Cannot open bus .dds skins, is this normal?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by krallopian, Jan 15, 2019.

1. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

I have limited experience with .dds files, but 99% of them seem to open except I've run into photoshop not displaying the bus skins!

I have downloaded a modded bus skin to see how they did it, and they open fine. Basically, there's a billboard on the bus and I wanted to edit it. It isn't in the skins for the bus mod I downloaded, so I'm looking in the citybus.zip from the game to inspect a skin annnnnnnnnd yeah, the skins aren't displaying. Every other .dds is though - interior, engine, jato, etc...

I googled but after a few links found no answer.
    --- Post updated ---
    Doing some file searching, I opened up common.zip in the game's vehicles directory and FOUND......... adcarrier_ad_d.dds! Yay, now to just figure out how to apply specific ads to specific skins =D

But original question remains - why aren't the .dds displaying in photoshop, where every other .dds is. Some sort of 16bit vs 32bit thing or something?
    --- Post updated ---
    So it was just a quick test to make sure the bus wasn't looking for something. . different.

So I guess I've got it then, I just need to find the bus uv's map now =D

Again, still curious why I can't open the default bus skins though. I CAN open them, but photoshop doesn't render anything.

Attached Files:

• funBus.jpg
  2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Those files uses DXT5 BC3 compression.
    Many plugins are older than that, so they don't support them properly.

For Photoshop use the Intel Texture Tools, it is recent and has full support for those.

3. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

There is also an addon for gimp which adds support for .dds files and different compression types including DXT5 BC3.

4. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

That's incredible, simple and direct! You da man Nadeox!!

Here's somethin' I just whipped up, figured I'd go code hunting. Sure enough there's a code commented out disabling the default license plate. So for all of us Ontarian's out there, put this up as a quick test!
    --- Post updated ---
    I've never used Gimp before, always been photoshop. Honestly always thought gimp was for linux =D

Attached Files:

• plate.jpg
  5. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

The name of that, or a link?
    It would help GIMP users :)

6. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Hmm... apparently there are a few different ones, I don't know which one I am using, as I installed it a long time ago...
    from quick google search I found this:
    http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/normalmap-and-dds-plug-ins-updated-for-gimp-2.8
    and this:
    https://gimp-dds-plugin.software.informer.com/ - this one is I think I'm using.

also I actually hate gimp, as it is way too complicated for me, but I haven't found any other free program which I would be able to modify normal maps in.

#6 Ai'Torror, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  7. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

I've downloaded Intel Texture Tools from their link: http://gametechdev.github.io/Intel-Texture-Works-Plugin/

I put'm in the plugins and scripts directory but they're a no go for working. Gotta keep working on that I guess.

Went from a 900mb PNG file to a 128mb DDS file though for my main layer (about 9 textures used it) not sure I improved FPS at all, but certainly improved load times =D
    --- Post updated ---
    Well it would help if I could read.

I was installing them to the program files x86 photoshop cs6 dir, not the 32bit, 64bit directory. WTF Adobe with the rando directory structure.

IT WORKED! I opened the bus textures, AND other textures - such as that 128mb dds I made - that didn't open and just crashed out photoshop. Thanks again Nadeox! =)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice