cars should be more planted

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by silver, Aug 12, 2013.

1. silver

silver
    Expand Collapse

ive noticed a few things very quickly about the handling. all the vehicles drive like they have no shocks, every bump leaves the cars bounding up and down causing the wheels to hop and slide off the road. the springs work perfectly but are far to unrestrained. and the second is massive tourqe steer on many of the cars and with the over sensitive steering strait line is impossible in the more powerful cars.

2. AceDeucey

AceDeucey
    Expand Collapse

3. atledreier

atledreier
    Expand Collapse

4. cml1of4

cml1of4
    Expand Collapse

Suggestions are great but the search bar is also great. Also, please remember this game is still in Alpha;)

5. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Suspension physics are fine. Stop nailing potholes and jumps at 60 mph and expecting the car to dissipate the force magically like in a GTA game. The tire model is a work in progress. We're getting tired of having this discussion about the suspension physics. We're the first game to actually simulate them properly and all we get is complaints because people think that the (wrong) way it's been done in past games is somehow realistic.

6. tuningfreak1

tuningfreak1
    Expand Collapse

thanks gabester. i think the suspention is just fine.
    maybe on a rally car or a trophy truck the suspension is different and more damping. but with the vehicles in game its just fine

7. cml1of4

cml1of4
    Expand Collapse

You can thank generations of Need For Speed and Burnout players for this lol. I played a lot of Forza when I had an Xbox but the work you are doing here is on another level. For an Alpha, the level of detail is surreal. I can't wait to see the final product.

8. silver

silver
    Expand Collapse

you know you guys have some major feed back issues, you want to release a game for public alpha testing expect to have the same treads pop up a lot, especially for things you aren't even considering is wrong just because your ego wont let you. now ive spent years working on cars including sports cars such as 1960 jaguar xk150's, including my personal jag and my daily driver for years were chev ck 1500' and ck 3500 which your pick up is basically based of off. so i can say with certainty that your system is not perfect. the trucks are under powered and any one can see your vehicles dance and jitter even when stationary.

now you guys can either stop telling your customers to go pound sand and actually listen and ask for suggestions or you should shut off the site, and make the testing private

so lets start again, your physics are fine. A1, however your vehicle mechanics need a little work. the springs on the car work fine however the shocks are not dampening enough. they allow for the body to bounce to long. and they let the wheels vibrate too easily, you notice it alot in the truck when doing a long slow bank instead of digging into the front outside tire they al start dancing and you slide out sideways well slower than it should. and its not even the case for all of them, the crown vic is almost dead on and drives like a charm. im not saying you need to go crazy but some fine tuning is in order

and the steering would seem to be a relatively easy fix. you say we all drive around at 60mph then slam the wheels side to side that's cause we haven't really got a choice. the fact that you slow their turning is good however you could also implement a system to help improve stability for people with controllers at least, like say at full speed have full left or right on the stick stop at 50% turning because no one needs or wants full range at top end however allowing for more fine tuned wheel corrections would make for a huge improvement in handling

so really you guys may be annoyed with repetitive issue treads but that's the nature of the business.

#8 silver, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  9. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

YOU work on a game for 2 years straight and then get pounded by hundreds of players complaining about your physics "not being realistic," when in fact they are extremely realistic.

With all the idiots coming in and immediately starting threads for something discussed 100 times because they didn't use the frickin' search bar, you'd be mad too. I don't blame the devs for having short fuses. I, as well as many others are getting really annoyed at people complaining about the physics and people trying to tell Gabe and the other devs how they should react to idiots like you.

10. silver

silver
    Expand Collapse

look i started a new tread cause the others were just flame fests just as this one is turning, i have real world experience that most others don't. sure the physics is good but you guys jumping up and down on everyone who see's discrepancies and their real world experience is a recipe for a failed game. now ive driven all the vehicles these cars are based off with the exception of the sports car, and even though its close its not perfect yet simple as that. and if they weren't ready for people to nitpick then its time to close the open alpha.

im not being rude or disrespectful here and i would love to see this game reach its full potential. i offer solutions, ideas, and experience. so im sorry that you guys have to see this alot but if you dont like it just ignore it no reason to slap them in the face.

#10 silver, Aug 13, 2013
  11. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

They are plenty ready for people to nitpick. But they are annoyed because they have to explain the same things over, and over, and over. If people would look at other threads( its threads not treads...tires have treads, forums have threads :/) they would have seen the devs answering the same questions over and over. If you are ABSOLUTELY NOT satisfied with the devs answers in other threads, ask them about your concerns in a thread that has already been created or PM them. No need for you to crowd the forums with the same question over and over.

12. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

I fail to see how having worked on a few cars makes you an expert on how they should handle being thrashed over massive potholes. Our feedback problem is people like who you seem to think they know absolutely everything about everything. We read all feedback and suggestions and investigate problems. Your personal opinion of how car suspensions should take extreme forces does not override the actual physics.

There is a dynamic steering system in place that does exactly that. If you still can't handle the vehicle even with the assist giving you the right amount of steering lock then I'm sorry, but it's down to a lack of driving skill. Many people have no problem at all driving and controlling the cars. It's a simulation. There's a learning curve.

13. Deewad

Deewad
    Expand Collapse

#13 Deewad, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  14. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

Probably scared the crap out of the driver.

oh and btw way, where can I get a 77770. That sounds pretty frickin amazing. :p

#14 n0ah1897, Aug 13, 2013
  15. Deewad

Deewad
    Expand Collapse

haha, its a NASA Prototype cost me 1.4 billion dollars

16. silver

silver
    Expand Collapse

so as a developer how much time have you spent driving these cars? i mean sure your soft body physics are perfect and almost mirror real life. but you immediately shoot down people who have really driven them. and you have a bunch of fans on here flaming them because you say its perfect and since none of them have driven them either they believe you cause this is not like any of the other racing games. so im done, you win. i will just go away and hope that your hubris doesn't ruin the game cause i truly love the concept and cant wait for it to make it into other games.

17. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Do you drop Crown Victorias from 3 feet in the air onto pavement? Do you drive them over speedbumps and potholes at 60 mph? Having driven a car doesn't suddenly make you an expert on how it acts in every single possible physical circumstance. Like I said: we build the cars according to their real-world construction. Spring rates, suspension geometry, dampers, and all. The underlying physics math is correct. Go find YouTube videos of cars going over jumps (on pavement, not dirt) and you'll be amazed at how much the movement matches the cars in BeamNG.

#17 gabester, Aug 13, 2013
  18. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

I've ramped my truck over railroads many times. When you hit the ground, you bounce...a lot. So saying that we don't have any experience is utter bulls***.

19. skymiracle

skymiracle
    Expand Collapse

Really, ur gonna go there...

One, update your game.
    Two, try driving a real car into an ocean deep pot hole, then you can say it's not realistic enough.
    Three, unless ur driving on a thrustmaster t500rs with th8 shifter on a wheel stand hooked up to a two thousand dollar computer. All this right after you drive like a complete nut job down the streets of London or whatever major city you live near for a real world comparison, then you can complain about the unrealism.

Ps, most of us have cars in real life too. WE KNOW how cars drive.
    If you want a "planted car", then get urself a ticket to Jupiter and drive there

#19 skymiracle, Aug 13, 2013
  20. Deewad

Deewad
    Expand Collapse

That's a pretty big jump, Also, I cannot find any video's of a crown vic hitting a pothole

#20 Deewad, Aug 13, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice