cars should be more planted

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by silver, Aug 12, 2013.

1. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Landing on soft dirt absorbs a lot of force.

#21 gabester, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  2. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Even despite that you can see its right side bounce up at least half a foot just as the camera drops down.

I find it funny how everyone who disagrees that the suspension is just fine tries to prove their point with videos that prove your point.

3. Deewad

Deewad
    Expand Collapse

Now I don't know why I keep posting here this thread is starting to get silly, But I drove around dry rock island for awhile, I cannot find a single bump that makes me lose control and bounce up and down like how you describe it.. Eaither your going damn near 100mph on these bumps, Or I cant find them

#23 Deewad, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  4. silver

silver
    Expand Collapse

so why do you all think im even talking about these massive pot holes? any in game changes i suggested were tested in game on the flat map or at reasonable speeds on the island

- - - Updated - - -

i never said "big" bumps i just said bumps, i just find its still too soft. again take the truck sit in the cab hit the gas get to 20 or so and hit the brakes once its stopped it sits there shaking like a scared chihuahua for 5 -6 seconds, my chev 1500 never did that and my 6600lb chev 3500 dose'nt even do that. and that just shows right there there is a little too much play. and with the steering be so sensitive on a controller and especially the keyboard it makes the cars very hard to correct when that play makes em squirly. you want realism but you never need that much steering even this rally driver rarely turns more that a half turn each way, so you need to help the guys without steering wheels by making the limits more realistic.

so really stop posting these ridiculous videos of cars trying to be airplanes. im talking about very slight fine tuning not making the cars indestructible.

#24 silver, Aug 13, 2013
  5. Deewad

Deewad
    Expand Collapse

Well, I use a steering wheel, So maybe this whole problem your having is because your using a controller? Also, That video looks like me racing around with my wheel, So maybe the reason you think it doesn't feel right is because you got a controller? Invest in a wheel. I've never used dynamic steering, That being said, This game is still in alpha, It may be improved in the future

#25 Deewad, Aug 13, 2013
  6. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Rally car with a super tight steering rack. Not exactly comparable to a full-size pickup.

And what you're talking about is a known problem with the tire model and has nothing to do with the suspension.

#26 gabester, Aug 13, 2013
  7. silver

silver
    Expand Collapse

ok cool look forward to it being fixed, and half a turn on any car at speed is alot on my one ton a half turn at 60kph will turn it sharp enough to flex the tire right onto its sidewall and keep a circle of about 25m diameter

and i like many dont have a steering wheel as its not really in the budget since this is the only game ide use it for. and many of the people looking to buy the game will only have a keyboard or controller after release, so as much as it feels like cheating to drop the sensitivity and limit the travel for keyboards and controllers, as a simulation you still have to take into account that driver intuition is hard to input trough those mediums, the best way would be to give sensitivity and speed vs steering % limiters in the options so players can treak their driving style to themselves without changing how the vehicle really handles. it wouldn't be taking away from any of the realism but would allow players to have more fine tuned control over their cars

#27 silver, Aug 13, 2013
  8. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

I don't want to get in a huge fight with the developers and the community but I will say the suspension is damn near perfect I think the issue is creating smooth realistic roads is the problem. I had an old civic and there was some roads I used to fly down. I'd do a good 60+ on this specific road we called the mountain course. 2 of my friends have wrecked their cars racing me on this road. One flipped his car the other slid off the road and hit a tree doing 50. So I can say I have a good grasp on the kind of driving that's in this game. To me I think the body's of the cars move a lot. I think that once Gabe gets the tire physics down properly we will see much better realism. Heck the mountain course was about the same road pattern as the small island map. My civic had skinny tires and worn struts and I did 60+ and it took the road smoother than the cars on beaming.drive. I know I'm an idiot but atleast I can say I can compare this game to something I've done.

9. Freakling

Freakling
    Expand Collapse

Small necro here..
    Since the product is still in alpha and what you're complaining about is not really the physics (if I understand correct it's the steering) What you could do is customise input.lua if you have the skills.

The parkingbrake has a function that goes something like (not 100% correct since I'm do not have access to the script at this moment)
    If Input.Parkingbrake > 0.01 Then ParkingbrakeForce = 1
    ElseIf Input.Parkingbrake < 0.01 then parkingbrakeForce = 0

To recalculate the steering you could switch this on speed.
    Something like this
    Function Steering()
    SteeringRate = Steeringinput / Speed.

Ofcourse it requires more code but it's definitely doable

Then apply this function to the axis in question and you get a scalable more controllable driving experience

Assuming you have 360 degrees of turn:
    If you do a full turn at 1mph the wheels will turn fully (i.e the steeringwheel will turn 360 degrees in one direction giving you maximum turn of the wheels).
    If you do a full turn at 99mph the wheels will only turn 3 degrees giving you only 1% of the maximum directional change needed.

I'm currently driving with a Xbox controller and this bugs me a bit that it's hard to control the vehicle at speeds since the steeringwheel is too sensitive.

If someone can send me the input.lua file as a PM then I can work on fixing this with some code.

//Freakling

#29 Freakling, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  10. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

We have been working on this on and off (dynamic steering) to make it more drivable - basically having it reduce the maximum lock with speed, but give full lock in counter-steer situations. We have a working example if you rename input_dynamic.lua to input.lua.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice