Cars you hate the most

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by General S'mores, Apr 5, 2018.

1. DD-Indeed

DD-Indeed
    Expand Collapse

Tatra had the protype of 97 ready years before Beetle. You sir need to learn your facts. And Beetle is evil car, simple as that. That's my opinion.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. SubaruSTI07™

SubaruSTI07™
    Expand Collapse

the beetle is still better than your s*bleep*y ugly Tatra heres a pic to change your mind

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DD-Indeed

DD-Indeed
    Expand Collapse

Got some issues with your head, huh ? Try to hit it once to see if your brains would settle down properly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Hologrampizza

Hologrampizza
    Expand Collapse

So, somebody has a different perspective and you stoop to petty insults? Stupid.

That engine seems to have been put in every Mk5 or Mk6 platform in the US with the exception of the GTI, R, and TDI models. You're in the US and want a gasoline powered Mk5 or MK6 that's not a sport model? the 2.5 is really the only option.

5. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

In Europe, number one market for this model, this engine was never available to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Then swap the engine if you really hate the 2.5, or just fetch yourself a compact Civic if you don't want a Mk.5/6 Golf (that isn't a sport model) because of that engine.

#306 General S'mores, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  7. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Well, I think you're not wrong about which one came first. According to Wikipedia, the Tatra 97 came two years before the Beetle/Type 1 hit the scene (1936 and 1938 respectively). Ferdinand Porsche even admitted to studying the 97 while working on the Beetle/Type 1.

Tatra sued them for damages, and while Porsche was willing to settle, H----r was not (obviously) and cancelled the case. Tatra later won in 1965 though, when Volkswagen payed them 1,000,000 Deutsche Marks.

And as far as I know, many people doesn't remember the Beetle for its association with one of the most evil factions to ever exist. Even I didn't really know about that part until I heard about it here on this forum. One of the things I knew people remembered it for is Herbie the Love Bug, and as others said, the Hippies, though when I think of the Hippies, the Microbus/Type 2 comes to my mind before the Beetle does.

IMO, I'd argue that it's probably the most successful car to ever exist, since it managed to reach over 20,000,000 produced units over a span of several decades. Not to mention it had two successors based on it, the 90's New Beetle, and the 2011 Beetle.

8. Volksauto

Volksauto
    Expand Collapse

The VW Type 1 was sold in millions because of how great of a car it was. Yes, the Beetle had MANY flaws. But it was a car that was very economical for its time and provided plenty of room for a small family for a low cost. Hippies liked the car because of that. The early VWs were pretty unreliable cars. But Volkswagen being the honest brand it once was didn't replace the Bug and redesigning it but rather improved it and updated every year by making it a better car. (ex. larger rear window for better visibility 1957-58) VW created one of the most famous ad campaigns of all time. It showed the Beetles flaws and poked fun at the car (nobody else did that), but VW would fix those flaws. Those ads made the car charming and lovable. That's why Disney made the 3rd highest box office movie of 1968: "The Love Bug"

The design concept was also ingenious. The rear mounted engine allowed for more room in the interior and removed a transmission tunnel. The rear engine also provided descent traction since the weight was over the rear wheels. The engine was air cooled because in the 1930's, many cars still used water for cooling rather than antifreeze in the winter so an air cooled engine was much better in the German winters. The engine although low powered was enough to cruise at a high speed and be very economical.
    Also, the bug had independent suspension which some cars today STILL lack.

9. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Wow. Never thought egging on an old ass design for decades is being an honest manufacturer. The most honest manufacturer is then Hindustan Motors.
    And the sensational design was stolen from Tatra, even VW admitted it.

10. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

There was also the Type 32 from Porsche, which suspiciously seems to resemble the Type 1.

This was also from the 30s.

11. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, because Ferdinand Porsche quite literally started Volkswagen itself at the time, and gee, I wonder why the prototype that would VERY obviously become the Type 1 look so similar....

12. Hologrampizza

Hologrampizza
    Expand Collapse

I'm not denying that there are other options, I'm arguing that VW let down a perfectly good platform by using a shitty engine. Also, an engine swap isn't as easy or practical as you're purporting it to be. It can take months of work, and in a modern car it might not properly integrate with every system.

13. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

But if you really despise the engine, might as well swap it out for another engine. Even if it takes a while before the swap is completely functional and finished, atleast you'll get something out of it.

14. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

An average buyer of a brand new compact car will never consider an instant engine swap, for they don't know how to do it themselves and won't waste money to have it done at a repair shop. Engine swap will likely cause reliability issues and will certainly void the warranty.

15. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

If they can't do that, they might as well get a Golf previous to the Mk.5 or Mk.6 or the newer compact Civics.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice