Cars You Like that Nobody Else Does

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by ADHDRacer, Mar 5, 2017.

1. pixeaudi

pixeaudi
    Expand Collapse

...33hp! The "2CV Super Sport GT-R RS Grand Sport Vitesse GT3 Turbo Clubsport", if you want.

2. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

Dude, you gotta stop and let people live and enjoy things. Not everyone is an anti-hipster electric vehicle hating person like you are.
    --- Post updated ---
    upload_2020-1-5_16-29-5.jpeg #hondadidnothingwrong

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

They did do something wrong: they made it exclusive to the revoltingly misbegotten liftback-lozenge-sedan-thing rather than the slightly better (and more traditionally sporty) coupe bodystyle.

Also, the aero kit embodies the "sporty" side of car design's devolution: rather than simply appearing sporty or even aggressive, it looks like an outright parody of the mid-2000s tuning scene, as if Honda is telling the teenagers of 10-15 years ago "we can rice out a Civic harder than you ever could!" This also means that the car takes very poorly to exterior modifications, as pretty much everything that could be done to the car, both visually and aerodynamically, already has been done from the factory (which may be why body kits barely exist anymore outside of wildly overpriced tack-on overfenders and an occasional splitter or wing upgrade).

4. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

Oh for fucks sakes, just leave the thread.

5. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Why did you come back again? Just to make other people hate you more?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

What, you think you can just kick me off the forum for having unapproved opinions?

#426 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  7. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

Just because the thread is about cars that people usually don't like doesn't mean you can just keep shutting people down for liking things you don't. I haven't seen you post not one entry on here. If you can only speak negatively on other's thoughts then why should we respect your thoughts on our thoughts? I'm 100% sure that if we treated your posts this way, you would be just as mad and frustrated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I have before, though offhandedly.

GM J platform: neat little do-everything car which gets dumped on by the Modern Internet Car Enthusiast because "GM = BAD", or, sometimes, because "FWD compact which is not carbon copy of EK Civic = BAD".

Fiero: great car and great-looking by 1980s standards, let down over and over by the Dilbertian unwillingness of the people in charge to put any effort into it until it was too late. The planned second-generation model would have rendered the SW20 MR2 completely pointless had it been built.

Z31: I didn't realize no one liked this car, but I suppose it does get lost in the shadow of the Z32 and later.

Chrysler K platform and derivatives: Back when a turbocharged engine actually meant something other than a boring exhaust note and artificially flattened torque curve, very few did them better than Chrysler. The Dodge Spirit, based on a stretched version of the platform, had a specially-upgraded limited edition that could wipe the floor with an M5 of the time.

Jeep Comanche: Jeep showed everyone what a crossover should be, and then they made a truck out of it. I can't think of many vehicles with more blank-slate potential than this one.

AMC Gremlin: Everyone called it ugly when it was new, but who's laughing now that its body style has (unfortunately) been adopted by most of the remaining non-crossover new car market?

Frankly, pretty much any pre-bailout GM product: The Modern Internet Car Enthusiast sees haphazard build quality and low-grade interior materials. I see tough, tuneable engines and invincible suspension. They weren't perfect by any means, but their enthusiast-friendly qualities are much greater than non-owners give them credit for.

Also, just caught this part:

Uh, I'm pretty sure you guys already do. Say anything negative about safety mania, heavy-handed regulation, the cult of efficiency, overzealous policing, automotive sameness, or (especially) the Sacred Bicycle, and get wolfpacked. From some of the things people say on this forum, and some of the things that people flip out about, you'd hardly be able to tell that BeamNG was a game about cars. That, in fact, is exactly why I'm always so "mad and frustrated". The car hobby is "racing" toward oblivion, and is not just stuffing its fingers in its collective ears, but actually lashing out at anyone who won't parrot the approved narrative of "Government good, regulations good, EVs good, robocars good, nonmotorized road use good, speed very very very bad, car culture isn't dying but if it has to because of _________ then I'm fine with that."

#428 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. pixeaudi

pixeaudi
    Expand Collapse

I like the first-gen Prius, but I would like it even better if it had a proper engine, like a turbo I4 or a V6 instead of powerless cardboard box with electric motors.

10. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

Well, I apologize. We are all entitled to our opinions whether or not if we like them. I have the right to say nothing is wrong with a car and you have every right to rebuttal that. This wouldn't be a discussion thread if we all were just yesmen to each other, now would it?

11. austen64

austen64
    Expand Collapse

In which Chuck short-circuits, turns his baby-temper-tantrum dial up to eleven, and cries that his mommy won’t buy him Pokemon cards in the Walmart toy aisle.

Chuck: does nothing but hate on everyone else’s opinions
    Everyone: tells him to stop
    Chuck: “It’s not fair you guys are hating on my opinions ):”

#431 austen64, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

Now that you put it that way...
    I retract my apology
    --- Post updated ---
    Honestly, with his rep on this site, I don't know what I expected. If he isn't making remarks he's being an EV-Nazi and sometimes both.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

"Government good, regulations good, EVs good, robocars good, nonmotorized road use good, speed very very very bad, car culture isn't dying but if it has to because of _________ then I'm fine with that."

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

I don't even know what his argument was there. Correct me if I'm wrong but no one ever said anything like that. If people were such eco-pacifists, they wouldn't come to a website dedicated to a game with one electric car that derives from a gasoline car. Also, when the hell did the racing community stop liking fast cars and wanting self-driving cars? He keeps doing this stuff I swear. He acts like Tesla is some mass-genocide company actively trying to brainwash people into buying electric. A large number of car guys like EVs. It's not a sin or anything.

These are the problems the car enthusiast community has the most: gatekeeping, accepting change and appreciation. You can't be a car fanatic but then continue to not even appreciate certain types of cars and just d*ckride one type of car. I've seen this everywhere. For example, a car guy who prefers old cars sees a new car and goes on a rant about it, keeps saying how everything modern is shit, but then continues to say "I lOvE AlL CaRS!". Ya don't. Another example, someone says "I prefer (x type of car), but I enjoy a few (y type of car)" and gets shit on for preferring something over another (personal experience). Things are different every year in any and every country and it will be like that till the end of humanity. Saying any modern car is crap is stupid because if you think about it there's no such thing as a "modern" car. Cars change very often. I guarantee that the Rivian trucks won't be seen as modern when a new electric vehicle company comes up possibly only next month. You never know. Cars never had a golden age. I'm sure not everyone liked the 60s and 70s Impalas as much as they do now. And yeah, even if there were really great cars back then, there were more than likely still cars, car trends, and car eras that people thought were shit.

I'm sure this rant didn't make the most sense but for christ's sakes, stop doing all this shit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Related but on-topic: My main problem with car culture is the Top Gear circlejerk. I like the Lexus SC 430. I drive one regularly and it's a damn good car. Nobody thought it was a bad car until that oaf opened his mouth.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

It goes that way for music too. People don't think songs or albums are bad until that idiot Fantano touches them. After that, people think you're some sort of freak for liking a song. As far as cars go, it's the new NSX for me. Yeah, it's overpriced, but it's not a supercar. Supercar is the wrong category for it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

To be honest SuperAusten64, I think Shotgun Chuck has different opinions about certain things then some of the users like you do. To me, Shotgun Chuck sounds someone who just doesn't like new electric vehicles or technologies. I also don't believe that Shotgun Chuck is actually going on baby temper tantrums, but maybe that's just my autism. Anyways, I can totally see users like you make posts debunking him and I can see why you have issues with him SuperAusten64.

So yeah, in conclusion. I'm fine with your opinions and Shotgun Chuck's opinions on cars.
    I think people have the right to believe what they believe, but I also think people have the right to disagree with it. I think people on here should have the right to dislike electric vehicles, modern cars, and cars in general if they want to :)
    You make a good point there. Someone who likes older cars, but hates new cars clearly doesn't like all cars. It's blatantly obvious that he doesn't like all cars. I'm not sure if anyone likes every car and vehicle in general ever made. I don't care for modern vehicles that much and I do think that they are uninteresting and boring, but I respect the fact that users on here tend to like modern cars.

You also make a good point about the "If you think about it, there's no such thing as a "modern car." and you are correct about cars changing often.

18. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Are you actually serious right now? If I say anything that goes even a little bit against the current zeitgeist, I get multiple people jumping down my throat to tell me I'm selfish and reckless and want people to die. That goes a little beyond "telling me to stop", as far as I'm concerned.

That is the best distillation I can come up with of the opinions I've heard on this and other forums.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? I used to, myself.

My theory is that these games attract people who really, on some level, want to tune and race, but have absorbed a few too many IPCC reports or scare ads to ever really be free, so they've convinced themselves that a synthetic simulation can be an acceptable substitute for real driving. To me, well... it can't. Not even Beam is on that level, and nothing ever will or can be. I would say something about the people who sort of have an interest in cars but still love cycling too much to restrict themselves so that driving can be how it used to and still should be, but unfortunately those people show up on forums dedicated to real-life cars as well.

Don't know, that's what I'd love to figure out.

Complain about safety regulations making cars heavier, more complicated, and harder to modify? You want people to die!

Complain about emissions regulations getting too heavy-handed and making tuning impossible? You want people to choke!

Complain about pedestrians and cyclists turning the world's best driving roads into exercises in fear and paranoia? You're a selfish, reckless fascist! You need to respect my rights!

Complain about cars getting stuffed with pointless shiny objects that just make them, again, heavier and more complicated? That's just what normies want so you can't object!

So I guess the answer would be "whenever it got taken over by urbanites who think a couple of autocrosses or track days is enough hard driving for one year".

Maybe not mass genocide, but Elon Musk is a scammy huckster getting rich off the government (and China's too, now!) The upper management of most car companies have drunk the Kool-Aid to one degree or another, but Musk is the Kool-Aid incarnate. If the system weren't trying to force EVs to happen, he'd probably be selling mall-kiosk cosmetics or some ridiculous MLM scheme.

It may still have a corrosive effect on the availability of project-car base material sometime in the future. EVs, right now, don't have much of a market without governments trying to foist them, but every EV bought and driven makes it look like there is or might be a market, at least on the high end, and also funds the development of future EVs. If this development process yields enough fruit, then EVs might become good enough to start invading mainstream market segments in earnest (I would say good enough for the clueless utopians in government to try to get rid of ICE altogether, but they're probably going to try that at some point whether EVs advance from here or not). And then we'll be looking back on today, when most cars do still have a soul of some kind and you just have to reprogram 27 computers, remove 500 pounds of extra weight, and have the engineering & fabrication capabilities of a professional race shop to find it, as the good old days.

Or at least, I probably will. The rest of you will have convinced yourselves that a silent, sterile experience is fun, or that driving shouldn't be fun in the first place.

I define a modern car as those built from 2008 onward. There were some signs of the party being over before that, but that was when the fundamental shift in design philosophy, from "onward, upward, better, faster" to "please the regulators, advocates, efficiency fetishists, and anti-groups first, the customers who'd rather text than drive second, and everyone else never" began to show itself in earnest. Eco-turbos, driver interference, and luxury lard all became diseases practically overnight, safety regulations (especially pedestrian and side-impact) really started to take a toll on design, and cars started becoming slaves to the wind tunnel in the worst way imaginable. I still feel like a car from the mid-1990s is fairly modern, but the difference between a mainstream car from that time and a mainstream car now is night and day in terms of responsiveness and tuneability.

Uh, no duh?

If I had to describe my overall opinions, I would call myself the automotive equivalent of a "white-scarf air force" - in other words, one that is only concerned with flying planes and wants to avoid other aspects of the modern battlefield, like cyberwarfare and unmanned aircraft. I'm the same way with cars, and proud of it (I guess you could say "leather-gloves car guy"?). Looking around car culture, I see a lot of people who... sort of like cars, I guess, but are more concerned with watching IPCC reports, or making the accident/injury statistics look better, or making the road safe for multiple modes of transportation (usually because they cycle themselves), or whatever else you can think of. I don't bother with any of that. When it comes to cars and the road, I am only concerned with tuning and driving ICE-powered motor vehicles. This is, in fact, why I go to car forums instead of cycling or climate/safety-advocacy forums.

And members of "the herd" don't either. Want proof? HEY GUYS, THE CHEVY CAVALIER WAS ACTUALLY A GOOD CAR!

19. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

I only read two lines of this. Listen, I can't speak for everyone but I'm not changing my mind about jack shit.
    Actually now that I'm reading this, you aren't helping your case. Just stop at this point because

A. I'm sure nobody wants this in their alerts anymore unless it's about the topic
    B. The thread is starting to derail
    and C. Trying to defend yourself is making things worse, clearly.

#439 Kasir, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Fair enough @Shotgun Chuck. If I was going out of state. I would take a car over a bike in a heartbeat. I could care less about modern cars to be honest. I don't hate them, but I don't care much for them. Also, you may or may not be correct about the "herd".

Also, about the cyberwarfare. I looked up cyberwarfare and I learned that it's apparently the use of technology to attack a nation.
    I think he is :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice