1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Changing A Map's Main Terrain Texture

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by cessni, Jun 9, 2016.

1. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

First of all, I would like to let you know that I am not into map creation/editing. So what I am going to ask you here may be either very easy to do or nearly impossible. I do not know.

The thing is I want to change the main terrain texture of the Nordschleife map. Either by replacing the correspondent texture or by changing its rendering size. Or whatever method is the easiest that allows me to go from this:

BeamNG.Drive.x64 2016-06-04 00-56-43.png

To something more similar to this:

Sin título.png

I really want to avoid any vagueness or argument. So please, be direct and do not make judgements/off topic questions here.

Thanks in advance. :)

#1 cessni, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  2. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Presuming that map has an identifiable material in the material editor you should be able to change the texture to whatever you want. Open the editor while in the map
    and select terrain paint. If it is set up as a material in there you can select to edit it and change the diffuse and normal textures there.

If it's set up as a 'basetex' that's a whole different story and I've never done it...or cared to.

3. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

That map uses 'meshes' for the whole terrain.
    You will probably have to edit the UVMap of those if you want to have proper UVs (Maybe not needed, depends how the original is mapped)

If you are lucky, it just uses a simple texture you have to replace.

But you will not get the same result as that one you posted, as meshes uses different methods from terrains materials (ex. no macro/detail based on distance)

• Like Like x 1
  4. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for your answers.

I forgot to say I found the responsible texture before taking that picture, that is why you see the grass greener than the default.

So I think it has to do with just the size of rendering and not a texture replacement.

I will use the editor then, if I understood correctly, to change its size.

nurburgring7.jpg ->

Attached Files:

5. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

The problem with nords is that I think it's a mesh map. The easiest solution is to go into the editor, select the object, go to the material editor, find the material in the list and add a detail texture set to a really high tiling amount.

Alternatively you could import the meshes to your 3d editor and scale up the UVs but that will be a bit harder.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

You can't change UV coordinates in the world editor.
    You need a 3D modelling program. Changing UV coordinates is basically editing the 3D model.

7. DirtGamer301

DirtGamer301
    Expand Collapse

Except devs replied which will most likely make my post kinda useless, I'll try to exlain it another way.

First thing I'd do in this case is finding the grass texture. This wouldn't be too hard, but depending on the file names and amount time consuming. Then, I'd replace it with whatever grass texture I wanted, check it ingame and decide whether that's the looks I want or not. If it's not (i.e. grass too much zoomed in) you can change the texture to something zoomed more out, but I think the best thing would be to import the 3d model of the Nordschleife with Blender (will take some time to load as it's quite huge) and look for the grass material and grasses meshes in the 3d model.
    Then split your window into two ones:

Next, set one of them as UV/Image Editor:

Select the whole grass part in the 3D view with shift+a, you'll see it as UV map on the UV image editor. Select it with shift+a in the UV/Image editor, then press on Image - Open Image. Open your grass texture. It'll be loaded as image. Press s and move the mouse to change the tilesize, to see what it'll look like you can change the render mode in 3d view to "Texture":

When done, reexport the model as dae with the same name and new material settings, put the new files into the zip. Atleast that's what I think you need to do, BNG specific things aren't really what I know much about.

• Like Like x 1
  8. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your answer! I will give each one a try and report back asap!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice