Cheap laptops that can run games?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Sparks4, Mar 31, 2017.

1. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

You're welcome. Your plan may be doable, but fixer-upper laptops aren't really a thing IMO. Adding RAM is sometimes a reasonable option and swapping a bad HDD or a good one or a regular HDD for an SSD is a thing, but beyond that there's not a lot of "fixing" to do inside a tight budget. That is to say, in an online auction you would not be the only bidder on a laptop which simply needs a $20 keyboard.

If my budget was $400 and I wanted to gamble I suppose that I'd look for a used unit running a 6th gen i5 or i7. A 6th gen i3 might also suffice. Actually it seems that I'll have to reevaluate my position on precisely what can be purchased for $200-400 USD... It appears that a used unit of under $300 might suit your needs just fine. Certainly under $400. Check this eBay search:
    http://www.ebay.com/...
    upload_2017-4-6_19-32-6.png

Keep a close eye on condition, but it seems that there are many good configurations available in this price range (used). There are multiple non-functioning units mixed into those results randomly. There are units which do not have a 6th gen processor mixed into the results, as well as units which may not have as much RAM as the search specifies (8GB)! :-( Models with the i5-6200u or i7-6500u should both actually be able to play BeamNG at fairly low settings but playable framerates. :)

I wouldn't recommend purchasing a used laptop which isn't advertised as fully tested. I also wouldn't recommend purchasing something that you aren't able to comprehensively test immediately (such as ordering a laptop with no HDD when you do not own a compatible HDD to test it with immediately upon receipt).

2. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

The laptop i have uses an I7-6500U with integrated Intel graphics 520, its not bad but definitely get something with a graphics cards as it will take a heap of load off of the CPU and you will be able to have both more cars and better graphics rather than just 1 of those.

3. nolotank

nolotank
    Expand Collapse

In my opinion "cheap laptop" and "can run games" contradict each other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. holographicdreams

holographicdreams
    Expand Collapse

Lowest settings or maxed out?

5. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

In that case I'm sure you'll be surprised after you read through my post last above.

6. lyndon123

lyndon123
    Expand Collapse

i tried to run this game on a hp compaq 6910p. lets just say it never ran the same again

7. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

laughs, that's a Core 2 Duo! its only DX9 too

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mort

mort
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  9. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  10. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rolph

Rolph
    Expand Collapse

12. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure you can rent it or buy it. I think I bought it.

13. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Simple. Get a PC, duct tape the monitor and keyboard to the tower, and attach it to a car battery, and you MIGHT have a chance of playing beam on the go for that price point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

The powersupply for that will be interesting, 12VDC to 230VAC to 12VDC+5VDC+3.3VDC :p

15. The _covet

The _covet
    Expand Collapse

Your best bet would be a used Dell Vostro 3700 with an i5 430m 4GB 1333MHZ ram and a GT 330 Gpu, I have one and it can run games at decent FPS aslong as you put the settings on medium at 1024x1024 just don't expect Beamng to run.

16. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

in other words, a 1st or 2nd gen Core i5 or higher machine with a GPU

17. The _covet

The _covet
    Expand Collapse

Even a first gen i3 can do gaming

18. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

yep, as long as its an M series CPU I think since a U series of the time will be awful

19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

A gt330 is an awful choice for gpu. A new budget laptops integrated chip can match it

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sparks4

Sparks4
    Expand Collapse

After all of this, I have gotten the dell latitude e6400. It has the intel core 2 duo which is interchangeable. And it has integrated graphics. But there is the nvidia version of this laptop that has the nvidia 370m chipset. Which i might decided to replace the motherboard later on. As this laptop is very capable. Its very easy to work on too. And considering I have gotten this laptop for free from a friend, its pretty good for what it is. I can run css and gmod at 50-60fps. But not other games such as csgo and beamng as this is a 32 bit system. But I can run beamng on here. Just not the newest version. I can run it at 5-10fps which isn't playable.. But at least the game started haha. For a nearly 10 year old laptop, this is good for what i need it for. Thanks for all the help. It's very appreciated. Later on when this dies, i might get one of the laptops you guys suggested as they'll be cheaper then.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice