Cheap laptops that can run games?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Sparks4, Mar 31, 2017.

1. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

Core 2 Duos are 64-bit processors. All you need is a 64-bit OS.

2. Sparks4

Sparks4
    Expand Collapse

Really? Huh. Didn't know that. It runs vista business. I'm considering to switch to windows 10 pro. I'm just a little lazy right now haha..

3. Username

Username
    Expand Collapse

My friend got a desktop with an i3-4400 or something like that with 8 GBs of RAM and a 500 GB HDD for $300 off Craigslist. You're not going to get a laptop that can play games on such a low budget.

4. John Beat

John Beat
    Expand Collapse

5. Cool Username

Cool Username
    Expand Collapse

Any halfway decent gaming laptop is really expensive. $200 won't cut it for anything but simple flash games. $800+ is what you need to spend if you want to be able to run almost any game, but you can get something for cheaper that might be able to run some games.

This one on amazon looks like it has pretty good specs and it's $350
    https://www.amazon.com/Acer-E5-575-...&qid=1497892717&sr=1-3&keywords=gaming+laptop

This one looks pretty good too, better than the last one for not much more:
    https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Premi...rds=gaming+laptop&refinements=p_36:2421886011

Something more in your budget:
    https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Premi...rds=gaming+laptop&refinements=p_36:2421886011

I'd advise focusing on getting 8gb+ of ram and a good graphics card. 1tb hard drives are also pretty nice to have if you play a lot of games

6. hduncan806

hduncan806
    Expand Collapse

The ASUS X555L has a I5 5500U and a gt 920 2gb and 6gb of ram for about $220

7. Sparks4

Sparks4
    Expand Collapse

I might get this one you suggested. https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Premium-Performance-Dual-Core-Processor/dp/B01LVX99QJ but then again its 500$ because I live in Canada so it bumps the price a bit. I'll consider this one, but i'm still on the look for one under 400-350$ canadian.

8. Sparks4

Sparks4
    Expand Collapse

Is the acer e15 with the 7th gen i3, and the intel hd graphics 620 any good? I seen videos of this laptop running overwatch, csgo, gta and bioshock. Will it run beamng and other games such as battlefield? Considering it can run those overwatch, gta5 and bioshock at 720p and at low-med graphics settings at 50-60 fps. I think it might run beamng.

And for 350 I might get it.

9. Raft

Raft
    Expand Collapse

it will run beamng, but not high settings
    i ran beamng with a g620 + intel hd machine and it did quite well in the gridmap, but that was around version 0.4/0.5, but if a pentium can do it, then a i3 will definitely run beamng
    also dont expect to run any map with a lot of trees like ecusa
    but battlefield 1 probably not, minimum requirement needs a i5 6600k and a gtx 660, your gpu is probably around gt630

10. DuneWulff

DuneWulff
    Expand Collapse

Remember that Beam is, unlike those other games, a physics simulator at heart. It requires a lot of processing power to comfortably run.
    However, I input all of your specs into GD's requirement scanner and the results are... incredibly underwhelming. It'll run Beam, but chances are without a major boost the game won't run at the minimum fps. (which I believe is 20 frames per second)
    Also, GTA and Overwatch are games which have been optimized to a ridiculous amount - they will run on PCs older than I am.

11. Sparks4

Sparks4
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the quick responses. I didn't realize the minimum requirements in bf1.. So nvm about that, but for what this laptop is and what you get for this price is pretty good so I might get it. I'll also upgrade to a ssd later on, but I will upgrade to 8gigs of ram right away. It has the new i3 7th gen which is a plus. There is a i5 version of the laptop, but I don't have the money for it

On my main computer I have a i5 7500 kaby lake cpu and the msi gtx 970 and 16gigs of ram. It can run beamng flawlessly. 130fps+ it more.. My main pc is a beast. It doesn't care what map or how many cars I spawn it always stays above 70-80fps or more.
    I just wanted a budget laptop that can game on the go really haha.

12. Sparks4

Sparks4
    Expand Collapse

I have gotten a used asus k53e laptop, which comes with the i3 2350m and intel hd 3000. I already replaced the mobo as it finally gave out... And the Intel graphics is decent, but I can't run "newer" games which require directx 11. I was thinking if it is possible to use the mobo from the k53sv? It has the same ports and such, but it has the GeForce GT 540M. I can also upgrade to the i7 2nd Gen 2630QM at the same time because the cpu is not soldered into the board.

Will this work? I'm not 100% sure. It has the same ports, so that means it'll work? I want to upgrade the laptop, because i want something that i can use when im away from home. Which i do have a good desktop, with a i5 7500, and a gtx 970.

13. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

might do, i know that literally everyone on the forum would be against this but if the motherboard is cheap enough then you might as well, but you might have to get a new fan too, as the other one might be upgraded and have a seperate pad that goes on the GPU

14. Sparks4

Sparks4
    Expand Collapse

The mono I got to replaced the one that was fried when I got this laptop was 50$canadian.. The motherboard with the nvidia chip is just 15 dollars more maybe.

15. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

You might as well, but check for any fan changes, there will be an extra portion on the motherboard that will need to be cooled (GPU!) and so you don't want to fry your Nvidia GPU. So get the new fan or heatsink (check for any different part numbers)
    You will have to get the one with the extra contact point, like this one:

Your heat sink fan will look like this...

The one with Nvidia graphics has an extra heatpipe too

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice