Cities: Skylines

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by General S'mores, Apr 1, 2018.

1. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

The empty parts is due to the fact that they haven't got much interest yet. I also currently saved it (so I can destroy the "town" again without having to redo the town).

I also had a issue with the coastal neighborhood getting flooded (which made me have to alter the terrain and get vacuum trucks to absorb the water), but by the time I saved the game, the problem was finally solved.

2. QUANTUM0

QUANTUM0
    Expand Collapse

Huh, I’ve also get a section of road in my city that occasionally gets flooded, but most of the time it’s at least 10 meters above sea level

3. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

My road was unfortunately coastal, and the terrain was close to water level.

Again, atleast the problem is no longer relevant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Current city that I am working on. Aiming to make it more cycle and pedestrian focused, with a strong bus system using dedicated bus roads to avoid traffic. As well as this I am also trying to make it somewhat mixed zoning, including education status.
    20180820211154_1.jpg 20180820210611_1.jpg 20180820210709_1.jpg 20180820210548_1.jpg
    I run with quite a few mods, mostly to stop the game from preventing me from doing stuff.

• Like Like x 3
  5. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Is it set in Europe?

6. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I guess? Since American cities often conform to a grid layout.

However, it could really be anywhere. Cities skylines doesn't really offer the tools required to do European cities.

So long story short, I'm not aiming for any sort of national theme, just trying to build a good liveable city.

7. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

There is a official European map theme though.

8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Sure, but it makes more or less no difference. European architecture looks nothing like Cities Skylines' "European" theme. In addition to that Cities skylines without mods doesn't provide the tools to create a European style city. And even with mods its a struggle. In addition to this, with modern buildings, there really isn't much difference, a glass tower is a glass tower, regardless of location.

As far as the games themes are concerned I have a mod that grants me access to all buildings from both themes.

Apparently the map is a European theme map, but I actually had no idea before checking just now, since as mentioned above, it makes no difference to how the game plays for me.

9. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I guess the architecture is supposed to be kinda generic.

Also, I'm currently waiting for a tsunami to hit the GTA map (most popular savegame yet).

10. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

To be perfectly honest with you, I'd say Cities: Skylines has more of an European theme than it does an American one. I guess because the people behind it, Colossal Order and Paradox Interactive, are from Finland and Sweden respectively.

If you want it to truly feel more American or any other country, you need to get mods.

11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

My biggest problem with the game is its total inability to do farm land. Cities XL paved the way on how this should be done, in this specific respect Cities Skylines felt like a backwards step. Of course there is far more to a city building game than that, which Cities Skylines did improve upon.

However I don't think the city building genre has reached where I would like it to be yet. Since Cities Skylines is still inherently grid based, I think I would much rather see something vector based, where plots can be any size and buildings are generated to fit into the plots. Preferably with roads being able to adjust their width based upon space, allowing a 2 lane road to squeeze through a tight gap with car waiting in turn on either side to pass through.

But I can dream I guess :p

12. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Atleast it's better than what SimCity 2013 came out to be. It has such a big modding community (even bigger than Beam, that's for sure) and it doesn't forcefully rely on online servers.

Also, if you want to change building sizes, there is a asset editor FYI.
    --- Post updated ---
    I'm back messing around with Mallence.

13. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

When I say any size, I mean any size :p

There is an obscure little City Builder from way way back in 2010 called "Synekism". Its not a game, more a tech demo, and not an advanced one at that. But it shows what I meant.
    upload_2018-8-20_22-34-47.png
    Typically in a big city, the buildings are designed to fit into their plots. Similar to the Flatiron building in New York.

Obviously the above "game" doesn't account for buildings having plaza's/trees/parking or even traffic. As I said, its super simple. But its a good demo of where I think the future of city building games should be headed. Since in a small residential area square houses can be placed within plots of any shape, whereas in a city buildings can be shaped around the plots.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Anyways, what upgrades should I do with Mallence?

Maybe I should start trying to make traffic less heavy?

15. Alex [ITA]

Alex [ITA]
    Expand Collapse

A closer look at the mountain city:
    20180821151603_1.jpg
    And I realised today that my traffic flow is better than when this valley had 30K people. Lol
    20180821152213_1.jpg

#135 Alex [ITA], Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  16. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Any suggestions for my town? (Already added another piece of town).
    --- Post updated ---
    My first rocket (Codename: Maluch) is ready for launch! :D
    --- Post updated ---
    Some buildings look European.

Others look foreign (or a bit out-of-place).

17. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I added 2 districts (of existing parts of the city):
    • North Mallence (1/2 of the meat of the city)
    • Produce Area (industrial area)

18. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

District update!
    1. Mallence's Industrial Area (size upgrade and renamed)
    2. North Mallence (still growing)
    3. South Mallence (newly introduced!)

#138 General S'mores, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  19. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Created a new Commercial centre with some offices mixed in.
    20180822181146_1.jpg 20180822181434_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice