Cities: Skylines

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by General S'mores, Apr 1, 2018.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I might do? Not sure, there are too many mods that I have. But to be able to do cool things, mods are either required or save so much time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I meant that it seems you have the mod that changes the structure designs to look more European.

3. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I don't think I have any mods that do that.

The only mod in that sort of area that I have is the one that allows me to use "European" and "International" buildings on the same map. I do also use Prop Align tool to create hedge rows, Move It! to place things appropriately and Prop/Tree Anarchy to let me place stuff where I want to.

This map in particular has 0 zoning on it. All buildings are placed individually by hand.

4. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

NVM, I think it comes with the game (not sure if it required DLC for so).

Anyways, what do you think about my Canadian-based city Mallence?

5. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Its difficult for me to comment on, since I don't live in Canada. So here is some general thoughts on stuff.
    upload_2018-8-22_19-35-28.png

One question I do have is...
    How is your city so unprofitable?

Part of the answer to that may be your staff issues. In most city building games, the implicit goal is to level up all of your buildings to the highest level, as if you have created a Utopia where everyone is highly educated etc. Which sounds nice on paper, but Cities Skylines takes the more realistic view of that not being possible. If you level up your entire population to max education, you are left with no one to fill the more menial jobs. This means you can't build any new industry, since there is no unskilled labour to work there before it has the chance to level up to meet high skilled population. Hence it goes kaput. So you may want to consider building some lower level buildings, and areas with lower education standards.

• Like Like x 1
  6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

There are no robotic workforce? I guess it does not go very far in future then? Haven't played that game, so bit clueless.

7. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Sadly not. As such, still need to have a fair chunk of unskilled labour to keep the city running.

Haven't posted this video of mine in this thread before, so if anyone likes roundabouts, well, you might like this video xD

• Like Like x 2
  8. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I'll consider your thoughts into consideration.

Here's my responses:
    I think a train station would be a good idea. Don't know what I would use it for though.
    The junction was placed there by the map maker (the map is Port Nelson FYI).
    I might remove that airport and place a bigger one (the International Airport) in South Mallence.
    Don't really know why I would need a lighthouse though. Most of the ships would take the bigger
    I placed the junction there only because a few houses were have issues with garbage piling up.
    The single bridge has more lanes than North Mallence though, and so does the whole layout of South Mallence
    The 2 big junctions were there so I can increase residential (workers issue is still relevant).
    I can connect the motorway with the South area, but not right now due to the fact that South Mallence is still just roads.

9. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I would probably do something like the following
    upload_2018-8-22_20-35-0.png

Of course if you are just building low residential suburbs, you could probably tone some of this down a bit. At a high density level, this won't solve all problems, but it should help out a bit.

10. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Might be a bit excessive with the rotaries (what they call roundabouts in America).

11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

When designing a car centric city, keeping the traffic flowing is difficult with traffic lights. Especially since cities skylines doesn't intelligently control them like in the real world, where they may change colour based upon who is waiting, as well as change in a specific pattern (in combination with other junction's lights) to keep traffic flowing. As such roundabouts are a great high volume solution in cities skylines.

The lack of intelligent traffic light timing is why putting two junctions next to each other doesn't work. Essentially, the lights stay on for a certain amount of time, if only 10 cars can fit on the short section of road between the intersections, then only 10 cars can flow through that section of road. At which points the lights are still green, blocking other roads, but no one is moving, since the 10 cars are long gone. This completely bottlenecks the entire road system. Causing huge tailbacks. If you only have one bridge connecting the two sides of your city, and it can only flow 10 cars per light change, then major traffic issues will arise.

Some other cities of mine, cause why not eh
    20170819153050_1.jpg 20170226141712_1.jpg 20170819153148_1.jpg 2016-02-02_00002.jpg

This one was a bit of an experiment to see how far I could go with roundabouts :p
    20160908211834_1.jpg
    I would recommend giving it a full screen since its a little more funky than first glance may suggest. Its essentially a row of 4 roundabouts linked together in a line, that line then twists around to allow each one to serve a neighbourhood going in a certain direction. Its not as effective as a magic roundabout (similar to the video above), since cars going from one side to the other still have to traverse the middle roundabouts, as shown below.
    upload_2018-8-22_23-35-17.png upload_2018-8-22_23-39-3.png
    But it was good fun to see it in action :p
    The increase in distance isn't good for the environment though, and unlike on smaller scales, it doesn't encourage mass transit or walking/cycling. Since mass transit has to take the same route, and the beefy road infrastructure acts as walls to walkers and cyclists.

12. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I could do the rotary connecting the highway to South Mallence.

Also, I added another bridge already (though on the other side of the first bridge)
    --- Post updated ---

The rotary has been implemented.

13. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Did a bit of adjustments to all districts of Mallence.

14. QUANTUM0

QUANTUM0
    Expand Collapse

Here it is
    54E16F4B-A44E-48F7-A606-D41709702D07.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  15. QUANTUM0

QUANTUM0
    Expand Collapse

Brisban is a city based in the north of the Lake District, UK. It’s located here:
    EA88B204-9F93-4507-8D48-86BA1AFB31B4.jpeg
    9BF45FBC-1882-4335-A440-31898FD9B194.jpeg
    It’s a new city I’m starting and it’s meant to be more realistic than the others. Originally it was meant to be in Wiltshire but the vinilla maps in CS wont allow it, so Lake District it is
    FB55BE73-E5CA-4866-9364-B73D2749D6EE.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  16. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I did a few more adjustments to Mallence yesterday and the day before.

• Like Like x 1
  17. QUANTUM0

QUANTUM0
    Expand Collapse

An actual vanilla custom bus station
    E7163A06-3276-4F64-A89E-59D50CCFC215.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  18. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

Seems more like a mass transit transfer station.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. QUANTUM0

QUANTUM0
    Expand Collapse

The newly opened M79
    A07CB9B4-9D8E-44D4-B814-93433DFE85D5.jpeg
    Also another custom bus station/transit hub
    6DE25524-7668-41AD-AAAB-B42E9BE7AB34.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  20. QUANTUM0

QUANTUM0
    Expand Collapse

A fake ad for my city's transport
    hdfhHIAH.png
    (just realised it probably shouldn't be scotrail, ah well)
    --- Post updated ---
    There we go
    wuedfh.png

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice