WIP Citroen C4 Picasso

Discussion in 'Community Mods - Archived' started by slysenko, Sep 2, 2013.

1. slysenko

slysenko
    Expand Collapse

Temporarly added some additional beams to front suspention to have it working until either macpherson support will be added to beamng or substitutional beams structure created.

#61 slysenko, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  2. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Though the roof and pillars and all that do play a huge role in structural rigidity, I think the floor and quarter panel and firewall as you have them should be a bit more rigid (increase spring/damp or add more beams)

3. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

maybe less bendy and more breaky.

#63 moosedks, Oct 24, 2013
  4. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

I don't know that an underbuilt 80s Hyundai is that comparable to a modern car that gets 5 stars in crash tests...

But yes, even that thing looks more rigid as just a floor and firewall/quarter panels than your current structure.

5. slysenko

slysenko
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, thanks for your reply, I agree, current beamSpring values are lower then expected. I will make it more stiff, also taking in account that picture posted on front page which shows location of additional plastic solidification parts.

6. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Try not to get carried away with separate parts. I think you will find it creates a huge amount of problems. It's best to simplify.

7. slysenko

slysenko
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I see that I got carried away already - because I had almost complete body shell and then snapped into this splitting up theme ... :rolleyes: But anyway, I like current jbeam structure more then previous one. I'm reassuring myself by future support of OpenCL so that this big amount of beams will be compensated by GPU computations.

But for rigidifying elements - I agree. No new parts, I'll stick with parameterized beams.

#67 slysenko, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  8. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

hmm, a car body is a corrugated structure, if you ever played with a piece of cardboard you should be roughly familiar with it's physical properties. That video from Davesfarm shows it off, because you notice the car is flexing in one very specific place.

so you bend a piece of cardboard and it'll happily oblige to a point until you end up folding it and removing the corrugations in one specific area. That area becomes a very flimsy point where the structure wants to flex which is why you see the car behave like that in that video. It bends pretty much specifically in the middle, where the car folded. But a car body is extremely rigid until you do damage it.

9. asad1234

asad1234
    Expand Collapse

Reminds me of Walter whites car :'(

10. Glenni91

Glenni91
    Expand Collapse

That's actually a Pontiac Aztec. =P

11. slysenko

slysenko
    Expand Collapse

This video basically demonstrates the actual idea of modular construction of jbeam data, when it is possible to separate some part of a whole and observe how the model behaves in this case. Sure, this approach requires much more effort for each part then a classic one, because it is important to enshure that each part behaves as expected in different cases. Additionaly, the density of jbeam data is much higher then in case of classic building approach. So this project gradually becomes more like a some sort of load/stability/performance test for BeamNG engine, as well as for me :)

#71 slysenko, Nov 6, 2013
  12. Glenni91

Glenni91
    Expand Collapse

Once it is all put together though, will it behave normally, or will it all flap about like a garden shed in 90 kmh?

13. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

I think the parts are all still too floppy in isolation. For example, when you remove the thing that was holding the front fenders, they began to flutter around like paper. I suggest adding a node floating some small distance away or underneath, attached to every node of the fender with weak beams, to make it realistically rigid. I do this for pretty much all of my body panels.

14. slysenko

slysenko
    Expand Collapse

The final model should behave as close to reality as possible, but I honestly don't even roughly now when it will happen ;)

Yeah, there are such support beams there, I've just definitely under-beamSpringed them. :) Generally this is common problem for all model - to set beamSpring to required level, I have to increase node weight above wanted. So to have proper stiffness, the mass have to be more then real. I suspect there is way to overcome this, but for now I've postponed this fine-tuning up until I'll complete all the drafts.

15. slysenko

slysenko
    Expand Collapse

Current status of the car:
    Too heavy
    Too slow
    Too wobly
    Too fragile
    No new parts in a while due to nineteenth round of jbeam meshes refactoring

Next steps: finalize/fix front and add rear bumper, headlights. Then, add hood and rear door. Then, add other doors. Then - proceed with interior. In parrallel - reducing weight and fine-tuning jbeam parameters.

Update: picasso.0.7.1.M4-suspension.zip has small update to suspesion: several support beams to avoid instant wreckage, so that now it is possible to jump small tramplines on Grid map.
    However, front springs aren't overstiffened anymore, and as soon as there are no sway bar yet, driving straight is almost impossible. But rollovers are even more easy to do.

Attached Files:

#75 slysenko, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  16. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

Its nice to have a car that everyday people use to crash rather than some rock crawler or somthing

17. TNOMCat

TNOMCat
    Expand Collapse

There's no rock crawlers in the game :p

18. Kirahl

Kirahl
    Expand Collapse

I assume he's talking about the crawlers made by the community in the Drive section of the forums.

19. Glenni91

Glenni91
    Expand Collapse

It's always more amusing with regular cars, more parts to fall off, you never know what extent of the damage will be if you hit that rock, etc. =P

20. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

There are 3 which I know of as 3rd party mod content, there are also mods to convert the D15 to a crawler.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice