1. This section is for official content brought to you by BeamNG. Please keep the discussion civil and posts constructive to avoid spam. Posts disregarding these guidelines may be removed without any notice.
    Dismiss Notice

Civetta Bolide

Discussion in 'Official Content' started by gabester, Sep 10, 2012.

1. shockwaffleman

shockwaffleman
    Expand Collapse

Well, almost. In my case, the fullsize shreds its rear wheels when putting on the handbrake in gear.

2. BBQ

BBQ
    Expand Collapse

I think I have discovered a glitch with this car. When using fully manual tranny in any gear, when you start to brake, the clutch also applies, but very jittery.

screenshot_00016.jpg

Here in the picture I'm applying both the brake and the throttle, and as you can see, the clutch also engages, even though I'm not pushing it.

3. Lokio27

Lokio27
    Expand Collapse

The game is pretending you are a ninja.

4. Braindead

Braindead
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking, isn't the top speed of the Bolide a tad high at somewhere over 200mph? Cars of the time like the Muira, BB512 and Countach had top speeds from 170 to 180 most of the time. Personally I haven't top speed tested the various models so maybe the speeds are lower on the less sporty models.

5. Javile

Javile
    Expand Collapse

Yes, the 320 and the 350 GT aren't quite as fast as the 390 GTR (or at least I haven't been able to get them to go that fast). Of course, the fastest I ever went in a 390 GTR was a little over 160, so...

6. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

The standard Bolide 350 GT only goes 170, which is about right. Remember, the 390 GTR is a balls-to-the-wall super duper top-of-the-line model. It's somewhere between the Ferrari 288 GTO and the Ferrari F40 (one goes 190 mph, the other 201 mph). My last top speed test of the 390 GTR only got it up to 197.

7. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

Ive gotten to 201 in the gtr 3980 :p

8. mtchll3

mtchll3
    Expand Collapse

the countach had an actually quite high drag from memory, and the 375hp version was bearly slower than the top version (excluding the turbo s) which produced 455

9. Antonov225

Antonov225
    Expand Collapse

Pardon the (probably exceedingly stupid) question, but is it turbocharged? I know the Covet has a turbo option, but it's an aftermarket part.

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Maybe the 390, but generally the Italians seem to prefer naturally aspirated vehicles, you get the odd turbo but they didnt sling em all over the place.

11. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

agreed

12. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

So I decided to try something out. Shoved the race engine into the standard setup and took it rallying.

I could be a lot faster if I wasn't on the limits of the car's handling. Trust me, I had enough attempts before this to tell you... This is the limit of the car's handling. I'm holding back so much because the arse of this thing can randomly decide it wants to fuck off to whatever side it fancies at the time. Either I'm faced with an unwinnable drift or horrendous snap oversteer. I find myself wanting a suspension setup that handles the car's weight just that little bit more gracefully, and raised so I don't bottom out a lot. I find I want a steering box with that tiny bit more lock... and some shocks that don't catapult the back of the car into space when I take a jump. But I think this thing has some potential behind it. For what it is, it handles rough terrain quite well. With a proper rally setup it might turn into BeamNG's version of this

(imported from here)

so I'm wondering... any official rally bolide in the works?

#232 Hati, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  13. 14ramosr

14ramosr
    Expand Collapse

14. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Well, MR-R layout isn't exactly ideal for rallying. You're totally right about unwinnable drifts where the entire rear end swings around, pulling the front along with it.

I did some tinkering with it, and the handling is highly adjustable via the diff's torque setting. The default LSD setting is a good even-ground between understeer and oversteer, but if you want lots of understeer and one rear wheel spinning to warp speed on any steering attempt, lower it. This might make rallying a bit more stable and less of a loose cannon. If you want crazy oversteer and it to be undriveable at high speeds, increase it.

Also - what happened to your graphics card about halfway through the video? Crazy artifacts!!

15. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, having a tinker around with it myself just to see if I can pull a rally setup from it. Something official in the works would please me greatly. As for my graphics card... it's a finicky piece of crap and I suspect it's just a fault with the R9 280x in general since I've RMA'd it like 5 times but scan.uk is being a dick about me getting a refund or exchanging for something else. Not like I'd go to the nVidia alternative seeing as I hear far worse things about the memory on those cards. Since this generation of GPU's seems to be complete arse I'll cope and upgrade out of it in about 4 years. However, that artifacting is a fault specific to that map, more than 30 minutes on there and I get those hellish artifacts. Beam is fine with anything else for the most part. Any artifacting is entirely minor for anything else.

16. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

IMO the Bolide is already rally spec. Pretty high off the ground and very softly sprung. Take a stock 512BB on that "road" and it would have snapped wishbones and oil pouring out of its smashed magnesium sump within 10 seconds of driving :p

Also want to say the understeer to snap oversteer is exactly how a MR or RR car tends to act. You usually cant hold more than a few degrees yaw before its all over. Period supercars also had very little steering lock due to the competition between wheelwell and footwell.

17. Nivracer

Nivracer
    Expand Collapse

These are the speeds I have hit with the 3 versions.
    screenshot_00017.jpg screenshot_00018.jpg screenshot_00015.jpg

18. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

I suppose you're right... stick a livery on it and no-one's any the wiser. but to me it feels 'almost rally' spec. Like it could do with a setup that's tuned a bit more, some grippy dirt tires for it too. There isn't much that needs to happen for my frustration to go from holding back because if I push it I'll die to being able to push it and constantly crashing. I mean, I've plodded in a little bit more angle when it comes to steering and it didn't take much to drastically improve things. I can recover the car now from the angle it most commonly falls into when I drift with it and it's probably only about 2 degrees more lock. I raised the suspension up a bit, again not by much and now I'm finding the car's suddenly not doing it's best to kill me when the track is a bit demanding on the suspension. Put some lights on it and it's a good'un.

19. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

The random oversteer of doom reminds of playing NFS Hot Pursuit 2 - all three of the low-class MR roadsters (Lotus Elise, Opel Speedster, Vauxhall VX220) did that. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that they were MR for a low polar moment of inertia and thus fast rotation, but in that game they handled like a parody of an old Porsche 911 - once the rear end was gone, no amount of countersteer would bring it back!

Another reason the (Australian) Ford TS50 was the best car in that class despite its slow acceleration. Unlike the MR roadsters, it actually had some top end and wouldn't kill you if you made a mistake, but it wasn't a boat like the CL55 AMG either.

20. nathan12276

nathan12276
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice