1. This section is for official content brought to you by BeamNG. Please keep the discussion civil and posts constructive to avoid spam. Posts disregarding these guidelines may be removed without any notice.
    Dismiss Notice

Civetta Bolide

Discussion in 'Official Content' started by gabester, Sep 10, 2012.

1. TheFastRacer

TheFastRacer
    Expand Collapse

No, stupid questions doesn't excist. Stupid answers do excist though.

2. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

You provide the second part to the statement by spelling exist wrong :p

3. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

I'm happy to report that we're working on a new tire model and it's promising so far :) The Bolide is far more drivable and stable than it was with the old model. The new model also allows for realistic wheel and tire damage (bent rims, torn up/flat tires, etc.)

4. TheFastRacer

TheFastRacer
    Expand Collapse

That sounds briliant! Can you show us some screenshots of the rim/tire damage soon?

5. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

And maybe some cool explanation on how it works, if you guys have time for it/feel like it... I love reading that kind of stuff :D Sounds cool man!

#105 Mythbuster, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  6. MindEraser

MindEraser
    Expand Collapse

Agreed. I'd also be keen on seeing comparisons/improvements over RoR's. It always annoyed me how tires would suddenly get super grippy when they're rotating on the sidewalls, due to more nodes touching the ground at once. I'm hoping that the improved tire model in BeamNG would fix this.

7. TheFastRacer

TheFastRacer
    Expand Collapse

I hope that the overall handling of the cars would be way better and way more realistic than the handling in RoR

8. luke198

luke198
    Expand Collapse

Flat tires FTW!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Can we PLEASE get a screenshot? just one? It doesn't take long to post a picture.:D

#108 luke198, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  9. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Well now that is just fancy. Well done to you all!

10. Budnytrain

Budnytrain
    Expand Collapse

Sounds fantastic, always great to hear about the progression of the game, keep it up guys ! :D

11. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Is it still possible for the tires to do the weird stretch/tear thing from RoR if they're put under too much tension? I know no code is shared but since BeamNG uses the same skeleton idea I assume certain things could happen again.

12. Dannuborgir

Dannuborgir
    Expand Collapse

So nice to hear that. I hated when in rigs of rods it did matter how fast you crash the tires did broke fully.

13. Binkey

Binkey
    Expand Collapse

I am VERY excited for this game. Also, i can wait. The progress you've made is amazing. I honestly thought more people would be interested in this game. Anyways, fantastic job on the wheels, from what I hear there more succesful than the old ones.

-Binkey

14. jacke0247

jacke0247
    Expand Collapse

Looked at some group-B rally and saw a Lancia 037 and it reminded me of Civetta Bolide. I wold love to see a group-B variant of that car!

Something like this, with a rear and front spoiler and some vents and of course a massive turbo and plenty off power. 350 hp and 900kg sounds good to me ;)

(imported from here)

Lancia 037

(imported from here)

15. senn82

senn82
    Expand Collapse

Hi guys I'm only new, but I noticed something with the way this car handles.

Once you're doing a fair bit of speed (say 130kmh+) this car seems to pull to one side. I don't know if it's tyre physics, or if the Aero of the car (generating lift & causing loss of traction @ speed? Sideways push?) is causing this sliding, but it currently feels very broken to me. None of the other cars seem to have this issue (but a lot of them can't go as quick as this either!)

Is it a known issue/being worked on/ etc etc

16. LandYacht76

LandYacht76
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I noticed this myself. It's getting worked on, for sure.

17. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Yes, we are aware of this problem and have been investigating it for some time. These physics are sort of a "wild animal" in many ways and there are a lot of problems that are really difficult to solve or even understand. We can't just change a line of code here or there and fix it like other games that fake everything.

18. Rocking_Star

Rocking_Star
    Expand Collapse

That is officially my favorite line! :D

#118 Rocking_Star, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  19. senn82

senn82
    Expand Collapse

Yeah no worries Gabester, I had a feeling that would be the case. Tyre physics are the Holy Grail of racing sim developers. I think the best one (personally) is still LFS (Live for Speed). They are still trying to perfect it, and it's been many many years.

pCars is getting closer...but still a ways to go yet.

I think it's also a matter of having the surface it contacts correct too.

In DRIVE, it almost seems like the contact patch of the tyre engages/disengages with the ground sometimes. (try on flat grid Terrain, you will see the skid marks sometimes become seperate dots, rather than a continuous drag mark)
    If that is to do with the way the tyre is modelled, it may be a big issue. If the tyre CAN make a continuous mark, but isn't contacting the road due to insufficient damping/spring rates, thats a whole different problem, and possibly easier to fix...

Sorry to ramble, just thinking out loud :)

Love the game guys, I see a lot of potential here!

20. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Well, a lot of the problems (like the dotted-ness) are fundamental issues with having a polygonal tire. There's no real way to simulate a tire with our physics except as a segmented cylinder of nodes and beams. We can't make it perfectly round.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice