1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Clean Driving and Racing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B. Tanner, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Instant Winrar

Instant Winrar
    Expand Collapse

I don't run the short course often so I can't say much about that part. But I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out that final turn, and that's where you can improve.
    Since the 200BX can put quite a bit of power down, you want to get into the gas as early as possible when exiting the corner and stay in it. This means taking a wide line through the corner on entry (or in the middle of the corner if you treat the small bend before the pit-entry as part of it), rolling through the center, and straightening out your corner exit to maximize your straight line speed into the first turn.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Taza

Taza
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

I think you did a great job on that map :), but what map is it? I would like to try it myself too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. daveywaveyHD

daveywaveyHD
    Expand Collapse

Please keep in mind this video is from two years ago, the tyre model along with bolide itself were unrefined and sparked many threads of its 'uncontrollability'. - Also, I have vastly improved since then.
    I am aware that drifting is not an efficient way to travel around corners, nor do I execute them well (especially nearing the end of the lap, everything goes tits up).
    Only contact i made was somewhere near the start of the second lap, but I only aimed to 'complete' one lap.
    A couple of times I fell off the track, I blame not having a limited slip differential for one of these times, and many more times I went wide around a corner.
    -G27, Full H-shifter and clutch setup. No, I don't know what happened to the frame rendering, probably incorrect frame rate, idk.

5. Djplopper

Djplopper
    Expand Collapse

when i'm not working at my mod i usually drive along Hirochi Raceway or other maps, after 700 Hours of playing crashes are not enjoyful as they were at the beginning. Here's a video of me driving a 280 HP Spark Sports race Pessima HR-Tec. The lap is not the cleanest because i tried to find the limits of the cars. It was a development lap. the car handles very good as you can see. With BeamNG.drive we are at Assetto Corsa levels now. That's the reason why i ordered a Logitech G920

• Like Like x 2
  6. Drivver

Drivver
    Expand Collapse

Exactly, if I'm crashing it's mostly for science which I do a lot in BeamNG, because of it's physics. I'm living in future of BeamNG, having own car, building it in garage then racing it etc. Also I race from time to time with my firends, but I'm not the fastest. :)

Well that's my driving

Not the best (lauch, bridge enterance and some minor things) I can cut ~1 sec, but I had like 2 weeks break and mounted my G25 today, anyway what do you guys think about my lane and braking points? Specially added G-force meter, pedals and steering wheel positioning.

@Edit
    Also when I hear that BeamNG have very unrealistic handling or that Wreck Fest have more realistic damage model it really makes me sad what modern "simulators" (forza, grid autosport, project cars, drive club etc) made with peoples. Also IMO at some part BeamNG bacame minecraft of YouTube, let's players talking bullshit without any knowledge, bouncing all over the place and blaming .Drive handling "cars are too light, it's like driving on ice" and all they see in BeamNG is crashing and crashing or even saying that cars are too fragile, while compared to real life tests they behave a bit to good, I mean they are too strong. But they still record with millions of views spraying wrong info. But it's actually good for us, because way more peoples know about BeamNG thankfully to this youtubers which = more sales = more money for DEV team = more workers = better hardware = higher R&D = better product, we just have to deal with vawes of annoying guys around forums, YouTube etc. But it's worth it. I'd like to see blogpost about current tires and handling overall, beacause this old starts to be a bit outdated.

#26 Drivver, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  7. Spaceballs the Username

Spaceballs the Username
    Expand Collapse

I have another run, this time on ECA. Did a few laps around the outside, pushing it harder and harder on each lap. Once again, using my music as filler

Next video I'll likely put a pedal meter so you can all see my exact pedal and steering inputs

• Like Like x 1
  8. BallisticDK

BallisticDK
    Expand Collapse

One of the things i really like about BeamNG, is when you drive at high speed around ECA, and make just one mistake, you get a spectacular crash, where in other racing games, it's just a brick crashing into a brick(not saying it can't look great).

I tried making a clean run round ECA, and now i have 38 clips of me crashing into trees, but i got one clip where i made it around ECA.

I know there is a lot i could have done better, but efter trying 39 times, i got burned out a bit, and thought "ehh good enough"

#28 BallisticDK, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
  9. Taza

Taza
    Expand Collapse

Some crashless drifting as I promised:

If you are interested in drifting, I would recommend the drift missiles for starters. I can drift them even with a keyboard. However the Port is pretty harsh to start on because it's filled with obstacles. Industrial site is a bit easier.
    And now back on track! :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. TripleAye

TripleAye
    Expand Collapse

@Shotgun Chuck Thanks mate! I'm actually just using the better sounds mod, though I haven't updated it in a while and believe it to be an older version. I can attribute the fact that the sounds may be out of sync to my lack of editing experience as this really my first attempt at doing something like this. Took me a half hour just to get the split screen alone xD so I probably just bumped the audio track a bit on accident. Also yeah the stock KingSnakes rear diff ratio was far to short for this track when I was first testing it. It topped out at about 120mph so I equipped the race differential (2.59 if I recall) which is adjustable by the way. More speed is indeed possible but not necessary, I prefer to near max out on the longest straight.

@Taza Your steering input is nice and smooth unlike my own ;) which probably leaves more room for you to carry more speed through the corners. Re: Your drift video was a blast to watch! Very skillfully done.

@Blijo Thanks! The track is a bit bumpy and will throw you about in some of the corners. It's called -Bathurst-

@daveywaveyHD I watched the video before I read your comment and was convinced you were using some sort of game pad lol. Some wild driving there my friend what degree of rotation are you using? You like myself have to work on smoothing your inputs. I can say that I was pretty impressed with how often you were able to catch the Bolides rear end. I can do without the music as well.

@Djplopper Just want to say I'm a huge fan of your configuration pack!

@Drivver That was some fine driving, and you have a beast of a computer. I noticed you slightly missed the apex of the corner before the bridge, you can probably break a wee bit more so that you can get on the throttle earlier and have more exit speed. Fantastic racing line! What's your setup? Also I agree, but this will only reward those that take the time to learn the ins and outs of this game and driving properly when multiplayer/leaderboards come around. Then all the 'noobs' will see what is possible.

@BallisticDK That is what makes driving on edge in BeamNg without incident so rewarding. At any moment you could be involved in an accident that is likely to kill you in real life. The Sunburst can be a trip at those speeds with it's shorter wheel base but you definitely have room for improvement.

What two cars would you guys like to see pitted against each other next?

• Like Like x 5
  11. Spec Racer Z

Spec Racer Z
    Expand Collapse

I'm definitely all for more performance driving in the community, and I'll go through the thread and try to offer constructive critiques when I have time later. I would have many more videos up and scenario times if it weren't such a colossal pain in the ass to get functional recordings or runs with my current PC setup (lag spikes are fun), but fortunately I'm planning to upgrade to a better GPU within the year and my content creation will ramp up then. Full plans for picture-in-picture onboard video, recorded commentary, bonus end clips to pull in the jumpier YouTube viewers, and anything else I can do to make a prosperous video series that highlights the racing skills and passion I've spent 10s of thousands of hours developing and the immense simulation potential of BeamNG.

Until then, I do have a playlist with my fastest scenario runs, most of which are world records in that I didn't stop time attacking the events until I couldn't find any faster times through Google or the Scenario megathread, but until leaderboards are officially supported, there's going to be a shortage of competitive record battles that push times to the very edge and people who don't post their times.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkdk-Mn0gK4FvtvhAFfAVY7KUrIy4KSb2

Also, the playlist with all of my older BeamNG videos together as well, including a veru old Small Island rally competition, Stockcar Madness, a bunch of other stuff using the Xbox 360 pad, and Pikes Peak with onboard video of the MS wheel I've since replaced.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkdk-Mn0gK4HvEC6q_HaCI7gBUOcj_qvf

PS, all of those tutorial resources in the OP are excellent and I believe I've watched/read through every single one except the German F1 setup PDF. Couple more I'd recommend for the list, the Shakedown University videos are all excellent resources for racing and using sims to improve at real performance driving, and the AMG Driving Academy series is a good introductory overview of performance driving including especially good specialized lessons on correcting mistakes, spin recovery, the functions of ESC, a basic overview of drifting, basically every way you could push a car.

#31 Spec Racer Z, Jul 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Latios Jeff

Latios Jeff
    Expand Collapse

Hmm true, I was a bit too harsh on the car back there. But I guess that reflects how clumsy I am on the analog stick when driving such a high powered vehicle. When ever I do drive the Bolide from time to time, I end up always picking the stock one for street use and just general farting around. All the cars overall are definitely a lot more drivable in these new updates compared to how they were back then when I bought this game a year ago.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TripleAye

TripleAye
    Expand Collapse

@Spec Racer Z We share the same aspirations, I too have scoured the internet absorbing all of the information I possibly can to make me better at the craft I wish to hone. So that if and when the opportunity presents itself in real life, I'll be ready to take the leap. There's nothing I love more than performance driving and I'm looking forward to your contributions to the community as a whole. I can attest to the resources you have linked, they are indeed great learning tools. Now knowing you hold the records, I'll have to put more time into besting them as I'm not to far off. I hope you welcome the competition. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  14. BallisticDK

BallisticDK
    Expand Collapse

Indeed, this is my most played "racing" game, because of things like that. You can challange yourself and get better, but one mistake and are you're out.
    I think the Sunburst, is very hard to handle at high speeds using a controller, because i feel like i can't make a small adjustment, quickly without flicking the stick, but that's more of a driver problem than anything else.
    When i started recording videos for this thread, i tried modifiing the deadzone and the sensitivity on the steering stick, but i couldn't even take the first turn with the sensitivity a bit lower, but that's probably me needing to get used to the settings.

Have nice day.

15. B. Tanner

B. Tanner
    Expand Collapse

Thanks mates for all the great videos. I couldnt watch all of them, but i'm going to right now! I've added to the AMG Driving Academy and the Shakedown University Playlists to the starting post. Thanks, those links are great!
    The ECA run is btw just crazy, so friggin fast and its just enjoyable to see your struggle to keep the sunburst on the road at this high speeds. I'm working on a run around Canyon of Speed with some of the jumps but it is really hard to get through the whole thing clean consistently.

/Okay, watched them all now, cant thank you enough all. Man, i searched so long on Youtube for such content.

#35 B. Tanner, Jul 17, 2016
  16. BallisticDK

BallisticDK
    Expand Collapse

You're welcome, it was very fun to record it, mine took some time, but it was worth it.

Who are you talking to ? more than one person made a speed run of ECA.

17. B. Tanner

B. Tanner
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, next time i'm going to mention the username to avoid confusion. But i was referring to your video since it is only one with the combination of ECA and a Sunburst.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BallisticDK

BallisticDK
    Expand Collapse

Woops, i didn't realize that. No, i'm sorry
    Thank you, it was very hard to keep the car on the road, I crashed 38 times before getting that video, and it didn't help that i get some frame drops when racing around ECA.

I hope you will record it if you get a clean run around Canyon of Speed. Last i time played Canyon of Speed, i could not get a run around the map, without crashing, imho, that map if extremely hard to get a clean lap of. Good luck.

19. Spaceballs the Username

Spaceballs the Username
    Expand Collapse

Finally got 1440p60 working. Using Shadowplay for video and OBS for audio. It's a bit of work to sync them up in Adobe Premier, but the net result is much better audio quality, as Shadowplay's audio sucks.

• Like Like x 1
  20. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Nice to see the 3900cc Bolide still cooks itself at full throttle...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice