Collada static collisions issue

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by B25Mitch, Mar 4, 2014.

1. B25Mitch

B25Mitch
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Designer
    BeamNG Team

*EDIT* Main question solved, minor question at bottom of post.

Hi everyone,

I have a lot of experience in Blender but I'm a newbie to Collada. I'm following the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJgTI-bGtQk Tutorial by Nadeox1, and it's mostly successful, but I can't get the game to recognize the custom collision mesh. Here's what I do.

1.) File set up for export, with Ramp LOD's 1 & 2, and low-detail collision mesh. My scene setup is identical to the tutorial's with the exception of an additional LOD mesh (which works as expected).

(imported from here)

2.) Collada export settings:

(imported from here)

3.) Import settings into BeamNG Drive:

(imported from here)

4.) Ramp looks fine, but the collision mesh is not working as expected. There is a collision object of some sort, but it's not the same size/shape as the collision mesh which I exported.

(imported from here)

If I could get a little help here, that would be great!

Oh, and while we're on the topic, could someone explain how the engine knows which mesh to use for collision? Is Colmesh-1 a special name recognized to be the collision mesh?

- - - Updated - - -

...Aaaaand I figured it out 10 minutes after posting this :/

Always remember to apply rotation and scale before exporting, even if you haven't rotated or scaled the object while making it.

(imported from here)

This had me stumped for hours; apologies for posting and then answering my own question. I'll keep it up in case anyone else finds it useful.

My second question still stands though: Is Colmesh-1 a special name which the engine recognizes as the collision mesh?

2. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

I'm glad you found the problem, but I've been wanting to know the answer to that too. I wasn't able to find it through Google searching. I know that if I want to make collision meshes for separate objects, naming them Colmesh-2, Colmesh-3, etc. works.

On a side note, I must be out of worthy ideas for terrains currently because for the last hour I've been shaping a huge ski jump-like mesh and launching cars off a cliff with it..

3. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

Yes it is. :) If you have more questions, you could download mods like Nadeox1 Stunt Asstes, or my Modular Mesh Roads Pack and take a look at their internal structuring.
    Or just ask again here or over PM. Have fun creating conent!

Didn't know that, thanks!
    But what do you mean with separate objects? As you cant animate collision meshes and as the LOD mesh is triggered by the overall size of all meshes included within a single .dae file(bounding box), you can also just combine all collision meshes to a single mesh within the dae.
    Even if you have seperate meshes which dont touch each other, like 2 light posts or a bus stop and its sign. As long you dont use LOD meshes, combine both meshes, recenter their origin, copy, rename to Colmesh-1 and you are good to go.
    If i miss some useful detail about having multiple collision meshes in the same collada model, please explain. :)

4. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

I separate meshes into different objects in Blender so they're easier to work on. Here is what I was referring to as objects and they're corresponding collision mesh.

Attached Files:

• objects.jpg
  5. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

Nice to know, thanks! Should come in very handy when i continue my BeaMania racetrack.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice