Computer building guide

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Mar 1, 2015.

1. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Its a possible upgrade eventually if I did go for the same card again thats another £500 and the monitor I would be going G-SYNC 4K thats about £700, so about £1200 there total its all things I have to consider :)

2. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

The trick is, the 980Ti is the best card on the market when built with big fans. As for the monitor, you have to find the highest quality for the best value. Good luck with that one, can't give you tips on that...

3. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

All top end parts :D

4. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Alright. (Not that I would think that somebody who spends $4500 on his PC would go cheap on the monitor........

5. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I have had one of my monitors for about 4 years and the other for a little over 2 years actually, and my keyboard and mouse combo cost me only £50 I went super EL-CHEAPO on them!

6. eeEtilt

eeEtilt
    Expand Collapse

OK...
    If you're going 4K, stick another 980Ti in (if you have a bottomless wallet/account.) It will help.

7. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your advise that means scrounging up about £1200 to £1500....but I think I can do it if I get a job then I will likely buy it :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Hm, if your money is semi-infinite, I suggest you look for a Logitech Gaming G110. It's a €75-keyboard that you could easily pay twice as much for.

@eeEtilt yeah, that's what I meant, too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

Alright BlueScreen, your advice is needed once again. Here is a modified version of your $600 build. I added a 120 gb ssd for boot, I was told it would make things faster. Is it a good brand? Is there better deals? I picked the full size version of the motherboard for more options. Spec wise I could not find anything too different. I also picked the elite version of the case since it supports front USB ports. The PSU is a little overkill, I can downgrade. I was told by a guy at work that it's a good idea to buy one way over so I have room to change things. I left the video card the same. Here is the TV i was planning on using as a monitor, as far as I can tell it should work good. Last but not least I have a friend at work that has a "free" version of windows 7. Says I can install it and still get the free upgrade to 10. Does that seem legitament, or is there other ways to work around that? I want windows 10 for use of my Xbox one controller.

10. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

A 'little' overkill? Heh. A good 500W unit is enough, you're wasting money there unless you're planning some massive upgrades.
    An SSD is good for faster boot times, yes, but IMO it isn't worth it in that PC, and Win10 is fast to start up anyway. If you downgrade the PSU and ditch the SSD you can upgrade the graphics card to a much better GTX 970 which should max out pretty much anything in 1080p 60fps.
    Here's a build for that price, no SSD but it'll have much better gaming performance: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/bluescreen1985/saved/C7G8TW

Windows, if your friend's copy is legit, go for it. Any Win7 install can be upgraded to 10 for free.

11. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

Makes sense. What about the MOBO, it is around the same price for the standard size version. I cannot fully tell what the pros of that would be other than it has more slots? front USB's? But when I looked at the specs it didn't really seem different. I like the idea of upgrading the graphic card. Will the CPU last? I looked up some games and it was right at the max on some and for others it was too low for recommended.

As far as the windows 7 goes it some kind of trial version that masks itself as a full version, allowing you to upgrade. Not 100%, seems to make sense to me. Just trying not to get hit with the $120 for a 3 out of 5 star rated OS

12. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Only reason to buy ATX is extra upgrade room. If you want go for it, but unless you get dual AMD cards (it doesn't support SLI) there's no difference.
    The CPU will last. It's an entry level i5, but it's great. I've seen people pair it with a 980Ti and it worked fine.

As for Windows, unless it's a 100% original install I wouldn't touch it. If there's no other way, just pay for it. You pay for games already, Windows costs twice as much as a new AAA game and you'll certainly use it a lot more. It's not that expensive long term.

13. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

The biggest advantage I can see for buying it is that I have that license for if I ever get a new drive and so on. I just feel cheated since everyone I ask says they don't pay for software. Apparently people are getting Windows 10 activated with the pirated 7, I just wonder if they are gonna get them later. I am sure Microsoft is aware, just not sure if they care or not. Who do you buy through, I think I'm going to split between Amazon and NewEgg depending on prices.

14. Scepheo

Scepheo
    Expand Collapse

I pay for software, if that makes you feel any better. Well, I or my employer. MSDN subscriptions are expensive.

15. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

Do you think there is any real risk pirating it? Or is it the fear of getting in trouble forcing me to pay for it? ha

16. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Pirating software in general is wrong. Development takes time and money, and those people have to get paid. You might argue that MS gets a lot of money already, that doesn't mean you should steal from them.
    Ethics aside, pirating Windows is a terrible idea. Any non-genuine copy could have been modified. It could be fine, or it could be sending your every move to some server in China. as well as some Microsoft server in America

17. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

Yes. I'll have to put my greed aside and purchase it. It's also good cause I won't have to worry about any of theism problems. Can't wait to finally play this game. Do you think I will be limited as far as mods or multiple vehicles goes?

18. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Not really, the 4460 should be fine for 3-5 vehicles without performance drops. A 970 will easily max out the game (except for dynamic reflections) in 1080p and get 60 fps in most maps. For some reason I have massive framerate drops on the Industrial and Port maps, I think it's because they have lots of static meshes and T3D doesn't handle those very well. Everything else is 1080p60.

19. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

alight BlueScreen I think I am going to pull the trigger on ordering the parts. Biggest thing I am trying to understand right now is the different variations of that EVGA video card. There are like 4 similar ones and I just want to make sure I am getting the best one for the money

20. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

EVGA cards come in 4 'tiers':
    Base model: Stock clocks.
    SC: Slight factory OC.
    SSC: Higher factory OC, more power connectors for higher power limit.
    FTW: Highest factory OC, same power connectors as SSC.

TBH, not much of a difference, unless you're planning to do some serious overclocking then you should get the SSC or FTW.

You don't have to go for EVGA really, I just chose that one for the build because it was cheaper than MSI/ASUS/GB. I've got an old post with some info on GTX 970s, I'll just paste it here. Wall of text incoming:

There are four 970 models you'll want to look at: EVGA's ACX 2, MSI's Twin Frozr V (or TFV for short), ASUS' Strix, and Gigabyte's G1. The reference card looks pretty, but unless you're planning to liquid cool it, it's utterly useless and will only get you a worse cooler and lower clocks.
    EVGA's ACX 2 is a great card for many reasons: You get EVGA's great build quality, and their support is great too, especially if you live in the US. The ACX 2.0 cooler is a pretty standard dual fan cooler, but it does a really good job of cooling the GPU and is also very quiet. It can stop the fans completely when temperatures and load are low, so it's completely silent when idle. The SSC and FTW models are great overclockers. The black plastic shroud also goes well with pretty much any build, if you have a windowed case.
    I own an MSI TFV 970, and it's really good. Great for overclocking, and the cooler is simply amazing. The fans are 100mm as opposed to the ACX's and Strix's 92mm, which allows them to spin slightly slower for the same airflow. Very quiet even at full speed (never really goes over 50% when gaming anyway), runs cool at <60C in a Corsair 450D, and just like the EVGA card, it can stop the fans when idle or under light load, making it completely silent. It's also the only cooler that controls its fans individually to reduce noise, making it one of, if not the quietest 970 cooler. It's also very thin, which allows for good airflow on SLI setups. Unlike the other cards however it doesn't have a backplate (it still has a metal bit to stop it from sagging, but backplates look cool), and the red/black colours might not go very well with all builds. Bonus points for LED-lit dragons.
    The ASUS Strix is rather similar to the MSI in clock speeds. It's also cooled by a dual-fan cooler with a medium sized heatsink, although it has smaller, slightly faster fans. It can also stop its fans when idle. It's slightly worse at overclocking, and lacks the individual fan control and is slightly louder, but it's still very quiet, and it has a backplate and a very nice looking metal shroud. It's also usually the cheapest of the four cards. It's all black which makes it look very nice with any build too, and is IMO the best looking of the four.
    And finally, the G1. This is a beast card with a massive triple-fan beast cooler with an equally massive heatsink. It's one of the largest graphics cards in the market at 315mm long, so you'll have to make sure it fits in your case. In most cases with modular HDD cages, they have to be removed for the card to fit. Because of the three smaller, faster fans however it's quite a bit louder, and IIRC, it cannot stop the fans, only lower their speed. If it does fit in your case though, and you don't mind the extra noise, it's very easily the best performing of the 970s. It overclocks better than anything else (even EVGA's FTW), and certainly runs cooler than anything else, even when overclocked. You can even match the performance of a stock-clocked reference 980 with some overclocking. It also gets the highest factory OC at 1329MHz. It looks great too, and has a metal shroud, and obviously a huge backplate to keep it from sagging (and it's still likely to sag quite a bit, the heatsink's just that heavy).
    So if you want maximum performance, you should go for a G1 or, if your case won't fit it or you want something quieter, EVGA ACX2 SSC/FTW. If you want the quietest card, go for the MSI TFV. And if you want a really nice looking card, that still performs great and is a bit cheaper, go for the ASUS Strix.

/wot
    Since I wrote that, the EVGA cards dropped in price, they're all mostly the same price anyway except for the G1 which is more expensive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice