Computer building guide

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

Well I chose that since you seemed to know what you're talking about and since I don't need the SSD or the 1000 PSU I thought I might as well get a better graphics card. I stuck with the latest build you sent me, except I might buy a case at fry's since I can't get 3 day shipping on cases from NewEgg. I decided to buy from NewEgg since they offer financing and it would give me a way to build some credit while building my dream machine! ha

2. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

3. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

4. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

What is the advantage of the 2.0+? I see you don't recommend the SC, is it because it doesn't have enough of an advantage to make a difference? Does the back plate even matter?

5. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

2.0+ seems to have more display connectors and a higher power limit for better overclocking. SC is not really worth it since you can overclock the standard one to match it, and a backplate has no real purpose other than looking good.

Edit: ACX 2.0+ has a redesigned, better heatsink. It also stops the fans completely at low temps which apparently the older ACX2 didn't do.

#65 BlueScreen, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  6. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

Just to clarify the link you posted is the standard 2.0+ model correct?

7. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Yes

8. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

Is there any cons to the over clocked models, like reliability? Or is it just price? Cause it looks like it's only 40 more for the high clocked. I guess I just don't want to spend 314 and find out should have got something else. Like I said first build so I'm not sure how long the standard 2.0+ will uphold with time. Also when you buy the card are you out the money when you upgrade? Or is there places to trade it in and get some money back?

9. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Just price, but you can overclock the standard model too so buying the FTW card is pointless. And for the price you can just get a Gigabyte G1 which OCs even better.
    Also, you can sell used cards on ebay or something.

10. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

You can also give them to people you know who need crappy old GPUs, but unless it's your grandparents or something, you'll barely get money for that heroic move... :p

11. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

How do you guys ever pull the trigger on what you're gonna buy lol there's so many options. Is it even beneficial to get the G1? I thought the other one was plenty good hah

12. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

I have learned some things from BlueScreen either. My trick is easier: I look at charts, what people say about certain products at Amazon etc. and think about which is the one with the best value for its power. Takes lots of time, but very effective.

13. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

This or really the last part I have to find out. As far as the I5 4460 goes, I feel like that will be good, from the research I've done, everything else on the build is narrowed. This video card stuff is making my head spin

14. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Yup, it's the most complicated part as many different companies coproduce and -sell them, in different options, and then there's crap like the Gainward GTX970 Phantom and 970 Phoenix, same charts, same performance, different cases, different prices...

15. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

I'll research some more. I mean what are the chances of getting a 300 video card and having to upgrade in 2 years?

16. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

300 dollars? Upgrading in 2 years? I think you shouldn't need to upgrade in the coming 5 years with a 970. It can run biro work on 4K, which speaks for its good performance. With a 960 or R9 280X you might actually need in 2 years, but...

17. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

Well that's why I am asking these questions cause I have no idea. I research on my own but sometimes it is hard to tell who actually knows what they're talking about. What about the i5 4460? is that something that will be good for awhile too?

18. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

It is quite okay, the performance seems to be enough when compared with a decent graphics card, and you can still upgrade to a (way, way more expensive) 4690K when you get that feeling of probably not enough boost. Really, together with a 970 you will have no problem.

19. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

So the EVGA with the i5 should be solid? Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54460 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 and EVGA GeForce GTX 970 DirectX 12 04G-P4-3973-KR 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card

20. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, I just bought the MSI card because the G1 wouldn't fit in my case at the time, and it looked good. I almost bought the Strix since it actually looked better with my board, but reviews said it was pretty crap at overclocking.

You should get either the standard EVGA ACX 2.0+ card, or the G1 if you plan to overclock a lot. Don't go for an EVGA SSC/FTW, they're not worth the money.

The 4460 is a great CPU, it should be a good 3-4 years before it actually needs replacing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice