Computer building guide

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

To be honest I am not even sure how to overclock. Probably wouldn't until I got more comfortable with all this stuff. I get the idea of it, but still will just leave it alone ha Basically aren't you over running the cards to squeeze more power out, while potentially having a hire risk of failure? Are you overclocking for Beam?

2. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Blue, take over the factual side of the talk again. Thanks.
    @Jacob Carlson the CPU is overclockable via the BIOS, the GPU... What do I know.

3. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

lol

4. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

A i5-4460 isn't designed to be overclocked.
    If you're thinking about possibly overclocking, you should go with a K-suffix part (e.g: i5-4690K) and a Z97 chipset motherboard.

5. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

I mean as far as the video card. I saw that the 4460 was locked

6. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

You can do that, of course. I'd try it on stock clock first though. Should be enough, EDIT: at first.

7. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

I don't get why I forgot about that though.....

8. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

Are you guys overclocking? lol When is it necessary?

9. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

It's not necessary. It's just a free way to make your PC faster if you have enough cooling.

10. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

As of now I ordered the NZXT Elite with only one fan pre-installed. I probably won't be overclocking, should I bee installing more fans anyways?

11. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Get yourself two to three more fans. You need one up front, one in the back and one on the side. At the most minimum; more fans are almost always better.

12. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

alright well I'll decide on the EVGA 2.0+ or the G1 tomorrow, may just stick with the EVGA since I'm over budget anyways. Wish me luck on assembly lol

13. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

CPU is overclocked through BIOS, not all motherboards and CPUs support overclocking, for example the 4460 cannot be overclocked. You need a K processor and a Z series motherboard.
    GPU is overclocked through a control utility such as MSI Afterburner. Pretty much any GPU can be overclocked and most are factory overclocked.

If you're over budget definitely go for EVGA, it's still a great card. Glad to have helped, and have fun building!

14. Jacob Carlson

Jacob Carlson
    Expand Collapse

So I got my PC together. I played Beam a little bit. I can run on high with reflections. I can run 3 vehicles with no frame rate drop. I added in a semi as a fourth and it dropped to 30. I would say it seems pretty good. Not sure how to even control more than one vehicle at a time so I don't think it matters. I am trying to find a way to monitor cpu temp and gpu temp. Is there gadgets, apps, widgets, etc (not sure the name) that you know of?

15. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

hwmonitor is a good one, as is rainmeter. the ladder takes a little more fiddling, while the former can just be installed.

16. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

MSI afterburner allows you to display frame rate, temperatures and load for both GPU and CPU, and more in real time. You can also overclock your GPU or set custom fan curves.

If all you want is to track max temps, HWmonitor is lightweight and easy to install.

17. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Regarding base clock overclocking, this guide is meant for beginners. I cannot recommend BCLK tweaking to anyone who doesn't know what they're doing extremely well.
    Same goes for the new overclocking B/H-boards - I simply cannot recommend them to anyone. They're not officially supported by Intel, were said to be unreliable by some important manufacturers (ASUS), and are what I can only describe as a horrible hack. Just add $20 to your budget and buy a proper Z-board.

Thanks for the RAM info though - with DDR3, RAM speed didn't really do much for performance. Looks like that's changed with DDR4 and its higher speeds.
    --- Post updated ---
    Updated: Rewrote RAM section. Thanks to @Darren9 for info.
    --- Post updated ---
    Updated: Added CPU coolers. Probably the longest part yet.

18. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Have you heard of the new Mini-STX Mainboards? Tell me your thoughts, BlueScreen.
    (Checked it. You can at least fit an i5-6400 on it, I'll look if I can find other ones.)

#97 Deleted member 126452, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2016
  19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

essentially a nano ITX...
    Both seem pointless to me beyond mini ITX

What would be interesting is if someone made one with an onboard discrete GPU

20. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

You can build some really nice office PCs with that, or you can make it a console replacement. Totally about efficiently using space.
    I don't understand, please give me more information in the most basic English you can talk. Like you would talk to a three year old.

21. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

No PCI-E slots, M.2 storage only, it's useless. ITX is only slightly larger and can be used for a fully featured PC.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice