Computer building guide

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Okay, cleared that up then. Only usable for Barebones at most, moving on.

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

it has no pcie slot so can't run a dedicated gpu.

discrete gpu = dedicated. I was suggesting someone makes one with say a gtx960 onboard, essentially motherboard and gpu in one. Zotac did this once

3. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I eventually figured that out. I really ask myself though, why did they run out of space with PCIe ports? Probably one of the worst parts where you can save a few millimeters.
    An onboard GPU would be a nice idea though. I have to check if that's something they considered.
    EDIT: I just read these things are essentially made to have at least a standard CPU socket so you can at least change that out, other than with those NUC-suckers which as we all know are (sort of) the Toyota Priuses of the computers. Integrated graphics... Not enough, there's still a bit of room around the socket, I think you could theoretically put a little GPU there, at least I presume that it could be possible to cool it with the CPU cooler too. With a 212 Evo, you should have enough cooling power for that, though you need a squared case then, well... Seems like it's totally pointless anyway then...

#103 Deleted member 126452, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2016
  4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

the board isn't physically big enough is why

5. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Yup, When I'm thinking of even some ATX-boards having trouble with super long graphics cards, it dawns to me... After all, I'd still rather buy this than a NUC, but well, seems it's one of those cases where a good thought turns out terribly.

6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

it's not the length of the card, it's the length of the slot.

7. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Updated: Added Part 10: GPU Price/Performance comparison. Minor changes to GPU section.
    --- Post updated ---
    Updated: Fixed the first chart in part 10. It had a 1px white border. It was annoying.
    --- Post updated ---
    Updated: Added Circlejerk-compliant $750 and $1000 part lists with R9 390 GPU.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

I realize this is a very odd question, but here it goes.
    I recently got the FX 9590 for a good price, and I have everything except a gpu. My only other gpu is a Geforce 8500 gt with 512 mb of memory. For the time being, would the graphics card be sufficient to run beamng on minimum graphics at 1600X900? I am saving up for a more expensive gpu that will last me a while, so don't tell me to go out and buy a R7 240 or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

I don't know man. You might be buggered.

10. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Nope. I guess it's better than integrated graphics (if 990FX even has integrated graphics), but don't expect to run any modern games with it.

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Beamng requires DirectX 10/11. That card supports neither. So no, you can't run it, plus its too weak anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

How much money can you throw at your new GPU?

13. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Updated: Added Part 6: Fans
    Thanks to @SixSixSevenSeven for original text, @Arne Hurnik for idea
    --- Post updated ---
    Updated: Fixed part numbers

• Like Like x 2
  14. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

Yes the game will still run, just without all the DX11 eye-candy. I have tried it, just on a older system, and it ran just fine.

I am looking in the 250-350 USD Range, looking at R9 380X, R9 390, and R9 390X, whichever one goes on a good sale first.

And the reason I want to ask, is my computer with the 8500GT in it is behind my desk, and it would take a whole afternoon to remove it and get the graphics card out, and put my new PC back there. Thanks for all the help so far, though.

15. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

i am a fan boy but i would recommend the 390. youll find it for 300 to 320 ish and its plenty fast.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Get a 390, it's a lot better than the 380X. The 390X is not worth it. Price/performance is much worse:
    GPUchart2.PNG
    Or a GTX 970, if you don't want a PC with the heat output of a nuclear reactor - you already have a 220W CPU, adding a 280W GPU would only make things worse. It has half the VRAM, but also has half the TDP and actually performs slightly better in most games. If your resolution is higher than 1080p go for the 390 though, the extra VRAM will help.

• Like Like x 2
  17. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

BLARGH GET A GTX 970!

Oh... sorry... Team Red is good too...

• Like Like x 2
  18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

no. As of the DX11 update, it will crash on DX9 only GPUs

19. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

IMAG1177.jpg IMAG1176.jpg (This is my old desktop, with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ @2.8 Ghz. Thats a mouthful.)
    You where saying...

20. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

i can confirm this. i have a laptop with a quadro 880 and it starts dx11 beamng fine.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice