Correct (or good enough) poly-ing?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by spedy7, Sep 3, 2016.

1. spedy7

spedy7
    Expand Collapse

I've started back up with modeling again (still a newb), hit a deadspot with my last "model" and now I want to try again with something easier. My knowledge of Blender went out the window so I'm starting fresh-ish. Trying to get a wheel well setup and I feel like everything is just cluster fridged. What do y'all think? Bonus points to who can guess the car and year.

Attached Files:

• polycracker.png
  2. ItaliAsian

ItaliAsian
    Expand Collapse

You want to have your polys flow and have even spacing. You currently have way too many polys for that area and should clean it up and make it more like this.

You don't need a lot of polygons to make something look smooth and natural. It is easier to make something look smooth with less polygons, so less is more when it comes to poly flow.

• Like Like x 2
  3. spedy7

spedy7
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I see what you mean. The last model I was trying to make had a truck ton of polys and I guess that kinda carried on. I'll probably start over, but should I model some of the details first - ie: wheel arches, vents, etc. - to get everything flowing well? Or just find a starting point somewhere (my case being the door jam)?

Edit: How does this look now?

Attached Files:

• polycracker.png
    #3 spedy7, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  4. Bernd

Bernd
    Expand Collapse

I would recommend looking at the meshes of the official vehicles.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ItaliAsian

ItaliAsian
    Expand Collapse

It is looking better now. I like to start on the wheel arches first so I can make the spacing of the polys even and it helps poly flow when you add on to them. I agree with @Bernd for you to look at the official vehicle meshes to look at their poly flow.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice