CPU cooler, Air or water?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Ulrich, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Hey,

I'd like to buy a new CPU cooler for my I5 4460. I'm still using the stock Intel cooler and it sometimes can get pretty hot (And it's pretty freaking ugly).

My two options :

-The Be quiet! Pure rock, My brother own the same with a similar CPU, it works well, it's pretty quiet

And the other option, the Cooler Master Seidon 120V (V2) which I don't know much about.

So... What do you think?

2. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

Watercooling, because i'm me and i like water

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. coolusername

coolusername
    Expand Collapse

The be quiet stuff is good imo, and i would go with air.
    I would never go with water cooling, takes more space, looks ugly, water and electrics don't like each other, not needed for a decent gaming pc

4. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

My case have build for CPU water cooler, so no issues here ^^.

Yeah I trust Be quiet. I should be looking for benchmark tests I guess

If you drink water, you're probably gonna die :eek:

5. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

I'd go air, because your CPU can't overclock and therefore doesn't need any more cooling than air can provide.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. KJP12

KJP12
    Expand Collapse

"Warning: If you drink water, you will die in the next 200 years." :p sorry, had to.

OT:
    If you can't over clock or afraid of water leaks, I wouldn't go overkill and just go with air cooling.
    If you like going overkill or can overclock & going to, go water cool.

7. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I'll stay with air cooling. After seeing some benchmark tests and reviews it's pretty clear that the pure rock is totally superior.

8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I have this big monster air cooler so I don't have to deal with an aquarium sound all day.
    Besides, if I used water, living in the USA, my computer would become sick and die from all the poisons in the water from fracking.
    Our water burned/exploded/made me able to poo over the house in PA so I moved away.

9. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

Haha! But with water cooling systems the water flows through a tube and not directly on the components right?

10. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Well it doesn't flow ON the components unless there's a leak, but everything breaks eventually.
    For one, my motherboard (Asus Maximus VII Hero) has a water-proof coating on it, and the system has various short-circut protections, etc, but I still wouldn't bother with it. De-lidded my 4790k so it can hold it's turbo, and really don't have much need for the aquarium sound in here 24/7.
    Money is better spent towards a complete new system in due time when the need arises.

11. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

If I one day chose the water cooling way, I won't bother to build a custom loop. As far as I know water CPU cooler can be pretty reliable if we'll maintain. And I'm pretty sure you don't use classic water in them ^^.

But whatever, I'm probably going to change all my system for Ryzen 7 based one. So until then I'll stick with the Intel cooler.

12. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

You can get non-conductive liquid. It's not as cheap as using distilled water BUT it's cheaper usually than even the cheapest parts of your build. Water cooling is pretty reliable if you don't mix copper with nickel / aluminum etc, keep like-metals only, and you'll be good, otherwise you get some electralysis or something weird, I forget what it's called, but the metals basically corrode and ruin the whole system.
    In a similar minded topic (being this is a driving game), this is often why cars with copper radiators have issues!

13. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Yeah... I remember my brother had issues a long time ago, the thing broke and R.I.P water everywhere (I still have his fan lol) . But his PC was fine happily. Maybe you can use car cooling?

I probably won't bother for now until I want to overclock.

14. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

If it's not broke, don't fix it. Trust me on this one!!! I am sure you didn't just fall off the turnip truck either.
    Well, if his PC had short-circut protection in the power supply or an ASUS motherboard with it, then it would shut off there.
    PC parts can be WASHED in water to no ill effect if the water and electricity (including motherboard battery) are not in the same place at the same time. I've WASHED a PC already, not my main one, but it sure works to get things clean.
    Really, I mean, if your PC suits you, don't touch it until you have to... I've learned this!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice