Outdated CRD Monster Truck

Discussion in 'Land' started by SealedGecko, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dealercrash

Dealercrash
    Expand Collapse

...Is it hydros? Or Some kind of node?

2. Iro

Iro
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

theres a thread here that nadeox mentions importing mesh into dae http://www.beamng.com/threads/mesh-to-dae.29022/
    it doesnt really matter
    (orange wheels)

(grey wheels)

3. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

All the nodes in the axles are connected to some other nodes of the chassis around the center of gravity of the vehicle.

Some of them are so tense that they tend to behave like rubberbands during motion. That - combined to the rotation of the wheels - determines the uncontrolled shaking.

Yep, I read both that one and an old one about some conversion tools to be used in combination with Blender, but so far I failed to get anything meaningful, so I decided to postpone it until some major issues are worked out.
    Well, technically speaking, it does. MD always wore orange rims when it was sitting on the CRD chassis. That specific vehicle is Kreg Christensen's, while the one in the second picture is (I believe, judging by the front engine) the one on the Wilman chassis driven by Tom Meents, so it's a different truck despite the similarities.

Anyway, it was merely a suggestion, none of the paint schemes up here are picture-perfect anyway.:)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Iro

Iro
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

never knew, you must know alot (or i know very little)

5. HumanTarget

HumanTarget
    Expand Collapse

6. Iro

Iro
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

screenshot_00422.png

7. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

EDIT: deleted

8. xanderman11603

xanderman11603
    Expand Collapse

how do i download this in the latest version of beamng? or is there a way?

9. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

just go through the pages. @FLyInG 2 YoUr SoUL is the one making updates to it now

10. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

I... err... fixed your wheels... They were sticky...

So, well, my tentative fix for the persistent wobbling issues... doesn't quite work properly... :rolleyes:

Wheels don't shake anymore, but the truck can't slide...

Well, it can do backflips without ramps... That's... quite something, I guess... ;)

Attached Files:

• backflip.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Since the Big Stuff™ is taking longer than anticipated, a small update with bugfixes and a couple new features is in order.

What's new:

• Fixed all the existing breakGroups:

- Wheels won't pop off all that easily anymore.
    - All the wheelhubs can now break correctly (wheel_RL used to be unbreakable due to a wrong breakGroup assignment).
    - axlesBeams will now break correctly (and stop giving power to the wheels) if any of the corresponding wheels pop off.
    - Rear suspension will no longer disappear on wheelhubs damage.
    - The driveshaft is no longer indestructible (used to be unbreakable due to a wrong breakGroup assignment).​

• Revised various pressureWheels attributes. Tire can now deflate correctly, random explosions/spiking/physics crashes fixed.
    • Introduced some basic engineGroups. For now, only engine flooding and fire are available, thermals aren't ready yet. Fire is currently disabled due to the non-existent circumstances for the engine/fuel cell to self-ignite as of now.
    • Further cleaned all JBeams from clutter/unneeded groups/missing references.
    • The naked/default config now uses a slightly different texture scheme, with brass-colored accents:

• Shell skins are now directly selectable (as pre-made configurations) from the vehicle selector screen, each with its correct default image.
    • Added two new skins, for a total of 11 combinations:

Metal Mulisha (Alternate, Red), with unpainted rims, clear/red rear light decals and different body graphics.

MadUSA (World Finals), a hot pink paint scheme that won't go easily unnoticed...

• Added alternative "Ukraine" tires and matching rims from the beta version of this mod, selectable from the vehicle customization screen.

Well, that's all I could make ready for release, for now.

As usual, clear your cache if updating from a previous version of this mod.

:)

• Like Like x 2
  12. HumanTarget

HumanTarget
    Expand Collapse

Unexpected updates are the best updates! :D I can definitely see that the wheels shake a lot less. One thing I've been wondering about is the breaking. In real monster trucks, they tend to stop pretty fast. They also lean forward http://i.imgur.com/algIOtz.png (Sorry for bad quality, best I could find) I'm not sure if it's at all possible to make this truck stop faster, but I think it would be a nice touch. I also know most of the time the trucks aren't going fast enough to lean forward like that unless they are racing.

13. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Sure, that's just an attribute to change. :)

I've set the "brakeTorque" attribute for both axles to 60.000Nm for you (was 5.000, so that's 12 times more brake torque!). The truck pitches like crazy but stops almost immediately. ;)

Check the uploaded files! ;)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. HumanTarget

HumanTarget
    Expand Collapse

XD I like it! Thanks for the quick response!

(Not related) I love what you've done with the truck! For some reason mine seems to pull a bit to the side? http://i.imgur.com/Pw7HCjR.png Can't figure out why. :p

#134 HumanTarget, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  15. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

:rolleyes:
    I noticed that too. Together with wheel wobbling, this is one of the issues I'm having a very hard time to fix properly. An entire rewriting of the JBeams is under consideration.

Since the truck doesn't always pull to the same side, and since official vehicles seem to exhibit the same behaviour, I believe it's something related to the groundmodel and the interaction of tires with the ground rather than the vehicle itself. The considerable weight of the truck plus the sheer size of the wheels just make it more obvious.

Veering gets really problematic at speeds over 100km/h (normally not possible, unless you choose the optional "High" differential). Once you exceed the regular top speed, some drag force I couldn't clearly identify pulls the vehicle to one side (usually the right one), then the body leans down a bit, up to the point that suspensions gets permanently deformed. Stiffening helps, but also spoils the handling characteristics I would expect from a vehicle like this, so I'm kinda torn.

Anyway, this is the reason why the World Finals differential is currently disabled: the truck could reach 130km/h top speed with it... at the expenses of a couple of springs. :rolleyes:

16. HumanTarget

HumanTarget
    Expand Collapse

You seem to know what you're doing, so I'll just trust your opinion! You've only made the truck better! Keep it up! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  17. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

IMHO you should rewrite the Jbeams. could take a while and could you have the parking brake and better brakes be in the next build?
    --- Post updated ---
    i have an idea for the body. AR162B's recently updated H-series may or may not have given me that idea
    20160811230835_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

I will take a while indeed.

The original files were probably automatically converted from RoR: node/beamn naming is a bit all over the place and the resulting structure is needlessly complex, IMO.

Still, starting from scratch is a bit of a titanic endeavor right now... :(

Well, the modified brakes were done in like 20 seconds, pretty much zero testing involved.

I'll update the archive with better brakes when I'm sure the currents settings can't alter the space-time continuum or cause unwanted explosions... ;)

As for the parking brake... I don't know, since real monster truck don't have one. Maybe I could have both versions up and let you decide...

The proportions don't match. Front overhang is a tad too short and the cab is too tall.

The D-Series body fits perfectly, I want to try to get rid of the floor and firewall in Blender, and maybe have a modified bed with a cut-out for the engine. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

i ask that you add them because i can't get the parking brake rear axle version to work since i have nothing that can zip a file

20. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

MS Windows comes with a (basic) built-in archive manager.

Right clic on a folder → "Send to" → "Compressed folder" :)

Anyway, I've packed all the requested edits (stronger brakes, parking brake) for you, see attachment. ;)

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice