Creating road markings on mesh road

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Johnsdoms, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Johnsdoms

Johnsdoms
    Expand Collapse

Hi there,
    I am currently creating a very simple map in the BeamNG Map editor. Because my road needs to be perfectly flat I thought using the mesh road editor would be easiest.
    Now to my question: I have a road with an asphalt texture applied. But how can I add road markings to it? I looked in some of the original maps and it seems like you have to use another mesh road with only the marking texture applied? But how do you adjust the setting so that the texture looks correct?
    I'm using the textures found on the original "driver test " map.
    Thanks for your help. :)

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Try with decals, they can project on pretty much everything.

3. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Mesh roads have edges that kill cars when you hit them especially under hard driving.

Use decal roads.

Look up the SOMETHING ABOUT ROADS thread for how to carve your terrain using said mesh road. I put a lot of input into that thread (as did others) and it shouldn't be wasted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

5. CarsRFun

CarsRFun
    Expand Collapse

How do you get the decals in the first place? I look in the library with decals but there isnt anything in there.

6. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Look to the official maps for guidance. They're usually in the form of four decals per texture, and you just use a section of one for each decal. All official maps use plenty of decals for road-skid-marks and patches, or holes, and other things of similar nature.
    Decals, decal roads, mesh roads, terrain, player, camera, spawn points, and any additional player-spawned vehicles during game-play (and anything visible under the editor f1 'object editor' mode) must conform to the maximum 4096 object limit. Forest brush objects like trees and houses (and anything else with built in collision meshes in the object itself) should be known to NOT fall under this 4096 object limit, but is only limited by host system memory and GPU / CPU performance. Going over the 4096 object limit will result in things not appearing in-game.

Please use official maps for examples, and the wiki information (if it's current!), for use on these decals. I don't use decals much. If you mean about 'decal roads' above, decal roads are separate from 'decals' themselves.
    Please read the wiki and look under these forums in CONTENT CREATION sticky posts.
    --Cheers!

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice