Crossplane Iron Duke

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by vmlinuz, Mar 9, 2019.

1. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

I was wondering: How hard would it be to build a custom crossplane Iron Duke? I was thinking you would just get a custom crank (0-90-270-180) and camshaft, then just build it as you normally would, except using the appropriate plugs on a V8 distributor (firing order 1-_-_-3-_-2-4-_). Something like this Yamaha engine, except in a Fiero:

It would sound like a broken V8, I would imagine, and run like one too. I also imagine that the uneven firing pattern would result in more violent power delivery at low speeds, although if this video is telling the truth, it may also run more smoothly somehow. Is such a thing feasible?

#1 vmlinuz, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  2. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

in all honesty it would be far more cost effective to do an engine swap, the Fiero has a large engine bay for it's size. I think pretty much any average size I4 fits, most V6 engines fit (popular ones are buick turbo or a supercharged 3800), and most small block V8 engines fit(a mild 383 makes a VERY fast car, and can lift the front tires if you stomp it)
    here's some vids
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=engine+swap+fiero

• Like Like x 1
  3. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Why do it?

4. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

Why not?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ladafan01

ladafan01
    Expand Collapse

Coz it will cost too much, take too much time and when done won't make any more power than a V6 + it will run like shit?
    Also, how are you gonna make the intake and exhaust? If you are gonna use stock heads one of the exhaust pipes is gonna have to go through the middle, right next to the other's intake.

6. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

What do you mean? The only things that change are the crankshaft, the timing, and the firing order, none of which has anything to do with the headers.

As for the performance, that's not a concern. The point is to see if shitty I4-powered "sports" cars of the 80's could have been made any more fun by simply using a crossplane design for the engine - it may not go any faster, but it will have different power delivery, making it feel more violent at low speeds as a result of the lopsided timing.

#6 vmlinuz, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  7. ladafan01

ladafan01
    Expand Collapse

notpossible.png
    How are you gonna route the headers?
    You'd have to use 2 airboxes and maf sensors, also the exhaust would run near the intake.Not to mention the lack of space for an exhaust pipe on the back of the engine.
    --- Post updated ---
    Ah, I thought you wanted a V8 out of 2 Iron Dukes.
    That's why you don't comment while drunk :D
    sry.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice