Experimental Day Length Calculator

Discussion in 'Utilities and programming' started by B3_Burner, Dec 6, 2019.

1. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

The time of day "In motion" value, day scale, and night scale sliders are not all that straight forward, and this is my attempt to try to make more sense of them.

Inside F11/World Editor/TOD... sits controls for "Value", "Day Scale", & "Night Scale"; as well as a check box to put the day in motion. This can also be accessed in the game via Esc/cloud symbol/... and the checkbox for day in motion and the speed slider as well as day and night scale sliders can be had as well.

However, there is no real quantitative way (especially in the game, but even inside the world editor it's somewhat vague) to determine how fast time is being sped up and/or slowed down... compared to "real time".

In many maps the default settings are:
    Value = 120
    Day Scale = 1
    Night Scale = 1.

Turn it on and the sun just races across the sky, and the shadows race across the ground. It's nighttime before you know it, barely time to reach for the N key to turn on your headlights, before you can't see a thing, and are bound to run into something.

So how do you know exactly how much "game time" goes by in a real second or real minute? Well... I was curious about the same thing... so I decided to make an Excel Spreadsheet calculator to do just that. If it helps me, hopefully it can help others.
    Plug the numbers into the computer, and it will show "real time" vs. "game time" conversions. The calculator is on tab 1, a general rough sketch table is on tab 2, if you want to look at something static and don't want to mess with plugging in specific numbers.

To cut to the chase, the value number is the number of seconds of real time that will cause the game to elapse 24 hours of game time. So a default value of 120 is making 24 hours of BeamNG time race by in just 120 seconds (or 2 minutes). Yes... very fast! Fast to the point of being almost ridiculously useless.

If you're curious what's a 1:1 ratio where game time matches real time... it's a value of 86,400.

Derived from 60 seconds x 60 minutes x 24 hours = 86,400 seconds in a day.

Again, hope this helps with the time/motion issue.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Lucas Popoatzki Neto

Lucas Popoatzki Neto
    Expand Collapse

This is awesome, I really wanted the time was 1:1... But I never figure out how to do this calculation...
    Thanks mate!

3. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

Oh good, glad you like it. I put this sort of stuff up here wondering if anyone ever takes notice.

Purely by the math 86,400 secs should be 1:1, yet I’ve timed it and it’s a little off on the slow side. Not too noticeable in 5 to 10 minute sessions, but over the course of two hours it would probably be rather noticeable.
    I believe the true 1:1 Holy Grail lies somewhere in the 82,000 to 86,000 range, but exactly where, I’ve never confirmed timing.

BTW... Somewhere on the forums last year, I put a TOD to clock time converter, if you want to check that out.

Take care,

— John

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice