WIP Beta released Derailment-resistant rail tracks (fix for some maps) PBR

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by fmol00, Jun 20, 2022.

1. TheWater1234

TheWater1234
    Expand Collapse

Ok, and if everything went well with the tracks, would I have to rebuild the collision with CTRL + F7 and then save the map with CTRL + S, or just press CTRL + S and then quit the game?

Also regarding collisions: after naming all collision lanes with the name "Collision Mesh", these lanes had no collisions. They were visible, but I could drive my car through them. Only after changing "Colission Mesh" to "Visible Mesh Final" the tracks regained the collision.

2. fmol00

fmol00
    Expand Collapse

> after naming all collision lanes with the name "Collision Mesh", these lanes had no collisions.
    Yes, it is normal. Collision will appear after restart.
    >just press CTRL + S and then quit the game
    Yes.

>Only after changing "Colission Mesh" to "Visible Mesh Final" the tracks regained the collision.
    These thacks have separate meshes for collisions. So you have to set the "Collision Mesh" there.

3. TheWater1234

TheWater1234
    Expand Collapse

First, I set "Visible Mesh Final" in the "Collisiontype" field. Not in the "Decaltype" field (By the way, for what purpose is Decaltype?)

Second, the tracks have a collision, so why should I change their collision back to "Colishion Mesh"?

Attached Files:

• 20220719200908_1.jpg
  4. fmol00

fmol00
    Expand Collapse

1) In Tennessee map (in old verison of Polish roads too) pieces of railroad have a displacement on joints so the trains often derail. I figured out how to fix it: I changed the ends of the rails to compensate for this. Look at the pictures: You can see what happens when there is a shift of 10 cm. If we use simple visible mesh (pic.2) then the train will most likely derail at the joint. But if we use separate collision mesh (pic.3) train will stay on the track. On pic.4 you can see an idea of implementation: the trajectory of the train bogie center consists of two pieces of circles that touch each other. BeamNG_Rails.txt contains formulas for calculation in GNU Octave.
    Screenshot_5.png Screenshot_10.png Screenshot_11.png Screenshot_12.png
    2) BeamNG documents require colliders to be at least 30cm thick. The thickness of the rails is only 10cm. So we need to make rail colliders more thick if we want to avoid trains and cars getting stuck in rails.
    3) Visible mesh has a large number of polygons. This significantly reduces performance. So we need collision mesh with reduced number of poligons.

> for what purpose is Decaltype?
    According to docs: this property determine the elements of geometry of a shape that decals will wrap around. Simply put, it's for tire marks.

Attached Files:

#24 fmol00, Jul 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TheWater1234

TheWater1234
    Expand Collapse

What should I do with this file? Where should I put him?
    thank you for the information

6. fmol00

fmol00
    Expand Collapse

>What should I do with this file? Where should I put him?
    Nowhere. It was used to calculate the railends.

7. TheWater1234

TheWater1234
    Expand Collapse

Hey @fmol00, I moved your downloaded files in the levels / SouthernHighway / art / tracks folder (I selected all of them except the readme.txt file) and moved to the above mentioned folder and replaced the previously existing files. I had Roane County running in the background. Immediately after transferring the files, I wanted to quit the game. At this point, the game asked me to save the changes. I clicked "yes". I'm out of the game. After a while I was back on the Roane County map. Unfortunately, the tracks have not changed. Ok, I deleted the "SouthernHghway" directory in the following locations: \ BeamNG.drive \ 0.25 \ temp \ levels \ and \ BeamNG.drive \ 0.25 \ levels \ with Roane County running in the background. After deleting these directories, I quit the game. After a while I went back to the Roane County map and ... DAMN LIGHT! The tracks have not changed yet. Please tell me what am I doing wrong !?

8. fmol00

fmol00
    Expand Collapse

Very very strange. Maybe, I will elaborate a python script for installation.

9. TheWater1234

TheWater1234
    Expand Collapse

Will it be easier?
    Well, because just before moving the files, I deleted the file called "readme.txt".

10. fmol00

fmol00
    Expand Collapse

>I deleted the file called "readme.txt".
    It doesn't affect anything

>Will it be easier?
    I hope so

11. TheWater1234

TheWater1234
    Expand Collapse

What does this file actually do? Why did you put it between the corrected track files? All I know is it's a text document.

12. fmol00

fmol00
    Expand Collapse

Just insturction nothing interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheWater1234

TheWater1234
    Expand Collapse

Hey @ fmol00 and how with this script? Is it going right or wrong?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice