1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Development rant

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlueScreen, Dec 18, 2014.

1. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I originally posted this here as a response to Mythbuster leaving BeamNG.

All I want of this is a response from the developers, I want to know where the game really is going. I don't care about anyone's opinion on the subject other than the game's developers and I will not get into arguments concerning it.

Start of rant/request

Developers, you made an experimental build, update it. I don't give a fuck if it bugs and lags and crashes every five minutes, give us something new. Right now there's not much to do in the game other than check out the new update every few months.
    Once your game has something to do in it, you can pull off a long-wait-big-update system just fine, but with the game as it is, you need to keep people interested, or else... Well, this happens. That way to keep people interested is constant updates with new content.
    While I absolutely understand your intentions to finish building a fully working, realistic and powerful physics engine first, it's not the way to keep people interested. You didn't sell a physics engine, you sold us a game.
    I'm very interested in the code behind the physics engine itself, sure, but you aren't showing us anything about it either, so I can't enjoy that. And I can't enjoy the game, because there's nothing to do and you guys don't update it.

Right now, I can't recommend this game to anyone. All I can say is "it's this really cool physics engine where you can drive around with realistic crashes, but there's nothing else to do because it will be added in later updates".
    You already have the best damn physics engine I've ever seen in my entire bloody life, now go make a proper game for it before everyone gets bored. Just add the basics, give us some quick updates that add a few new stuff. Once we can have proper races, police chases or delivery missions, add in a simple (even broken, that means extra fun) traffic AI, and you instantly have one of the best driving games money can buy. The physics engine is already good enough, you can improve it as you improve the game.

Once again, remember, we're all asking for a game because you sold us a game. Fuck my money, I don't care about that. I just want to see this great physics engine become the best. Fucking. Game. Ever. And it has the potential. You have the chance. Go take it now.

End of rant/request

Please, respond so at least I (we, as a forum community) can know where this is going, whether it's worth to stay or not. As I said, I don't care about my £10. I want this engine to become a game, the damn great game it can and should become as the damn great engine it is.

2. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Ahhhhh......the memories.

3. 14ramosr

14ramosr
    Expand Collapse

Did Drowsey delete his own comment for whatever reason?

4. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

NDA
    sem is fegit
    9/11 was an inside job
    lee harvey oswald wasn't the only shooter
    the bermuda triangel is accualy a government experiment to trap ufos
    etc
    etc
    etc

5. 14ramosr

14ramosr
    Expand Collapse

You forgot:
    we didnt land on the moon
    a spacecraft was only sent to that comet to contact alien life forms
    area51!!!!!!!!!! roswell!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bush was a great president!

6. stephen f

stephen f
    Expand Collapse

^ This forum in a nutshell.

7. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

I think you underestimate how broken the builds probably are prior to release. Don't think I wouldn't love updates with the frequency of Space Engineer's, but I think this is kind of the pace things are going at. And the experimental build is still the bleeding edge, it's just the bleeding edge of a very slow dev cycle (remember the September 2013 - June 2014 update blackout? Monthly updates seem pretty tolerable in relation). And this is fine by me, seeing as they're breaking new ground. Also, you have the whiny people who complain when an openly broken product breaks. So there's some other incentive.

I most agree with this statement in that objective-oriented gameplay should be the soul focus for now. The biggest issue I take with the devs is not the pace of the work, but the odd prioritization of a replay feature over the leaderboard system, a belief I deem flawed. Gameplay will attract attention to the game, and truly give us something to do to pass the time. Machinima aids, while useful, can wait.

I also think that the devs should consider being a bit more forthright about the game. State, openly, that the actual, non-physics gameplay mechanics could still be months away even in their crudest form. Give us a proper roadmap, and gather some more calculated due dates as to roughly when major anticipated features are likely to roll out.

#7 Occam's Razer, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  8. 14ramosr

14ramosr
    Expand Collapse

I agree with what both of you guys said for the most part. The prioritization of development is rather messed up. What's been bugging me a lot lately is the broken parts selector. If i was a developer, that would have been moved to the top of the list as soon as it got broken. Seeing as there is no real gameplay at the moment, all people get to do is mess with their cars. Parts selection is a *huge* part of this (in my opinion) Its obviously not going to be a game for a loooong time, everybody knows that. If gameplay wont be implemented for a while, then at the very least, have the game function in its current form. I understand that getting a game out fast is nearly impossible, getting a made-from-scratch physics engine into a game in a relatively timely manor is also basically impossible. But it is possible to make that process more bearable with the community by clear and concise communication instead of all of this silence, broken apart my mysterious and potentially unreliable clues of something in the future. I love beamng, i really do. but its getting harder to stick around here and wait for it to become something truly great.

~edit~
    And lol at the fact that Sam and TheShark come back onto this thread to read what people say after every single post.

#8 14ramosr, Dec 18, 2014
  9. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Lurkin' eh?

10. 14ramosr

14ramosr
    Expand Collapse

It certainly does seem like it

11. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Seeing as one of them is literally named 'TheShark,' the Jaws theme seems eerily fitting.

12. 14ramosr

14ramosr
    Expand Collapse

#12 14ramosr, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  13. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

But fixing, optimization and Stability > New features.

How can you enjoy playing if your game crashes every X thing you do.
    And, you should probably know it has the Devs tend to work a lot in background. Who knows what else they are working on that haven't told us..

At some point new official content will come ;)

But, I don't get why you people complain about BeamNG development. I've bought games that have a much much worse development process.

Carmageddon Reincarnation: Game quite full of content, but incredibly not optimised. I can't play it without waiting at least 15 minutes to load a level and with a frame rate under 20 on Low settings. Haven't heard any development news since I bought (3 months ago)

Dirt 3: Still waiting for the removal of GFWL, still. It has been almost one year since they announced that.

Spintires: Most of us know. 6 months. 1 hotfix, no new content yet, beta branch with no new features, and just fixes of things they break with each addition.
    Their organisation is the worst I've seen in a while.

ETS2 Devs are the only I'm really happy with. Still working quite hard on the game, delivering DLC that are totally worth the price and etc.

I believe BeamNG.Drive development will take off once they have finalised the main work on the game core.

ALSO, we are pretty lucky that BeamNG is so flexible. You could build most of the things you think of with the tool available. If there were just most people approaching BeamNG more instead of complaining..

ALSO2, The current Dev priority as said above is to get the main game mechanics done. Why? Because Steam. Once we will have ingame activities to do, I believe, Steam selling will start, bringing more people to the community.

ALSO3, keep an eye on the Devs posts on the forum, they often hint on what they are working on ;)

ALSO4, according to the post under, you want to be assured that BeamNG.Drive will not come to a halt. That is far from happening. AFAIK the team is growing and there are a good number of heads working on it. Hold my hand and don't fear :)

#13 Nadeox1, Dec 18, 2014
  14. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Regardless of all the well stated and mature responses to this subject ( a WIP itself ), the amount of guest traffic to this thread should be an indicator of the interest
    in the issue. The OP's frustration is felt by many and you just can't deny that. For every thread created about this there are probably 10 others feeling the same
    way but they can't or won't post anything about it for fear of feeling the "wrath". I don't care what anyone says, The BeamNG experience needs to be better
    managed, plain and simple.

15. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

I feel pretty sizeable monthly updates like the last two are just fine. As long as we don't just have yet another like 8 months old silence I'll be happy honestly.

I do feel we need to add in some more basic features at the same time though, things like working ties and commands. These two features alone added a lot of fun and interesting content to RoR, imagine what we could do on this much improved and optimised engine :)

16. Atomix

Atomix
    Expand Collapse

Try making a car.

Really the thing that keeps me here is making tons of crappy converts nobody ever sees and crash them into stuff, its really enjoyable, just the freedom that i can get any car in here, however bad it is.

17. daniel_j

daniel_j
    Expand Collapse

played.png
    >13 September
    Lurking for future content and irc

#17 daniel_j, Dec 18, 2014
  18. estama

estama
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

All games are created from a mix of components. I agree that right now we don't have any gameplay/goal in the game, this is why we call it an "Early Access". This is also by design, we are focusing on the core parts first so they are ready to support the game that is getting build on top of them.

We could rush and build a gameplay on top of unfinished/half finished components. This would increase our support load immensely. Instead of that we prefer to put most of our resources in development, even if it means a delay for the game.

Right now most of the core components are near completion. For example the force feedback which took a lot of effort and research (in control theory), is mostly ready. Even so, a GUI that is able to support all the variety of wheel functionality, needs to be finished.

There are other things that are in development/research phase right now. For example the research for the new tires produced some very interesting side results. I wasn't able to make something presentable out of it, due to being very ill for the last 2 weeks. Hopefully we'll have something interesting to show/release in the beginning of January.

Apart from the 2 examples that i've described above that required novel research, we are also optimizing and fixing bugs left and right. IMHO this work is even more valuable than the novel/exciting examples that i've referenced above.

In conclusion, as with buildings, having a solid foundation is of paramount importance. This is what we are focusing on right now.

#18 estama, Dec 18, 2014
  19. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

Estama, I really think you should do more blog posts. You peak my curiosity every time you post about all this background development stuff. I don't even know what some of the stuff is, but I find your posts very interesting to my technical side.

20. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I get them :/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice