1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Development Screens (Each post contains a picture OR contributing post)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LT. Smell My, Aug 5, 2013.

1. The Shotty

The Shotty
    Expand Collapse

2. D-Troxx

D-Troxx
    Expand Collapse

Nearing completion finally. Now some configs >.>

screenshot_00231.png screenshot_00236.png screenshot_00233.png screenshot_00234.png screenshot_00232.png

3. The Shotty

The Shotty
    Expand Collapse

upload_2018-1-27_20-13-41.png
    this almost works
    also a template if anyone wants to make skins

Attached Files:

• 240sx.png
  4. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

automobile
    screenshot_00803.png

5. Alewyx

Alewyx
    Expand Collapse

6. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Is this a compliment or an insult?

7. Alewyx

Alewyx
    Expand Collapse

compliment

8. SandwichesANDmilk

SandwichesANDmilk
    Expand Collapse

screenshot_00190.png
    Making an engine prop pack! (yes i know someone has made it but its really old)
    --- Post updated ---
    upload_2018-1-27_18-6-7.png
    the great engine blob
    --- Post updated ---
    annnnnnnnnnnd repo
    upload_2018-1-27_19-30-36.png

#15588 SandwichesANDmilk, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  9. 440cid

440cid
    Expand Collapse

Good Lord, that looks really awesome!

10. gianpiero

gianpiero
    Expand Collapse

11. killstreak451

killstreak451
    Expand Collapse

12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Some things we spend hours on researching and fine tuning, calculating etc. That stuff does not really show up at all for the players, many mods set such values to something that somehow works, but somehow it is satisfactory when you find out how to do it properly and that you know it is accurately set.
    upload_2018-1-28_6-16-58.png

So that 3.09 instead of 2.5 or something else is perhaps not the biggest thing for immersion factor, fact that it might take bit of time to find out piece of data needed for equation, not many can appreciate effort and time put to such single number hidden deep in files, but surely it is nice to know it is right number.

13. 440cid

440cid
    Expand Collapse

Mind telling us more regarding what it is?

14. Brown_Diplomat

Brown_Diplomat
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Airflow of an radiator cooling fan.

You need to know how much heat radiator will dissipate in kWh for that to be any use, but when you find that out, then it is possible to calculate how much air flow you need to move enough heat off.

Formulas and info about fan and airflow aspect:
    http://www.sunon.com/uFiles/file/03_products/07-Technology/004.pdf

16. 440cid

440cid
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. My guess was correct then. I got the exact pdf too when I Google searched for "Cp x D x Delta T".

Now I have no clue what to input and how to put it to use on BeamNG. Beam's radiator is just something like this:

Code:
        "mainEngine":{
            "radiatorArea":0.37,
            "radiatorEffectiveness":7500,
            "coolantVolume":14,
            "radiatorFanType":"mechanical",
            "radiatorFanMaxAirSpeed":2,
            "thermostatTemperature":90
        },

17. Luciferion

Luciferion
    Expand Collapse

This is beautiful! ;D (Also this is my 100th message on this forum! ;D *huge confetti!*

18. @op@

@op@
    Expand Collapse

19. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I try to explain, also I would be glad if you can spot any errors in my reasoning.

With formula you get only CFM or M^3 per minute which alone is of course not what game needs, you need to convert that to m^3 per second and then to m/s, that will give you just "radiatorFanMaxAirSpeed"

"radiatorEffectiveness" is then what material radiator is, how good it's fin setup is in transferring heat to air etc. There is no formulas for that, it is just value that can be used to tune temps into correct range.

However if you manage to get airflow correct it is easier to tune "radiatorEffectiveness" so that you will get proper cooling effect.

So you get this formula from the document:
    upload_2018-1-28_13-34-1.png

500(watts) is how much heat radiator can move to air with maximum fan airflow, if you don't have that information, I don't know how to get it, because calculating that from radiator size, material and fin area becomes complicated really fast, you have to start working in all kinds of turbulence, pressure differences and you would need to know airflow for that, at least that is my current understanding.

10 is how much temperature is allowed to rise, I figured this so that how much above ambient temp radiator is allowed to be.

So if we know that radiator can dissipate 82.7kWh of heat, and if we want to allow radiator to be 75C above ambient temp, this is what formula looks like:
    0.05 x 82700 / 75 = 55.133 m^3/min

To get m^3/s I do 55.133 / 60 = 0.9188 m^3/s

Then comes part which I have not read anywhere, I just figured out that it has to be like this, so this can be wrong too.

To get how much air must flow trough the radiator, because radiator size is not 1m^2 I do:
    0.9188 / 0.2948 = 3.117, earlier I did round 0.9188 to 0.92 and got 3.09, which is value for "radiatorFanMaxAirSpeed".

That 0.2948 is radiator area, because 0.2948m^2 / 1m^2 is 0.2948 then to get 0.9188m^3/s to m/s I figured that I just divide it with area of radiator, because it is that much smaller hole than 1m^2 flow needed should scale properly.

For me it seems to give reasonable values, but I'm not an engineer or even clever and I haven't tested very thoroughly it with different radiator sizes and heat dissipation capabilities, simple because finding that heat dissipation (82.7kWh) is very very rare.

Okay, one might ask why there is no radiator fan diameter or area in this? Radiator fan moves air trough whole radiator, IRL there are more variables to that also, cowling, pressure stuff and how air tight cowling is etc. However in BeamNG it is perfect airflow trough whole radiator area.

Technically of course we still have to guess and tune "radiatorEffectiveness" by trial and error, so it really is not changing much if you put 2.5 or 3 or something into fan air speed, generally easy way to tune that is to set it so that your radiator fan can deal with the heat at low speeds unless you do really long burnout without moving.

That 82.7kWh radiator is for 190kW engine, there is heat dissipation trough block to air and trough exhaust to air too, also only ~80% of that energy is going to be heat, so you don't need 190kWh radiator, but usually cooling systems are not capable of removing full amount of energy powerful engine creates with just a cooling fan.

Perhaps pointless to spend so much time and energy for such a minor detail, but as I found piece of information I wanted to put it into use somehow, that was best that I could figure out, but it can be flawed :p

Update:
    I have forgotten most of math which I once knew, but to verify that I converted flow required trough 1m^2 to required flow trough 0.2948m^2 I did model simple radiator and 1m^3 of air in correct radiator areas:
    upload_2018-1-28_15-33-39.png

Smaller radiator air has to be 3.392 times longer than larger one, which happens to be 1m^2 / 0.2948m^2 = 3.392 so at least that part should work out just fine.

So trough smaller radiator air has to flow 3.392 times faster to move same volume at same time.

Now knowing that air flow trough small radiator and knowing it is copper radiator with fin pitch of 3.5mm with area of 0.2948m^2 and with flow of ~3.11m/s it can dissipate 82.7kWh worth of heat, it is possible to estimate other radiator's heat dissipation capabilities and required air flows for them.

I still have to do oil cooler and aluminum radiator, but when done, then at least in theory it should be possible to scale from that data to different sizes of radiators of similar type and perhaps to get some kind of understanding about how to estimate different radiators in a future.

#15599 fufsgfen, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  20. Luciferion

Luciferion
    Expand Collapse

Beauitiful! ;D when will this automobile be finished? ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice