1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Development Screens (Each post contains a picture OR contributing post)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LT. Smell My, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Dean Wang

Dean Wang
    Expand Collapse

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It is hard to show some type of modding progress, but have been doing this for last 2 hours, really boring stuff, but it has to be done:
    upload_2018-6-6_6-13-47.png

Just all the numbers and tuning of turbo is taking more than 5 hours, then there are even more than boost pressure and torque curve that needs to be adjusted and for first it is required that compressor map is done, which again requires more boring work.

You can think that making engine is a 5 minute job, but when attempting to get it to work exactly like in reality, that is not so quick. It is guessing game most of the time without this good data and guessing might be faster.

Still need to add multiplier for wheel power to flywheel power conversion to my tool and so many things that I can't even remember all.

Consider this, changing engine braking requires adjustment of inertia, but also changes whole torque curve, change of inertia often requires change in engine braking, that detail alone is easily more than an hour of adjustments.

Developing tools and means for engine building is lonely business, there are not much that you can read about that from forum, often I see that is area that modders skip and prefer to put time for pretty graphics instead, which is a shame.

Update: AAAaaand it is back to drawing board for me, once again, stuff that worked flawlessly with tests before goes berserk at higher boosts.

It's a mathematical problem and I lack abilities:
    0 = 1
    1 = 0.5
    2 = 0.25

So I can't figure out formula for that, even it should be one of the most simplistic things in mathematics, but I have forgotten too much.

Update2: Actually I figured out how to calculate that multiplier, I just calculate multiplier of power, then add 1 to that and divide torque from dyno data with new multiplier that I got.

However I'm still getting over 70Nm too much, which I can't locate. It can even be some part.
    Another issue is that I get wrong curve shape, which is related to boost build, but might be because ingame boost building is not finetuned yet.

So it is just taking more time to figure out what piece is missing, that 10% too much power has to come some error or from something I haven't noticed. It is frustrating when you are so close, but yet so far.

#17582 fufsgfen, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Nicelittle

Nicelittle
    Expand Collapse

240zg?
    E-Type?

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Putting engine to my ghetto dyno, I can now confirm, that there is 'slightly' too much boost at 2900rpm for example (spreadsheet has what it should be, ingame boost must be tuned to that value), adjusting max exhaust power and exhaust power multiplier is what gets that under proper values, however that is not helping max power being off, but after tuning boost to correct numbers on lower rpm, at least torque curve shape should be correct. Of course this takes a lot of time with this resolution...
    upload_2018-6-6_9-24-7.png upload_2018-6-6_9-26-16.png

Good thing I can have engine at max load with any rpm I want, makes this part of tuning bit easier :)

So, this has been now only about 4-5 hours of work, but tool developing has taken quite bit of that.

Reason why this part of tuning is important is because how boost increases affects a lot how car will feel when driving, spool up and spool down needs to be correct, maximum possible boost per rpm is then what defines how much power there will be. If power just is there like instantly, it is not quite correct, it varies from car to car and has to be correct for car to feel correct, imo. So it is not enough to have accurate power alone and that makes building turbo engine bit more challenging and there are few that are ready to spend required amount of time to tune these to perfection.

Two more hours and I might have boost somewhat set up :-\

Update: Curve has been shaping up quite nicely with just tuning boost to proper values:
    upload_2018-6-6_10-34-2.png

Still no clue about too much power though, but it is two fold problem, it is problem that I need to solve to improve my tools, but I can always just adjust little bit of torque or just accept values as it is as dyno data is from the wheels and we are looking flywheel figures here.

Someday I will need to find out why there is such error though, but tuning process is so horribly boring alone, yet with trying to chase some evading error.

Who knows, maybe error is that 6% increase is coming with 0.85 value instead of 1.0, it was mentioned default being 6%, default is often 0.85 at max, but I think I did see 6% in code and that would be 1.0 being 6%, need to examine.

#17584 fufsgfen, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Safthof

Safthof
    Expand Collapse

upload_2018-6-6_9-45-37.png

Hm, not the hidden information I was hoping for...

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It's Gatebil time :p

• Like Like x 4
  7. gianpiero

gianpiero
    Expand Collapse

No o_O

8. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  9. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

Random Person: "Why the solar system in a car game?"

Me: "Why are there animals in a car game?"

Capture.png

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. BryceCharters

BryceCharters
    Expand Collapse

Awesome, I can't wait to try it out! Now we just need some kind of futuristic science fiction spaceship in the game to explore that map with.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Tested Blender 2.8, not sure if I like it, few things are making it slower to use for me, but let's see if I learn new ways or figure out how to use old ways.
    upload_2018-6-6_23-33-20.png

Very poor attempt of tunnel entrance, didn't really have a plan or vision, terrain I intend to smooth and shape in Terrain editor, but just need something to plug the gap between tunnel and terrain.

Maybe I should spy some maps and how others have done such :p

• Like Like x 4
  12. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Finally a success! Tires no longer Spike when they flex. Every day closer to release...

• Like Like x 11
  13. Tsutarja495

Tsutarja495
    Expand Collapse

Shelby Series 1 type of vehicle?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dean Wang

Dean Wang
    Expand Collapse

woah, thats nice

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Not really, I need to redo that later, but it will do as a placeholder for now, I'm not happy at all with sand and tunnel line at ground, need to figure out way to blend that better, also tunnel textures are placeholders:
    upload_2018-6-7_3-19-34.png
    After all that is first ever tunnel entrance I have made, I'm just learning while doing here, but my map might not be quite typical if I can do all I have planned :p

I guess it is tiny bit better than other end though where tunnel just pokes trough o_O
    upload_2018-6-7_3-27-53.png

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Godzilla!

Godzilla!
    Expand Collapse

screenshot_04165.png screenshot_04166.png
    Aftermarket halos for Hopper (functions as DRLs)

• Like Like x 24
  17. Marcus_gt500

Marcus_gt500
    Expand Collapse

This paint is only for the race, right Saint? SAY IT IS!

screenshot_00011.png
    --- Post updated ---
    Time to burn the side

screenshot_00014.png screenshot_00011.png screenshot_00012.png
    --- Post updated ---
    screenshot_00028.png

• Like Like x 8
  18. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Refined the model quite a lot.

• Like Like x 17
  20. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I spam this here too, not all mods need to be complicated, sometimes simple idea with simple construction works just as well:

I think that it was about 3-4 hours of work to that point, but there is of course lot more to do and experiment, but I'm quite happy with it how easily it came together.

Update: It occured to me that someone might question of my jbeam a bit, so I thought I write explanation in advance.

As purpose of that ufo is to be just a stage, I had few goals for jbeam, 1st would be that I can use node grabber to suspend ufo from thin air.
    2nd was to get wind to move ufo and 3rd goal was to have ufo stand on ground.

For wind of move ufo most simple form of jbeam would be one that wind catches best, that is simple plane, while other goals required to have some kind of feet for ufo to stand on and few nodes to put strings to.

So I figured out that such shape would perhaps work well for my purposes.

Oh and most definitely I'm lazy of building some boring things that take long, but that had only minor effect on this :D :D :D

#17600 fufsgfen, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice