Different Controller Presets

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by bluerider598, Aug 6, 2017.

1. bluerider598

bluerider598
    Expand Collapse

It would be nice to be able to switch to a different controller and not have to change all the assignments around. For example, if I want to switch from using my steering wheel to a controller, I would have to change all the button assignments to match up with the different button setup on the controller. Being able to switch between 2 or 3 controller configurations would be great.

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Not sure but, you can't already?
    Add the bindings without removing the others.
    Each binding you assign with a device will be used only on that device.

As far your devices are actually separate devices (ie. Your wheel does not think it's a controller, but actually shows up as a different device) it should work?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bluerider598

bluerider598
    Expand Collapse

Just tested it again, I unplugged my wheel then tried to bind button 7 on my controller to the throttle, but I had a button on my wheel that was binded to the parking brake, which was also button 7, so they conflicted.

4. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

This shouldn't happen unless both devices identify themselves as the same model. If that's happening, then either they are both xbox controllers, or you have problems in your drivers. Please send a support report so I can take a look.

5. holographicdreams

holographicdreams
    Expand Collapse

I have the same problem because I use a Xbox 360 driving wheel and a Xbox 360 controller usually via the same adapter
    This really would be handy for me because the bindings and settings that I apply for the driving wheel don't really work well with the controller vice versa etc.

6. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

@GoogleMe2461 there's no short term plans to provide support for that, but i'll keep it in mind

@bluerider598 this is weird, the logs show your g920 wheel and your dual action gamepad as being clearly distinct devices. Can you please explain in more detail what exact issue you are having? From a quick look at your support report, I cannot see anything wrong. Thanks!

7. bluerider598

bluerider598
    Expand Collapse

Sure. I can't use more than one controller without having to reassign all the buttons. For example, I cannot assign button 7 on my gamepad to anything because it will conflict with the control for button 7 on the steering wheel, so I'd have to either delete the assignment, or change it.

8. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

(emphasis mine)
    Do you mean you get the conflict warning on screen when you attempt to do that?

upload_2017-8-8_19-7-21.png

If so, then don't worry about that message, and simply save the binding as usual.

If it is not that, can you please specify what happens? Describe step by step what the problem looks like. For example: "if i assign this binding to the gamepad, the binding on the steering wheel will no longer appear when i plug it", or whatever may happen in your case.
    Thanks!

9. bluerider598

bluerider598
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, I should have elaborated further. I get the conflict warning screen, but even if I accept, anything that was assigned for the wheel carries over to the controller as well. So for instance, the throttle and brake is assigned to RZAxis for the g920 pedals. When I go to use my gamepad and load a level, the throttle and brake are automatically assigned to RZAxis, which are the analog sticks. And since they are obviously in a neutral position, the throttle and brake are both applied at 50%, which requires changing all the assignments that were set up for the wheel in order to drive. This is why I suggested having presets, as it would solve this problem and make switching between controllers virtually instant.

10. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Can you please take 3 screenshots of the Controls > Hardware tab, in BeamNG menu?
    1st one with the gamepad plugged in
    2nd one with the wheel plugged in
    3rd one with both plugged in

11. bluerider598

bluerider598
    Expand Collapse

Sure. I made them spoilers to avoid making a giant post.

12. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Thanks. Everything looks perfectly normal there, and what you sent in the support report file looks fine too. Each device should be saving its bindings on its own separate files.

Can you please try disabling all the mods you may have? If that doesn't work, please try a clean reinstall, and then retry creating bindings for both devices, see if the problem persists.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice