1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Distances - what to believe : onboard computer or debugRoadLenght ?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by DePains, Nov 28, 2018.

1. DePains

DePains
    Expand Collapse

Hi there,

I was putting marshall towers along my tracks, 1 each Km helped with the onboard computer. And I realized that according to it ("total distance", which I reset at each new marshall tower), the Nordschleife on my map is 20,45Km. Real life is 20.83 Km.

And then I draw 1 decalroad on top of the existing ones, remaking the entire lap with it. And there, debugDecalRoad tells me that my track is 20,76 Km. That obviously fits me better than 20,45...

I checked on the gridmap : I draw a 1 Km straight decalroad and drove on it. On board computer gave me values ranging from 980 to 990m.

Which one do I believe ? debugRoadLenght on on-board computer ?
    Thanks !

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Decal road.

Onboard computer calculates distance from revolutions of the wheel and that can be off for numerous reasons, even air pressure of tires can affect that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DePains

DePains
    Expand Collapse

Thanks fufsgfen,

What an intricate way to calculate it. I knew I saw some weird reading once a wheel was damaged :p
    It arouse my curiosity : why not just calculating it from X-Y-Z position of a node ?

4. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

Devs like being realistic, almost every UI app and game function is forced to be "realistic" by reading sensor data from the car rather than cheating and using values from the game engine. Obviously if you need to be precise use debug.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Game vs simulator, approach is different, for simulation to work like reality, methods of reality must be used as much as possible.

But funny thing, pretty much every game that has Simulator in their name, are not really good simulators at all, but very simplified games, odd things of life.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Yep, we try to simulate things as accurately as possible and that starts down at what data we use for various things. Instead of using the "correct" data that a game engine can provide you we often choose to rather use data a real car would have. This in turn brings up many issues that actual cars also have to deal with.
    If you were to measure the odometer of a real car, you'd also notice that it's not perfectly accurate, especially not if you fit tires that aren't made for it (ie different overall radius). :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. DePains

DePains
    Expand Collapse

Nice,

I thank you all for the little lesson !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice