Does anyone else have a very laggy chrome?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Deleted member 1747, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

My main PC died so now i am forced to use my shitty ass laptop for everything. (hard drive failure)
    When i try to use that laptop in Google Chrome ANYTHING with fancy animations, flash things or videos, it lags, even on low quality. No i dont have slow internet 25+mb/s.

The specs are horrible.

Hewlett-Packard (egh ik) Pavillion g6
    6.00gb DDr3 RAM
    AMD E2-APU 320mb
    Windows 8.1

Im not strapped for cash and right now i dont have enough money for Windows 7 and a new hard drive.
    So my situation is no youtube, twitch etc etc.

2. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

1. Windows 8.1 is way faster and more efficient than 7.
    2. Chrome sucks, use Firefox.

3. vladmir poopin

vladmir poopin
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

windows 7 is better that 8.1
    Firefox suck chrome is better (mostly)

- - - Updated - - -

its most likey the cpu

4. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

1. I also hate the new start screen, but Windows 8 is undeniably faster than 7. It's the very base of optimisation, less background processes = less CPU load. This gives more CPU headroom and makes everything faster.
    2. Firefox takes longer to start up, but browsing is significantly faster than Chrome. Plus there's a lot more addons and you can completely customise the UI, while Chrome lets you do... Nothing. Plus Google decided it was a good idea to have an individual process for every tab, addon, and applet running. Sure, it's safer than just using threads, but it's terrible for slow PCs. And if that's not enough, Chrome screws up pretty much every download larger than 2GB, stopping at 800MB or so. Firefox doesn't, neither does Internet Explorer. Chrome just doesn't like downloading large files.
    So no, firefox doesn't suck. It's actually the best browser around.

- - - Updated - - -

OT: I just looked up the CPU, it's absolute rubbish. Try Firefox, it's better optimised and should run much better on a low power CPU. Just try not to open too many tabs at once or you'll have a big RAM hog. You should be fine with 6GB though.
    I'm just wondering what went through the mind of whoever created that laptop. 6GB of RAM and that crap CPU is horribly unbalanced, it could have 3GB or even 2 and a much better CPU.

5. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

Lol, Firefox good, your hilarious, ram hog is what that crap is, 2gb for 1 tab is buckshot, ive had chrome download 3gb files and it gave me consistent speeds the entire time, without a single failure, no idea what your talking about there, chrome has plenty of customization, including the ui, so once again no idea where you got that from, my laptop has worse specs then op, runs chrome no problem or lag, once again, no idea where you got bad optimization from, firefox most certainly does not load pages faster then chrome (faster then ie though, so ill give it that)

And no, I dont have any add-ons or anything on firefox, so thats not it either, firefox is just a in case of chrome not working but dont like internet explorer because its even worse ram hogging browser

Sent from the 3rd galaxy from the talks of tapping

6. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

How much RAM the browser uses depends on the website you're loading. And no, chrome has no customisation at all. You can use themes, but you can't move things around like you can in Firefox.
    As for downloads, it's probably my shit connection. But Firefox works fine, while Chrome fucks shit up.

And yes, Firefox does load faster than Chrome. Mozilla screws up badly at times (Firefox 20), but since 30 it's been the fastest browser around.

Development tools are much better too.

7. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

Doesn't matter what website, Firefox always uses 2gb of ram for me, period, even the about:blank page

Lol no it doesnt, firefox takes ages to load any page, chrome is done loading everything as soon as I hit enter

Ill give them development tools as well, they are extremely well done

Firefox isnt a bad browser, but definitely not the best

8. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Which Firefox version? 20-29 were absolutely terrible, 30 fixed everything. I did several tests and it's much faster. It does take ages to start though, but I don't really mind that.
    As for the memory leaks, they were also a v20-29 problem fixed in 30. If you're running an old version, update. If you're running 30-32, try a reinstall, it might be broken.

9. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

I always let firefox auto update, so its whatever the latest version is

10. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Then you have a problem, try reinstalling.

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Firefox 32 on windows 8.1 on both my machines. Consistently slower page loading, up to 50%. Consistently worse memory usage with the same selection of tabs open. CPU usage, no discernable difference. No hardware GPU acceleration I could find either.
    Threads don't add much overhead for slow CPUs as each one is low priority. If anything, firefoxes single threaded environment has been exploited for malicious intentions before plus if 1 browser tab crashes in Firefox the entire browser crashes, chrome does not, just that 1 tab crashes.

So. Consistently slower, ram hogging, less secure and less resistant to crashes. Yep. Firefox is *much* better... Hell, last html5 compliance test I ran had it lagging behind chrome too.

12. theshark

theshark
    Expand Collapse

@logoster

your keyboard seems to be broken, here have a new fullstop key.
    computer_key_Greater_than_Period.png

13. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Huh. I've never seen you around these forums before..

Anyway, I used to use Firefox all the time, but Chrome got better so now I pretty much only use Chrome.

14. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

Actually I wrote that on phone, its really really annoying to use periods on a tiny keyboard

15. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Commas don't seem to pose a challenge to you.

--

Aside from the occasional crashes, freezes, and unkillable processes that make restarting Chrome impossible without a reboot, the Canary channel is fantastic and runs nicely on my i5 540m HP.

16. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

reply in bold

only thing i've ever had become an unkillable process is java after running minecraft for a while, but it doesn't happen near as often as it used to

17. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Task manager recognises chrome as being 32 bit. Would it help running the 64 bit (my machine is 64 bit) if possible?

18. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

yes, 64-bit would more then likely run better

19. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

The thing is HOW :confused::confused:

20. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

how what?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice