Does upgrading my Mother board worth it ?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Ulrich, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Hello!

As you may know last year I bought an I5-4460 with an LGA-1150 port, this was a bit dumb since the 1150 ports series is pretty much dead, and I don't have the money to buy another CPU.

My actual Mb is an Asrock H81M-DGS R2.0, A Micro-ATX, it's not too bad for what I paid for it, but it really limits my upgrades plans.
    First of all it only feature one 2.0 PCI-e, I'd prefer a 3.0 PCI-e, there's only one fan port cooler, which isn't great, and I can't go above 8go of rams.

I would like to upgrade to the "Best" LGA-1150 motherboard still sold, the "Asrock Z97 Anniversary". For about 80€ it seems like a very good deal, and it doesn't looks bad.

Specs : http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/z97 anniversary/

But does it worth it ?

2. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

I would say it isn't worth it. Going from PCI-e 2.0 to PCI-e 3.0 will have close to no performance impact. I'd recommend just saving up the money and doing a proper upgrade sometime in the future.

3. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

The thing is, "Saving a bit more" would be probably about 400€+, New CPU 250€, new mother board 150€, 8go DDR4 80€... Yeah after seeing graphs, PCI-e 2.0 and PCI-e 3.0 perfom pretty much exacly the same, maybe -150 If I sold my actual CPU, but I can't afford spending 300€ in one go :/

4. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

maybe keep onto it, until Zen+ comes out (or a high end APU)

5. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

Do you also plan to upgrade your GPU? Also, how much ram do you have right now?

6. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

My specs :
    PC.jpg

Dunno if I feel like waiting until 2019 :x

7. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

Oh, I'm blind, sorry. Honestly, the only thing I would change in that build would be the GPU but overall it is pretty well balanced right now. Of course this depends on your needs but I think that a new GPU would improve your gaming experience the most without upsetting the money budget too much.

8. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

I got it almost new for a very good price few months ago from my brother, tbh I run most game on full at 50-60 fps, so this is enough for me. I'd like to updgrade to 16go ram, because... uh... yeah. I've finally got an official W-10 key (OEM key :/), I'm waiting to get an SSD to install it, It's why I was thinking about upgrading my Mother board.
    I'd also like to get a new case, with a window, cause mine is really bad (Dont have enough space to connect the PCI-e cables, very cheap case, awful fan, old design and no cable management.)
    Have a look :
    DSC_0854.jpg
    So I know it may seem weird, but this Mb would have make my build a lot "Pretier" if you see what I mean ^^.

9. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I know what you mean but there are pretty much 0 performance gains. I'd rather spend that money on getting more RAM or a nice looking case in your scenario.

10. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

As I said, I can't get more RAM, my Mother board is limited to 8go :/

11. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

Gosh darn, I have the memory of a goldfish.

12. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

No problem, me too, and it's late here, so my english is awful x)

13. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Your max supported RAM on H81 should be 16gb, not 32gb
    https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-Micro...id=1499991849&sr=1-2&keywords=Asrock+H81M-DGS
    Even says so above. My z97 1150-socket chipset does 32gb because it can take 2 dimms per channel, in dual channel. (yours has 2 slots where mine has four, so you support 16gb, get a pair of 8gb sticks).
    Ram support didn't change between H/Z8x series and H/Z9x series, just faster speeds, sata III on more ports, and m.2 drive x2-lane ability.
    Max supported size per dimm is 8gb. Double up your RAM and when you're sure it's stable, go ahead and sell the old kit.
    If you're going to get a new system, get a Ryzen, they chew through Beamng.drive physics like a madman.

I usually recommend corsair memory, but list price is most to least expensive. I use Corsair here.
    https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Veng...992113&sr=1-2&keywords=corsair+ddr3+1600+16gb

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ball...qid=1499992217&sr=1-1&keywords=ddr3+1600+16gb

https://www.amazon.com/Komputerbay-...id=1499992217&sr=1-16&keywords=ddr3+1600+16gb

Komputerbay is generic, but it's hynix chips on the memory, and they're as good as anything you get in prebuilts, with a H81 board, no memory overclocking support over spec (1600mhz) so memory is memory.

#13 bob.blunderton, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Uh yeah, don't where I've seen "only 8go" but whatever?

I'm like, don't what to do with my money.

There's so much I wan't to buy for 100€:

- I could get a new desk, mine is too small, old and not handy
    - I could get a new chair, mine cause me back pain
    - I could get a new case and CPU cooler, my case is awfull and the stock Intel fan is not particullary good
    - I could a new motherboard, with DDR4 and an AMD socket, but I'll need to wait an other year until I can get the other stuffs.
    - I could a Ryzen 5, but then I'll have to wait to get the other stuffs
    - I could get new DDr3 ram, but that would be dumb cause If I wanna get a new DDr4 motherboard it would be useless.
    - I could get new games
    - I could get pieces for my 403, but I won't enough to go futher, and the get will never be ready for when I'm old enough to drive.
    - I could get most pieces for fixing my Golf, but it's totally driveable like that

I really don't know what to do.

15. nolotank

nolotank
    Expand Collapse

Skip that. Save until you can get a real upgrade in another area. How soon is "SSD(soon)?"

16. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Don't know, probably at christmas tbh

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice