Double Wishbone vs MacPherson

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by IvelinV8, Jun 18, 2017.

1. IvelinV8

IvelinV8
    Expand Collapse

Can an old dwb compete with new macpherson?
    Let's say I buy performance suspension parts for my Lada(RWD, under 1000kg, DWB front, easy e30 rear suspension swap), will it be able to compete with a more modern macpherson car, like a bmw E90, around a track(provided they both have similar power(engine swaps aren't that hard)) ?

Because I have seen people do DWB to MacPherson swaps for some reason.

2. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Well, double wishbone is generally better for performance (this is why sports cars like the Miata and even some supercars use a double wishbone design), the only advantages of MacPherson are that it's simpler, cheaper, and easier to service due to its simplicity.

The lada in theory will be faster than the E90 with the same power as it weighs less. However if you want an old russian brick to compete with a german luxury car, you will have to do much more than an engine swap. Around a track, there's no way a lada with an engine swap (and no other mods) can beat an E90, even if it has 10x the power.

I would say the reason you've seen DWB to MacPherson swaps is because of modding possibilities, as there isn't much of an aftermarket for ladas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice