1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Drifting harder than in real life?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vinkkelikasi, Sep 27, 2017.

1. vinkkelikasi

vinkkelikasi
    Expand Collapse

Okay so I don't know why but I find it quite difficult to maintain a drift without spinning out or spinning from a snap oversteer when chancing direction in a drift. I've tried adjusting suspension, wheel alignment, tire pressure etc. as I would do irl but to no avail. In real life I have a 750whp car I have no problem controlling even at drifts of over 100km/h. Easy and fun.

Anybody else feel the same way? I find it rather annoying since driving in the game feels very realistic in other aspects.

Oh, and I use a Logitech G25 steering wheel in case you're wondering.

2. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

You'll never get as much feedback from a gaming wheel as you will in a real car. You can't feel the weight of the car shift so its difficult to know when to steer and how much.

3. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

You cant feel the force in the car, nor the shifting etc, you also aren't worried about damaging the car as its a game.

4. MC-H

MC-H
    Expand Collapse

Hello. I know that it might sound unreasonable, but I believe that drifting is actually harder in the world of VR. I don't do drifting, so I might not be all right. This is just what I think.

In reality, you "feel" the car. You can get a sense of how sharp you are turning judging by the lateral acceleration you are receiving and can respond much more appropriately.

In this world of VR, all you get are numbers, and they don't help you to "feel" the car. You would still be seating stationary in your room and not be moving in your selected VR vehicle. The "G-force meter" could potentially help you to see the acceleration better. I don't know if you had tried that or not.

I'll leave this video here (if you haven't seen it, hopefully, it helps.)

5. vinkkelikasi

vinkkelikasi
    Expand Collapse

I find even drifting in small circles (or doing a big donut?) without spinning challenging, even though it is very easy in real life... Could be due to not feeling the forces, but damn, feels like something just isn't right :rolleyes:

6. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Well, I'd say it's because there's no temperature & tire wear simulation (yet), so the car doesn't behave as much as it should :p

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. Tsutarja495

Tsutarja495
    Expand Collapse

Many aspects of the game are still unfinished, such as tire temperature and wear simulation.

8. CaptanW

CaptanW
    Expand Collapse

*has never driven a car in real life* *plays with keyboard* *demands it to be like need for speed*

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

As long as you get used to the throttle control, then it becomes easier to drift. You could try the Sunburst's drift ESC, it doesn't let you spin out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. RedHorizon

RedHorizon
    Expand Collapse

I've always found flying in simulators very difficult, irl; not so much. In simulations you can't feel g-forces, sideloads, movement, bumps, etc., it's like trying to paint with numb hands.

11. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Thats exactly it... I also have a G25 and its damn hard to drift for me... not just in this game though, but in most games with this wheel... In a real car, you can just flick the wheel and it will go from lock to lock in just a second... the G25 just doesn't move fast enough... its so slow.

That and the fact that you can't feel the G-Forces is a BIG one. In a real car you can feel everything where as in this game you only get the force feedback through the wheel... its not enough.

That being said, if you get good at drifting with the wheel in game, that will bring your real life skill way up.

12. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

Adding on to that, your insurance will not go up when you crash into a tree, and you don't waste tires/fuel.

13. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

True that

14. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

real life tires are

r
    d o
    n u

beamng tires ain't, grip is inconsistent at best, anybody who says otherwise is a liar

15. vinkkelikasi

vinkkelikasi
    Expand Collapse

Glad I'm not alone!
    Yes the wheel may have something to do with it also, in addition to not feeling G forces. I tried drifting with a gamepad and it's easier but I have never driven a drift car in real life with a controller so I can't compare :D

I doubt that really isn't gonna help... Just doesn't feel like the real thing so if you already are decent at drifting no game will make you any better. That being said, I gotta get to the garage to get my car on the track in spring again..

You don't have to worry about insurance or crashing in real life either unless you do it on the streets ;) Yea it would be way cheaper practicing in BeamNG than destroying multiple sets of rear tyres a day (plus other costs)!

16. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Mostly what I meant by that is when doing it in game with a wheel, you get to the point that even without the extra input of the car, you can predict how the car is going to react based purely on visual and wheel feedback alone... then, also because the wheel is to slow to catch up, you can manually put the wheel into its position since a simple flick just doesn't work with the wheel. (I have tried every combination of settings from force feedback for my wheel and nothing seemed to be able to do it) Once you can do that in game, you hop into a car and it becomes all that much easier to control (granted, like you said, if you have the benefit of real life drifting experience already, and are pretty good at it as well, than this probably won't do much for you)

Not only that, this will make you want to use your steering less because of the lack of speed and accuracy and that really only leaves you with one area left to control the car. That's the throttle. The game makes you naturally good at throttle control... or at least that's what it did for me. Now I barely do any countersteering and just kinda do all the work with my right foot. (Not saying I am necessarily good, but I am definitely improving from when I started)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice