DriveEditor - Vehicle Configuration (.jbeam) Editor GUI

Discussion in 'Utilities and programming' started by Trumple, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Trumple

Trumple
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the suggestions! All of them seem sensible, I must admit the main focus of my development time went into making the thing work as opposed to making it look nice. Now it works it would be a good idea for me to go back and make things more user friendly! As for the menu strip I'm not too worried - you can't please everyone. If I change the menu strip some will want the old one back :)

Thanks again for the feedback, I'd like to allow you all to collaborate on this at some point

Thanks for the feedback, I see what you mean now. Yes, it would be an idea to "template" check the jbeams to the BeamNG requirements. The BeamNG specification probably wont change dramatically any time soon, so it could work. I don't have a great deal of time with University starting again soon, would you be interested in collab work on GitHub or something?

2. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Yes GitHub or SVN would be just fine (I'm more comfortable with SVN but GitHub will do ^^). I can work on the "user friendly" part if you get what I mean but I don't really know about the parsing of jbeam stuff you did so wouldn't really mess with that part. Maybe you should make a dll out of all the parsing stuff so that this editor can remain intact and some including me and I'm hoping you ;) could use it on another project too.

3. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

I used JustDecompile to get the code and modify it although C# hated it but it still worked. So yeah I am in total favor of this going open source :)

4. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

So I have started working on what I said and will make it available through some sharing project when I have enough.

5. Trumple

Trumple
    Expand Collapse

Awesome! Thanks for that, I'll be putting this on GitHub soon, I've just arrived home from vacation.

6. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Still working on the business layer even if I also started the GUI stuff. So I'll give away something once I get something concrete to work. Will have some more time for hat in the upcoming days.

EDIT
    Alright I'm still decomposing the stuff from the vehicle files to build classes out of them. It takes time to get everything taken into account. I need to rely on both the wiki and the existing files because neither include everything that can be done. And there are many specific ways to do things that make it harder to determine the best approach for each case. After decomposing it all (which I do to easily play with the data from the GUI later and in a user-friendly way) I'll still have to rebuild it. It will be slightly different because for example some groups can have multiple properties or may be split into multiple groups holding parts of the required properties, which are not even always required.
    But I'm still on it and it grows. If I can release a working version of this it should work with all existing vehicles and allow making all that can currently be done for new vehicles. Problem is I know the specs are going to change soon. Things will be added etc. So we'll see.
    The UI is not very useful yet but I already got some things done.

DriveBeamEditor-001.png
    DriveBeamEditor-002.png

#46 GregBlast, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  7. Fireboyd78

Fireboyd78
    Expand Collapse

Wow. This is so well-written and thought out, that your program could just very well be the official BeamNG JBeam editor. Keep up the great work dude!

8. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. Just don't have much time for that currently. And this thread was not about my stuff at first so it will go to a separate thread once concrete enough. And I'll link it to this one because Trumple did the actual original working part that I'm using.

9. raidwerks

raidwerks
    Expand Collapse

hey mate,
    the download doesnt seem to work.
    could you check the downloadlink or upload the file as an attachment to your first post?

thanks!

10. Trumple

Trumple
    Expand Collapse

Hey,

Sorry about that, my webhost messed up yesterday! If you still have trouble, let me know.

Cheers

11. Deleted member 31346234

Deleted member 31346234
    Expand Collapse

Um you should have a button that backups and reverts back to original so if I made a mistake its still no big deal.

12. Rydog106

Rydog106
    Expand Collapse

When I open the program all it does is sit there with a white screen then it will say not responding and do nothing? Any idea how to fix. I have tried admin but that didn't work.

13. bratska77

bratska77
    Expand Collapse

The only thing that I see missing (as of now;)) is the ability to alter the transmission gear ratios, and within that, to add/subtract gears:) overall an amazing piece of work and I thank you good sir!:D

14. upsetkiller

upsetkiller
    Expand Collapse

we are in desperate need of something like this , sad to see no one could reproduce one in over 2 years

15. upsetkiller

upsetkiller
    Expand Collapse

16. Beam NG Driver

Beam NG Driver
    Expand Collapse

Hi,
    I know that this mod is very old.
    But:Does it still work,or am I too stupid to open the vehicle folder?
    I go to settings, select Beamng -> Content -> Vehicles
    Then I hit save and exit,but the box is empty.

17. Taza

Taza
    Expand Collapse

1. This is not a mod
    2. Don't use it. It's very old (and therefore most likely won't work), use for example notepad++ to change values instead. Many things have changed since 2013.

Interestingly, there has never, not once been a need to unpack a vehicle during the time I have made mods for this game.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice