1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Driver Updates-- Which ones should I concern myself with?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by B3_Burner, Mar 18, 2019.

1. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

Drivers are one of those things I never think about and I easily take for granted-- that is until something starts to go wrong.

So general rule of thumb:
    1. Is letting the computer and/or the manufacturer's auto-search find the best driver update for my computer, an okay "lazy-man's" way out of getting things done?

2. Or is it always better to go on the manufacturer's website and type in exact make, model, and numbers into the search box?

I dread driver updates with a passion, simply because doing the latter route can be quite labor-intensive, and is almost impossible in some instances. My stuff is either way outdated and they don't even have my model number in the index anymore, or I simply fear accidentally installing the wrong driver update, and really fouling things up.

I was able to find & successfully update the AMD GPU driver last night, and I'm reasonably certain I have the right one. But then I started thinking... what about the other hardware on the computer? Do they too have drivers that also need to be updated? Which of the following should I be concerned about, and which ones are... "Nahh... no big deal... leave 'em alone." ?

1. CPU?
    2. PSU?
    3. Motherboard?
    4. C-drive hard disc?
    5. Joystick?
    6. Keyboard?
    7. Mouse?
    8. Monitors/Display screens?

I've always thought, if it ain't broke, don't fix it (or let sleeping dogs lie); but with computer stuff... one never can tell... and since my base computer knowledge is limited, I never like to leave things to chance.

Thanks for whatever insight you can provide.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice