1. Thread posting restricted: Only the BeamNG team members can post new threads in this sub-forum in order to prevent spam. Posting is available on unlocked threads.

Driving Modes: Brainstorming

Discussion in 'Microblogs' started by Diamondback, Mar 5, 2019.

1. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I think I came up with 5 modes, Eco, Performance, Track, Race and Hillclimb

2. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

or just a normal thing you have to deal with in cars with electronically operated throttle. In real life you do notice it a lot especially with economy cars (In my driving school skoda there is like 0.5- 1 sec delay between flooring it and car realizing what are you trying to do, and in case of my mom's 2009 1.2 tce Renault Modus you have even more lag, since first you have to wait for throttle to open up and then the turbo starts to think about creating any boost, so after like 1-1.5 sec you suddenly have a kick in your back from the car.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. 420

Expand Collapse

maby a tow haul mode for towing cars uphil and heavy trailers

4. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

So far we don't have any trucks which would have a tow/haul mode, the D-series is too old for any driving modes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

A valet mode that limits engine power would be interesting. Could make for some interesting missions, or maybe even a career element?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

I'd love an offroad version of this, like Landrover's terrain response..

Snow/Ice/Mud: Starts off in 2nd gear, throttle is really low sensitivity, you have to go about 50% of the throttle to just pull away normally.. (might affect torque converter operation, much to diamondback's happiness :p )
    Other modes: Lock differentials, some can switch the transfer case to Lo also..

But the winter mode seems coolest..

Also a few things for the gearbox:

Standard: Pretty damn linear, depending on car it will lean toward performance or economy (eg. Sunburst more economy, but SBR4 more performance) torque converter with interesting behaviour

Eco: Stop drop and lock your torque converters people :p so this mode will have early shift patterns, pretty much how the non aggression automatic works.. and that will be that, maybe change to idle when you let the foot off the accelerator...

Performance: Like what we have now (standard not race mode) but with a more pokey throttle mapping, like 50% throttle could result in 60% actual torque.. Gears hold longer, shifts for DCT more abrupt, torque converters locked

Comfort: Torque converter to the rescue, this could be very hard to implement.. so likely won't happen, but have it so there is a target RPM, say it goes from 1st to 2nd, then it locks in 2nd to drop the rpms as it accelerates (being careful as we are in comfort mode here :p) and then unlocks 3rd, until car is going fast enough to have 3rd locked, and when it is locked, that rpm to be only say within 200rpm of the previous rpm that was attained with torque converter active in 3rd..

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. scandalspk

scandalspk
    Expand Collapse

I don't think so that color have any impact on car perfomance.

8. BeamNG.Lover2002

BeamNG.Lover2002
    Expand Collapse

Eco mode maybe uses less cylinders and make the dials green or something

in modern cars

• Like Like x 1
  9. ByteGuy

ByteGuy
    Expand Collapse

I think that is a fantastic idea. Maybe for the newer ETKS or other modern cars in the future

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

I'm not certain if it's true but i heard someone say that regulations require that full acceleration from a car must be available at all times, regardless of the mode, eg. even though i might be in eco mode, if my foot is hard down on the floor, it will still hang onto the gears, just when it isn't at beyond say 98% throttle it returns to normal eco mapping

• Like Like x 1
  11. Krt3k

Krt3k
    Expand Collapse

Maybe different exhaust notes in different drive modes, so that Sport add cracks and unnecessary backfires on a very new car like the newer ETKs. Maybe also muffled sounds when driving in ECO mode

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  12. A Sawblade Dude

A Sawblade Dude
    Expand Collapse

This would be awesome to see!

13. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

I would imagine that modifying the soundconfig and the after fire coefficients shouldn't be too hard for them...
    imagine a K series which pops and crackles as much as a Jag F-type in sport mode!

14. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Ok so my other post now come to think of it was more of a dream than what can become a reality.. so here goes...

Comfort: Softer suspension maybe *shrug* start off in 2nd gear (it's a mercedes thing)
    Sport: Agressive throttle map, gears are delayed hard suspension
    Eco: Not agressive throttle map :p gearbox uses the old hydraulic style of shifting, where the engine will mainly max out throttle before it downshifts...

Offroad modes (c'mon there will be a crossover in BeamNG at some point, or a new SUV):

(1:00 in) this explains below vv

Snow/Ice/Gravel : same as comfort, raised suspension, differentials locked if traction control happens frequently, traction control throttle cut disabled. gearbox starts in 2nd eco throttle map
    Mud ruts: Suspension max height, locked differentials, Low range
    Sand: Sport throttle map, no traction control, ESC still active, locked differentials (maybe?)

Did i mention the ability for the gearbox to start off in 2nd :p

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I kinda like how you have the shifting maps and also offroad conditions are available there, I definitely feel if its for the Driving modes for say a Diesel or Petrol car it would work also for an Electric car maybe less so but still an excellent idea :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

If there is going to be different modes that affect sportiness, beamng will have to have some sort of engine timing and tuning added, basically what automation has for it's engines. If this becomes a reality, VVT would be a nice bonus.

17. MTKush

MTKush
    Expand Collapse

Exhaust modes is a very interesting implementation, yet limited to very few. EX. Mustang gt has a few exhaust settings. On the contrary vehicles such as the D-Series would lack said mode. ETK could have this implementation to give it that luxury feel of options. Very interested. I like the ideas.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Addicti0nToB00st

Addicti0nToB00st
    Expand Collapse

Maybe a fake sound actor for diesel etk's? They would sound like v8s in cabin when put to sport+ or some sporty mode? Might make game more immersive.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

Maybe adjustable suspension? Plenty of cars stiffen the suspension for sport modes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. zschmeez

zschmeez
    Expand Collapse

I have a 2010 Prius, that has 3 modes: Eco, normal, and PWR (power) mode. The main changes between the modes are throttle response (eco requires more pedal travel for the same throttle, though full throttle in all modes is still 100% of what the car can give) and amount of regen on the braking. With some modification, you could do Eco and Power/Sport modes on a normal econobox (think: Sunburst) and just modify the pedal travel to actual throttle ratio.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice