Driving with the Steam Controller - Two Videos

Discussion in 'Videos, Screenshots and other Artwork' started by NewoFox, Feb 17, 2016.

1. NewoFox

NewoFox
    Expand Collapse

First successful lap around Baja Hills in the Custom 200BX:

Best attempt thus far at getting DrowsySam's Bora up Pike's Peak:

( ^ Crash happens right at the end for the impatient :p)

I initially bought it hoping I'd be able to rotate my thumb around the right touch pad to manipulate a virtual steering wheel, but I found an even better solution (though I'd still like the above to be implemented at some point).

Honestly, the fidelity in the motion control is better than I ever expected. It is controlled by rolling the controller left and right 80 degrees from vertical to translate to the vehicle's entire range of steering. It's a little tight and twitchy at times, but I never thought I'd be able to drive like this without shelling out for a racing wheel.

Is anyone else driving with the Steam Controller? What are you thoughts, experiences? Personally I haven't touched my Xbox controller or keyboard since.

#1 NewoFox, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. kingtonbarage

kingtonbarage
    Expand Collapse

i have used a steam controller but i was not at all familiar with what the buttons did so i gave up .annoyingly then my steering wheel started playing up

3. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

you never thought you could drive like that? as in over 60mph? just kidding glad the steam pad is working out.

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

The Steam Pad works fine with BeamNG.Drive, I tried that some time ago.
    If you open Steam in Big Picture mode, go to BeamNG.Drive and then in Controller Configuration, you can select 'PRESETS'. Which are community-made presets for BeamNG.Drive. There is a lot of variety. From those using the touchpads for steering, to one allowing you to steer with the gamepad gyro.

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice