Dynamic sounds?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Yotaak, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Yotaak

Yotaak
    Expand Collapse

A little while back I saw a photo that Gabe posted of an exhaust falling off / dragging on the ground.

And this started my mind up, I was wondering if you guys could implement dynamic sounds. For example, if an exhaust fell off the sounds could get beefier / meaner.

What else could this be used for?
    • Engine damage? (Clunks and such)
    • Exhaust leak?
    • Interior sounds
    • Many more

Tell me what you think of my idea.

#1 Yotaak, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  2. tuningfreak1

tuningfreak1
    Expand Collapse

already many times mentioned.
    they even said that they want dynamic sounds like in "lfs"
    i hope they get it right. sound is very important.

3. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

We're obviously planning on having awesome dynamic sounds, but everything is incremental. The first release will not have the final sounds and sound system. So we might not "get it right" initially but everything will be improved with time.

4. JackCossack

JackCossack
    Expand Collapse

Believe me, you won't. I've got experience in closed betas and I can assure you that BeamNG is most probably unplayable and bugged at this stage, however well it might look on videos. Things like that take time to be great.

5. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

Do you plan to have generated, or atleast customizable sounds like in Life for Speed?

6. David Fortsc

David Fortsc
    Expand Collapse

Who ever you've worked for or volunteered for in the past had no idea what they were doing. By the time a title reaches 'BETA' stages majority if not all of the bugs should already be worked out. That's the whole point of a BETA is to close up the final bugs and ship it for final version. ALPHA how ever, is an earlier version where more bugs are present and at this time it's when the title is more then likely heavily bugged and possibly unplayable. Even then, ALPHA is usually an in house only thing so it's majority of the developers playing it, and a few in house Q&A. ;)

7. JackCossack

JackCossack
    Expand Collapse

Oh, thank you, it was just me having no idea what I were saying. I've competely messed up beta with alpha. So ashamed I am.

To contribute to the thread, dynamic sounds could also be used to indicate engine knocking (assuming there are fuels with different octane ratings).

8. Kryotex

Kryotex
    Expand Collapse

Will be sounds changing while in cockpit? ( i mean some equalizing, enhance low bass and lower high sounds)

9. Yotaak

Yotaak
    Expand Collapse

Yes, that would be nice, or if your windows are broken the sounds would get louder, etc.

10. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Again, planned, but it probably won't be in the first release. Relax guys, we know what the sounds need to be awesome. It's just a matter of doing it, which is a lot of work (and we're focusing on other stuff right now).

11. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

How about noise by surface? :p But yeah, I know you guys are working hard.

12. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, sorry for bumping this but I thought I could add some interesting stuff. Some of you probably know how LFS synthensize their engine sounds based on a click sample and the amount of pistons in the engine (among with some other settings) Well, what I did was open up FL studio and loaded one of those click samples into it. I made it play about 5000 clicks per minute. And the interesting thing about this is that if you remove every 6th click, it sounds like a 6 cylinder motor. If you remove every 5th click it'll sound like a 5 cylinder and if you remove every 4th click it'll sound similar to a good ol 4-banger. Try it out on your own :) It's definitely a first step in making an engine sound synthensizer. And I think that an LFS style sound generator would be awesome because I have yet to play a game where the engine sounds are so trust worthy. You just can't reach that level by pitcing loops in my opinion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice