Dynamic Steering speed

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Nadeox1, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

When I play with the Gamepad, one of the most irritating problem is the fact that the steering gets too sensible for higher speeds, while on low speed it's fine.
    The analog acts like a wheel, which isn't much comfortable at some points, my suggestion was to make add another input method, like the one is ETS2, in which the steering factor decreases at higher speed (or something like that). I think it should help to make the game more playable.

2. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

That is what we had (and are working on rewriting) with dynamic steering. We will try to make it adjustable too. Blindly reducing rate with speed is not really good because there are situations where you need to make fast maneuvers, regardless of speed.

3. bits&bytes

bits&bytes
    Expand Collapse

I had the same in my mind, but realized that there are some situations which require fast steering during high speeds like gabster also mentioned.

My suggestion is to use a extra key (for example the left CTRL key on the keyboard) to press together with the steering keys for 'emergency' steering.
    So when normal steering, the rate decreases at higher speeds. But when steering while that specific key pressed, the rate goes to max (or the same rate you will have when standing still).

4. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Rather than an extra key, we can have some code logic that detects the situation (i.e. counter steering) to give you full lock and rate.

Really though, if you have an analog device like a gamepad, you should learn to exercise some precision with the analog stick, instead of basically smashing it from -1 to 1 and treating it like arrow keys.

5. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

Ladys and Gentleman, Captain Obvious in the House. XD

Jokes aside, of course you have to be very carefull at gamepad sticks, but with my original wireless xbox gamepad for pc, i just move the stick barely 1-2° max while driving 100+ km/h.
    Basicly im not even leaving the area in which the analog stick became loose over the last year... and its realy just so minimal that you dont even notice that the stick is very slightly loose in any other game (even games with barely no deadzoning).

Allready thought about to mod the steering ranges of the cars to achieve better gamepad steering, so i am realy looking forward to the rewritten dynamic input.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice