Easy to implement improvement for gear grinding

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by fufsgfen, Dec 27, 2018.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

So currently when you shift without clutch, there is sound and there is message that gear got damage, but shift does happen.

Improvement would be that gear is not changed, but remains at original gear instead.

For H-shifters you would need to put it to neutral or original gear to shift again, for paddles just try shifting again would be needed.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

support for ffb shifters (like the shifter pro-sim and quaife made) would be really cool. not using the clutch would sort of lock you out of the gear, unless you do it how you would in a real car without the clutch (down into neutral, wait for rpm to drop, and then pop it into gear at the perfect moment) and a grinding sound would play when you try and fight the transmission too much. however, if you really jammed it into gear, you could possibly get it to engage if your speed and rpm was close enough to match, and it would play some grinding sound but would switch your gear and maybe jerk your car around a bit.
    i would also love support for dog-engagement h-patterns, not just sequential trannies.

3. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

dog-engagement? So I can use a shifter for once?

for Christ sake...

4. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

no this is what i meant actually
    dog-box-transmission.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  5. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

Can you float-shifting in BeamNG?? I don't have a shifter so I cannot try it.

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Your dog box looks like kinda painful, I would not try power shifting with that, while FFB might be incredible strong, it might also have tiny change of skin piercing effect :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

yup, but it's tricky since most h-pattern shifters don't have anything preventing mis-shifts, so you can't preload tension on the gear stick and wait for it to want to pop into gear. you just have to listen to the engine.
    yes, but if you granny shift and treat it nicely, it will surely last a very very long time. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

We specifically decided against rejecting shifts since having a desynced h shifter is pretty annoying.
    There actually are FFB Shifters? Can someone link me to one?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Also shifts can happen if you're grinding and shift hard enough... I had to drive an old tractors with no syncros and clutch that was so heavy it required me to use my whole body mass + push myself against a seat (I weigh around 85kg) and even then the clutch wasn't fully disengaging. Later the owner just said that I can shift without clutch ajd if it starts grinding, use more force and it worked fine, cause if you put the trans in neutral it is kinda like you'd press the clutch and grinding the gear is like you'd dump the clutch and clutch wasn't exactly made for sliding or griping, so to shift without damaging the trans too badly, I had to just shift with a lot of force so grinding would be as short as possible and this way I had to just punch the shifter hard to get it in gear instead of jumping on the clutch.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

"For the synchromesh option you will not be able to shift gears unless the clutch is pushed, you will however be able to preload the lever prior to pushing the clutch the same as the dog engagement box.

Our solution allows preload because we are using a proper hydraulic system rather than just a cheap solenoid. This is critical because using something like a solenoid means if you apply preload and then activate it you would need to release the force before the solenoid would activate, a problem not encountered with hydraulics.
    "

this one really is a work of art if you've seen it in action. i believe there is at least one more shifter that has a lockout mechanism, and on youtube i've seen a couple of homemade ones that not only lock you out of gear, but can actually move the gear shifter different ways (like shaking over bumps or with torque reaction, or popping out of gear occasionally). not 100% sure what would make it pop out of gear in a simulator, i think the guy who made it has it for a random chance every so often when you have transmission damage in-game.

11. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Haha awesome, I can't find anything on the input logic though, is it analog? It really has to be to be useful, otherwise there's no way to slowly push it into gear (ie the hardware from normal shifters doesn't allow it, since it's essentially just a button for each gear, not an overall axis)
    The hardware really needs to be able to give the software some movement input at the same time as locking out most of the movement. And then it really also needs to be pressure sensitive.... :p

12. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

not sure about any of that, but when i plug my TH8RS shifter into my computer and open the controller settings, moving the stick around in the gates shows the actual real-time position of the shifter, not just what gear it's in. if it's in neutral underneath 5th gear, it shows it. if it's sort of in 3rd but not all the way pushed upwards, it shows that too. it uses a hall effect positional sensor rather than just a contact-based button.

13. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Interesting, what happens in BeamNG if you bring up the input checker thingy?

Cool to see how different companies do actually do stuff diferently. As far as logitech shifters go It seems like they are just contact points on neach gear, which is why my super worn out shifter sometimes detects 4th gear instead of 2nd.

14. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Nope, it is analog like potentiometer, but I think it was optical, their software just takes those values and makes it to be a gear.

Not sure why it wears out, maybe some component fails or dust makes it read wrong?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

The thing is full of plastic shaving from gear stick hitting the cover every shift. It is suprosingly durable, good 3.5 years of banging gears and it is still going strong.

• Like Like x 1
  16. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, I should of taken G25 shifter with me when I moved as I heard there is adapters to connect it to Thrustmaster, thing got only about year light use and wheel burned itself when connecting to computer after not using for long time, G25 wheels tend to do that.

Maybe I visit summer place next year and pick it up, if thieves have not robbed place clean :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice