Enable AI

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by Incognito, Aug 7, 2013.

1. sluggs

sluggs
    Expand Collapse

#21 sluggs, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  2. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

We can't promise anything more than a dumb "chase the player" AI right now. Having AI that intelligently avoids obstacles and "sees" is something AAA dev teams of 100s of people spend years on. There are 4 of us.

3. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Would it be possible to have bounding boxes a couple meters away telling the AI to turn away, its a little low-fi but it should at least help them out a bit. Main issues it they may have issues with narrow corridors.

4. Eggtooth

Eggtooth
    Expand Collapse

What do you think about system for Ai that was created for different game and different genre?

For example in Painkiller you have nice Ai construction where certain character moves on lines like on attachement. It's being created from floors, and freely editable by user. There could be some types and colors for AI's:

Yellow = Grass, low priority, where Ai doesn't really want to be here, only in critical situations like player is on the grass too or is somewhere unreachable
    Blue = Roads, high priority for Ai to stick to
    Orange = Side roads, medium priority, where Ai drives only when it wants to get closer to player

I know it is easier to look than make it, but it's the easiest and most flexible Ai system I could come up with, and yeah, I was modding Painkiller back in the day.

OR Another idea:
    How about something similar to Unreal Engine?

Like, you make a boxes that are being placed around objects, and when Ai gets closer, it wants to avoid obstacle. Simple as that :D Again, writing it can be pain in the ass, but well... you could try.

Attached Files:

• Ai.jpg
    #24 Eggtooth, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  5. EthanBacon

EthanBacon
    Expand Collapse

Yes now I can be chased!

6. Woovie

Woovie
    Expand Collapse

I suspect you have the manpower to create a simplified node following system so they stay on the road perhaps?

7. Bugatti-SAS

Bugatti-SAS
    Expand Collapse

Where must I put in these files?

8. Incognito

Incognito
    Expand Collapse

Extract archive in game (root) folder.

9. BNGD77

BNGD77
    Expand Collapse

Not very good with codes on comps so I'd rather wait for the next big update for this game from the dev's :)

10. Incognito

Incognito
    Expand Collapse

I think I fixed a bug when the AI ​​didnt work after the change/reset vehicles.
    Updated the first post.

11. Blade3562

Blade3562
    Expand Collapse

True crime streets of la worked like this. Certain roads were easier for them to follow while they wouldn't enter parking lots or grass fields.

You could make the AI like slots cars per say. That gets boring fast though. I mean it took ea 20 years almost and the still don't have totally smart AI for Need For Speed lol.

12. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I guess each map could have a "safe area" and then the car finds the fastest way past it using a bezier curve. If it was a race the players car would subtract from the "safe zone" if demolition derby it would aim for the players car. This would give a fully real-time ai with no following of set paths. They just figure out the quickest one on their way round to 0.1 of a meter to keep things running smoothly. Then you could add a small random variation into the path they take that may ofset the curve a bit. This would cause random AI crashes and scrapes of wall to simulate human error.

13. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Could do raytrace :p

14. ScorpyX

ScorpyX
    Expand Collapse

the problem is that now anyone can come up with a few ideas on "how to make ai better"
    but to make it really succeed can only individuals who spend a lot of time for work (say a year or more)

good AI - is very hard stuff even for good big team of developers

even in all of today's games - AI can only do very little action - and nothing else - in many games AI stupid as plugs
    This means that - it is pointless to require developers beamNG make good AI in a very short time (it's just not possible)

and the developers certainly know what they need to do first in spite of all the requirements..

and thanks Incognito - I think actions like this help developers reduce time of work on problems

15. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

The raytrace method would take a week or so

- - - Updated - - -

Basically use this algorythm

If object in front of wheels (on an angle that cannot be climbed) then start slowing down, if no object to left then turn left, if not object to right then turn right. If objects are to left and right completely stop and reverse until there are no objects to the left or right, only then willl the AI turn towards the direction that it first finds no object in

16. BNGD77

BNGD77
    Expand Collapse

what box is it i have to click?

17. Snibeti-Snab

Snibeti-Snab
    Expand Collapse

hthdfh.PNG
    That box :)

Attached Files:

18. BNGD77

BNGD77
    Expand Collapse

I clicked that box and they still don't chase so ill just wait for patch :)

19. Incognito

Incognito
    Expand Collapse

You are pressed the CTRL+T and choosed the desired mode?

20. jeffdesign

jeffdesign
    Expand Collapse

Thanks a lot!

tryed and work!

4 cars, 1 map and 25 mins of pure pleasure!!!

Without Glass, headlight, taillight, exhaust and fuel tank
    Car-p-s1.jpg

Broken driveshaft
    Car-4-e1.jpg

Broken steering
    Car-3-e1.jpg

Winner
    Car-2-e1.jpg

Broken steering
    Car-1-e1.jpg

Thanks again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice