1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Engine Over Torque Needs to Go...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WillGaming_, Nov 24, 2017.

1. WillGaming_

WillGaming_
    Expand Collapse

As the title reads, the engine over torque mechanic added in the West coast USA update needs to go...
    Or at least have an option to disable it.
    Might as well add an option to disable the new turbo sound ear rape as well.
    All my engines that used modded configurations that were making plenty of power keep exploding and I can’t drive 75% of my vehicles.
    And playing the game in safe mode with no custom vehicles is boring....

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  2. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

It's a realistic game boost

What causes them to explode?

3. WillGaming_

WillGaming_
    Expand Collapse

I have no idea I just pick any one of my custom/modded vehicles and can’t get past 3rd gear without my engine block blowing up

4. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

Might be because it was made in the older version of BeamNG, i had this problem, i had a custom etk and it always exploded. I Fixed it by customizing the vehicle in the 0.11 update. (Meaning i took a stock BeamNG Vehicle and tried to replicate the custom car i had in the previous version. And the car did not explode as much, still does if i use Nitro.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fox_TheGamer

Fox_TheGamer
    Expand Collapse

Having something to disable it would be nice but i really like the over torque, maybe just because i'm really heavily into the simulation and reality aspect. I agree whole heartedly with the turbo sound though. It's like a power drill right in your ear.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

If you want unrealistically high torque levels, you'll have to add an unrealistically strong engine block in your mod :)

• Agree Agree x 31
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Just out of curiosity, which cars/engines were you using and how much power were you getting out of them?

8. WillGaming_

WillGaming_
    Expand Collapse

I was using the stock hopper i6 engine (4 liter i think?) and a turbocharger which was adjustable. It was pushing about 25psi boost and making about 600-700 lb-ft torque I and I forget how much horsepower; 300hp area

9. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

So you essentially doubled the power and tripled the torque? No wonder it blows up...

• Agree Agree x 16
  10. Longbow

Longbow
    Expand Collapse

Dramatically increasing power will blow up your engine but there are no options to make the block stronger like in real life. I think having a stronger block as an option would be a better solution than disabling it.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  11. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

If your trying to add triple the power to a I6 hopper engine, it’s going to explode. Try using a more high end engine, or just change the engine block in the .JBEAM File. But create a backup!!!

12. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

You can include a stronger block in a mod, no problems with that :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Longbow

Longbow
    Expand Collapse

If my engine breaks using non modded parts i also expect a non modded option to stop the breaking. Best case was including it together with over torque but getting it later would also be nice. it could be something like a block part in the engine just like the nos/turbo.

14. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

There is no such customization planned for the short term.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Longbow

Longbow
    Expand Collapse

Too bad, i guess i will have to find a mod for it. But it really should have crossed someones mind. You guys do an amazing job with terminology like the afterfire but someone dropped the ball on this one. Can you at least bring it up or something please?

16. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

It's a design choice, you can't just put an additional 500kw in some cheap 2.0L I4 and expect it to work under any and all circumstances (there's really only so much you can upgrade in an engine...).
    Even if we offered "Upgraded internals" or something along the lines, that wouldn't solve your issue really. ;)

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
  17. Sparks4

Sparks4
    Expand Collapse

-Deleted my whole message as i hit he reply thing and that posted 2 messages so i deleted the above and that deleted everything.... ffs... What diamond is saying is correct.

Technically not many engine can survive an 100 or 200shot nos.... Which diamond is highly correct with nos. (With insane power from an turbo or supercharger its already stressed to high hell lmao. Nos is a easy way to blow up your car when you don't know what you're doing ) Dont expect your car to still survive when you are boosting it like crazy and then throwing an 100shot at it. I personally love the system as it is and i dont think it needs to be changed.

I mean upgraded internal when it comes to turboing an engine too. The stock engines to me seem too strong as they can take 500+torque... I don't think a stock engine with an stock botten end can take that much lol. More turbo options would be nice. Than just stage 1 stage 2 etc. More bigger and smaller turbos would be nice. And engine internal upgrades too.

#17 Sparks4, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. flybrisohi

flybrisohi
    Expand Collapse

For one, I appreciate the new torque physics, even though it means I'll have to adjust the configs of vehicles I've already spent hours on just so they're drivable. We may want to argue if it's implementation is too aggressive or not, but it's much more realistic now, and that's always a plus in my book. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Ultimate realism in these things is next to impossible to achieve, simply because there is no usable real world data on something like this. We always try to find the fine line between "realistic enough" and "still fun for the more casual people", so as with everything there will probably be a few tweaks here and there in the future. :)

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Sparks4

Sparks4
    Expand Collapse

Maybe an option for stronger engine blocks in the options menu for casual? And an (extreme) realism option?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice