1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Engine Over Torque Needs to Go...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WillGaming_, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

We don't really want to include such "Arcade" options (the possible list is very long: thermals, brake damage, radiator damage, etc etc) because it exponentially increases the workload for testing and chances for possible bugs. Many systems are interconnected and if you then have some sort of "invincible" setting this can cause issues in other systems that can be extremely hard to track down.

That's why we allow "unrealistic" data in jbeam for pretty much any of the relevant systems, it doesn't create any extra problems for us and modders are still free to create whatever they want.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Just increase the engine block strength in the jbeam files, I'm sure there's an option for it somewhere. This game is a simulator for a reason; if you want crazy unreallistic setups you'll have to make them work yourself :)

3. Longbow

Longbow
    Expand Collapse

It's a strange design choice if you ask me. And why wouldn't it solve the issue? Supra engines can reach 1000hp, they are expensive to upgrade and maintain and are bad for casual driving but it is possible. An na miata with a stock block is limited at 230-250 hp before it becomes a time bomb but upgrade the internals and you can go above that. I'm not asking for a 2l 4 cylinder engine to have 3k hp but when i put a stage 1 turbo on my 1.5l single cam covet (44 hp and torque increase) i would think it would last longer that have a lap on a circuit.

4. WillGaming_

WillGaming_
    Expand Collapse

How about an option to disable the over torque thingy. I’m pretty sure a stock engine block can handle 9lbs of boost from a turbocharger (the hopper’s i6 blows up even with 9lbs of boost) which seems unrealistic.

5. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Did you even read the post you quoted? I specifically explained why we don't include such options...

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I for one think this is quite interesting as it will add significantly to the in-game lore. On one hand you have the engines like the Barstow and Moonhawk V8s that can withstand multiples of their stock horsepower output, and then on the other hand you've got the engines like the Hopper I6 that seem to be made of tissue paper and frag after... not very long, just like in real life. The only thing I would say is that if the Covet frags in half a lap with the stage 1 turbo, that probably does need to be significantly increased, I mean it's practically an EF Civic and I've heard of a single cam Honda motor running just fine at over 700 horsepower, granted the internals were probably upgraded but I'm pretty sure no one makes a racing-oriented derivative of the 1.5L block like they do with Chevy motors. Also the stage 1 turbo is used in multiple official configs, how's that going to work? And same with the Hopper I6 cooking off at 9psi, that does actually sound a little aggressive to me, though maybe the Jeep 4.0L in real life is just as weak.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Sparks4

Sparks4
    Expand Collapse

Well considering that jeep is generally weak in reliability and.. Pretty much everything else.... (Aaand all the other American car brands.. And Honda the lawnmower company.. and Toyota..)

--I'd say its accurate.

*insert something about hyundai and kia being better here..*

--I'ma leave now before it goes crazy...

8. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

The Toyota 2JZ is a legend for a reason. Also, those tend to get questionable above 800hp.

9. MadZee

MadZee
    Expand Collapse

IMO, it should stay, but with some adjustments. It's strange that, say, the LeGran 3.8 V6 will happily take a supercharger, but not a 25 shot of nitrous. Realistically it should be able to take a 50 shot without real issues, but it won't make it to the end of the dragstrip with that.

Also, since the old Ford 5.0 V8 had an issue with cracking and a bandaid fix/precaution for that was to put a hoop around it, could something like this be implemented in Beam? As well as options for aftermarket blocks, of course

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. WillGaming_

WillGaming_
    Expand Collapse

Yes I did read the post. You were referring to the post that stated adding more options in the vehicle config and you explained why you don't add such options. I am saying you should add an option in the actual game settings that can disable the whole vehicle over torque thingy...
    IMO I think it would be a good option considering that the engine blocks in BeamNG are apparently made of paper mâché.
    (Apologies if I misinterpreted your response)
    Or if adding an option in the settings over complicates everything as you stated, you can tell the community how to tweak their jbeams to strengthen whatever engine blocks they want :)
    EDIT: After digging through the BeamNG files, I found the jbeam where you can tweak everything.

#30 WillGaming_, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  11. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

Actually, they did the exact opposite. They quoted a post stating that there could be options added to the game's option menu. Nothing was mentioned about the vehicle config menu in either of the posts

• Like Like x 1
  12. WillGaming_

WillGaming_
    Expand Collapse

Okay I see what you are saying. I did misinterpret the responses; apologies.
    However, I did just spend a few minutes tweaking my hopper_engine.jbeam and about to test it out! :D

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

No worries about that. We all misread posts all the time.

Tell us how the edit goes!

14. WillGaming_

WillGaming_
    Expand Collapse

JBeam editing went phenomenal. My hopper engine can push 93lbs of boost without blowing up. (It's my custom made drag setup :D)
    For anyone wondering, I recommend using the program Notepad++ to edit jbeams!

15. DuneWulff

DuneWulff
    Expand Collapse

I, for one, love the ability for the engine to throw rods through the block. When it first happened I wasn't expecting it and it scared the daylights out of me.:D In real life, if you shot 250kW into some anemic V6 from a grocery getter you will throw that rod into the stratosphere. So far I've had fun making engines that just withstand the threshold - enough to make you hold off on just driving and holding nitrous all the time but not enough that you blow the engine immediately.
    Plus, it is also really simple to make an engine that withstands the torque damage. It's just two lines that got added:
    Code:
            "maxTorqueRating": xxxx,
            "maxOverTorqueDamage": xxx,

4400 is for my Loud Pipes Moonhawk. That "maxTorqueRating" is absurdly high because the actual engine only reaches about 2600, but its just playing it safe.
    --- Post updated ---
    It is almost as if dumping ridiculous nitrous shots into a non-built engine is what caused me to bust #1 and #4 pistons in my old Taurus.
    Yes, the old Vulcan V6 was not a big fan of 100 additional horses out of nowhere. Luckily along came a forged stroker kit and motor that christmas. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

One idea I had was to replace block ruptures with piston/rod damage or just pushing the bottom end out of the motor. Realism is maintained and this would be a bit easier to fix with tuning stages, and too much nitrous would still render the motor non-functional without creating a situation where any form of non-factory power-adder on anything that isn't a V8 will auto-kill it.

In either case, I do hope this gets adjusted at some point. It seems from what I've read that the devs have just set the max torque capacity of these engines to just enough for the most powerful official config using that engine, even when in real life there are usually other things that will go way before the block will.

It might be worthwhile for the dev team to identify the real-life analogues of their engines, find the people who are pushing the stock blocks to their limits, and find out how much power they can get, reliably, out of those engines. Like I said, 700+ horsepower from a 1.5L single-cam Honda. It's happened. Also, Hot Rod Magazine once managed to turbo 1200+ horsepower out of a Vortec 4800 pickup engine (which they thought was a 5300) on all stock internals; eventually something (think it was the oil pump, but don't quote me on that) broke, but the block and internals were still going strong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. F150HD2002

F150HD2002
    Expand Collapse

Yes please, a disable option and useable Nitrous! Why in G's name add an update that just blows up almost every engine and make awesome power mods useless? And stronger clutches too! :confused:

18. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Because this is a simulator? Not many vehicles in game can handle a 200kW shot, but some can. The other sizes are usually fine unless the engine was already damaged. Keep in mind how massive 200kW is for most of these cars. Yes, there are IRL set ups that can handle a lot of power, but keep in mind what types of vehicles are in the game right now. The most expensive factory vehicle is the K-Series, which isn't exactly a track bred super car. Yes, some things can use some tweaking and some engines probably should be made to handle more power, but it's not unusable and its not blowing up every realistic set up out there.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. F150HD2002

F150HD2002
    Expand Collapse

Totally agree about the realism but in the real world you would not let anyone put 500kw NOS on a vehicle without a warning and a working engine as crazy as can be would not blow up the next morning. Just saying there should have been an "Arcade" mode engine setup or disable over torque option included to preserve previous modder's hard work an keep casual 200mph crashing loving idiots players like me happy. ;) I'm confident modders will fix this very soon with unrestricted blocks with nitrous and backfire enabled and that'll be even more batsh't crazy! :cool:

20. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Some of what was mentioned above wasn't exactly realistic. Covet dying in half a lap from Stage 1 turbo, Hopper blowing a block from 9psi, N/A LeGran not being able to take a nitrous shot that adds about as much power as its optional supercharger does, even the K-series from the dev videos, in real life, would probably snap a rod or implode a piston way before the block went.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice