Released Engine Power Calculator

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by cuytastic101, Aug 12, 2014.

1. cuytastic101

cuytastic101
    Expand Collapse

That is incredibly strange. I have a habit of checking and re-checking anything I create before sending it public. So, naturally, before uploading, I verified in Excel that the protected sheet is editable only in the proper cells. After you reported the problem, I downloaded and installed OpenOffice and re-verified that in both MS Excel and OpenOffice Calc the proper cells are still editable.

So. I am 100% unable to reproduce the problem you're having.

However, because I like making extra work for myself, I unprotected the sheet in Excel, selected the entire calculator and set the entire thing to Locked and Hidden. Then went through again cell by cell, Unhid and Unlocked the appropriate ones. Again. Then reprotected the sheet, saved it and re-verified again that in both MS Excel and OpenOffice Calc, the proper cells and ONLY the proper cells are editable.

EDIT:: Reading back in the posts... V1.0 didn't work for you because you use LibreOffice and I uploaded it in .xlsx format which apparently causes compatibility issues with the cell protection. Someone converted it for you to .xls and then you reported that it worked. Of course V1.2 didn't work for you either, it was also in a .xlsx format. So, here are two new zips:

BeamNG Engine Calc12_2.zip = a re-re-re-re-verified V1.2 .XLSX (note: this is the one that doesn't work with your office suite)
    BeamNG Engine Calc_XLS.zip = the same thing, saved as .XLS (last time, this format worked for you. so it most likely will this time)

If neither of these works, apparently get an office suite that works.

Attached Files:

#21 cuytastic101, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Actually I'm with the OP, in libre office the sheet works just fine for me. I can click in all the cells which are supposed to be editable, type some stuff (open office and libre office will not show a text box floating over the cell when editing contents as Microsoft office does), hit enter and the sheet updates just fine.

3. L0c4lh0sT

L0c4lh0sT
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for your work :) Nearly Perfect! :p

But can you edit the file so that the chart only display the RPM needed? Because when I edit an engine to act like a diesel engine, I dont need the chart to display 10k RPM.

Also it would be nice to start at 500 instead of 1000 rpm and maybe smooth out the curve by adding steps for 1500, 2500 etc. RPM.

Anyway, great work!

€dit:
    Also it would be nice to include the burn_coeff as it should affect the engine output

#23 L0c4lh0sT, Aug 13, 2014
  4. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I still have the same problem and its Libra office I use and I cant access the Teal coloured cells...I can click on the Output Cells fine but when it comes to the Input Cells...no dice it wont even put the box around them...might be a libreoffice problem...but can you give me an unprotected version of this please pm it to me please

The XLS version of this editor FINALLY works thanks seems it might have been an early version bug or something but it works now :D

My other alternative was to do a sacrifice to it :p

#24 RobertGracie, Aug 13, 2014
  5. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

oh, nice work :)

6. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Is it something you guys as Devs could use or even integrate into the game at all?

7. daveywaveyHD

daveywaveyHD
    Expand Collapse

Maybe if it was compiled into a folder with other content creation/editors out there for people who pick the game up and want to mod. Things like the node/beam editor, this and potentially other useful information so that people can easily edit things to their liking without having to search or create new threads on the forums. Either that or create a 'Mod' Pack, made for those who want to easily mod things in game. This would have been especially useful for me when i was setting up correct power to RPM ratios to double check that the torque and BHP matched correctly to real life stats. Just a small idea, it's just small helpful things like these that can take 20 mins extra off converting/Trial and error.

8. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Needs more work but it does have a lot of potential here to be a very very powerful modding tool to work on those engines to perfection although if your doing like an F1 car that revs up to 18,000rpm then you have a REAL Problem!

9. cuytastic101

cuytastic101
    Expand Collapse

I will add a couple 500RPM steps for V1.3 because I noticed that a lot of dev vehicle jbeams specify random ones like 500, 2500 and 5500 RPM, but it would be too tedious having to input 20 variables every time you wanted to use the chart if I put a 500 in between each current step, so just for ease of use, probably not.

A future version will include separate tabs for Diesel, Petrol and Race engines with subtle differences in the Dyno section to reflect characteristics of the different engines. The torque curve, idle RPM calculation and a couple of other things could be made much more accurate if I could apply different engine types. (i.e. an F1 engine revs WAY off the top of my current chart, and most Big Diesels are in their power band at 1200-1500RPM) Thanks for the input!

Also, Burn_Coef (I assume you mean burnEfficiency) has nothing to do with engine power output, it just sets your gas mileage in BeamNG. HP is a function of torque output at a given RPM. That's how HP is calculated IRL and how BeamNG does it as well.

There never was a bug, dude... you're the only one that had any issue and it's because YOUR office suite can't properly read .XLSX files. Again, the issue exists on YOUR COMPUTER. This isn't a bug, there's nothing wrong and never has been anything wrong with my calculator so stop insinuating that there was. Your. Office. Suite. Is. The. Only. One. With. Issues. Can't possibly be more clear than that. Actually, yeah I can, I'll edit the first post. But I'll say it here so your scrollin' finger doesn't get tired. We have solved this issue for you twice now, and I shan't be repeating myself a third time. LIBREOFFICE DOES NOT UNDERSTAND XLSX FILES PROPERLY. When I release future versions they will be in BOTH XLS and XLSX format. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE XLSX VERSION AND EXPECT IT TO WORK.

Thanks :D I could receive no higher praise than a Dev approval!

#29 cuytastic101, Aug 13, 2014
  10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

It isn't even just Libre Office, its just his machine.
    Untitled.png

On libre office with the version 12 spreadsheet in .xlsx, it works fine. I have no idea wtf RobertGracie is doing, but it works just fine here. It also works just fine in LibreOffice portable on my external hard drive, Libre Office on my desktop PC and Libre Office under CrunchBang linux.

11. cuytastic101

cuytastic101
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, thats good to know. I'll probably just upload them in XLSX then if only one person has an issue with it, and we have verified that in the 3 major office suites, then I'm going to chalk this "issue" up to PEBKAC. (Problem exists between keyboard and chair.)

12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Or PICNIC, problem in chair not in computer.

But ultimately us libre office users should have absolutely 0 expectation of this spreadsheet working for the simple fact that its libre office when the spreadsheet was designed in and for microsoft office. It would be no fault of the spreadsheet if it didn't work.

13. cuytastic101

cuytastic101
    Expand Collapse

V 1.3 released :D Uploaded in both XLSX and XLS format for compatibility. Updated first post with changelog and a new screenshot.

I've tweaked the Dyno section to be much more dynamic and versatile.
    -The Graph now auto-scales based on data in the chart.
    -The Chart is now EDITABLE :D Set your own RPM values. (because making separate sheets per engine type seemed like *shudder* ...work)
    -The Chart is now BIGGER :D To facilitate its editableness.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice