1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Error with the demo

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Smithy2997, Jan 21, 2014.

1. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

that won't work, windows sets all folder's in the root C:\ folder as read-only, and it can not be changed back, without moving it to like, my documents or appdata, which DON'T do that (and this is at default UAC settings), so seriously, why does everyone always say to put it in root C:\ folder's?

2. daniel_j

daniel_j
    Expand Collapse

lel whut?
    you are mistaken a lot i believe.
    I write to C:\ all the time, nothing there is locked, not even the Windows folder. :/
    A big problem with BeamNG is the fact that it tries to install to a HIDDEN folder of which not everyone has access too, especially if their PC has parental locks etc.
    Double check your facts ;)

3. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

Oh really, not for me, i run windows 8.1, with default UAC settings (and i use windows defender and firewall for all security stuff, with the occasianal scan from malwarebytes):

(imported from here)

as you can see, ive selected everything in my C:\ root folder, and its all read-only, if i try to change it, it instantly changes it back, your probably on windows 7, or have your UAC settings lowerd

4. daniel_j

daniel_j
    Expand Collapse

well, i'm on 8 too, everything of mine is default, nothing is locked for me.

- - - Updated - - -

you selected everything :| of-course it will say read-only because one of the files you have selected is read only....
    That also tells me you have hidden files set to not show lel

5. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

there all read-only, not just certain ones -_-, besides, ive installed beamng there once, windows keeps it locked, period

And as proof, my c++ class resources folder is in my root C:\ folder (for reasons of easy access):
    (Ignore horrible quality, youtube is being youtube, i recorded it in my monitor res)

as you can see, windows just re-locks it instantly

#25 logoster, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Been over this one quite a few times. I've checked and none of them are read only here, not one.

7. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

well, im on stock every uac or anything that could have windows do that settings, all stock, and it does that for me, so, yeah

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

See I have 2 stock windows 8 machines. Both unlocked, several other threads where you bring up this issue have people chiming in that they are also not locked. Just seems to be you.

9. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Looks like this is heading towards a reinstall of windows. :eek:

10. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

He better not turn into Mr. Watchdog. I know somebody remembers that special thread.

11. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

lol, still remember that, probably still has all the viruses, wont say any names either though, as said person is also currently banned apparently, but anyway OT:

i noticed you said it runs fine if you run as admin, so you're able to play the game, provided you run as an administrator? if so, then just right click the shortcut, go to properties, the compatibility tab, and check "Run As Administrator" which should then ALWAYS run as administrator

12. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

#awe
    I am honestly so confused to how any of this happened. It shouldn't work that way, so something's wrong, but I can't figure it out.
    (You also took part of my sig. ;))

13. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

well, if he has it installed in a place, where windows sets it as read-only, if you run as admin, it's able to bypass that, so if the read-only stuff was the OP's problem, then it makes sense as to why running as admin

(i have no idea what you're talking about, i've had this sig for AGES, and besides i don't see anything similar)

14. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

True, I am always an admin, so I don't have experience with that.

(I was talking about being open for a beta test. You might have had that first.)

15. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

ah, :p

(oh, that, lol, forgot i had that there, yeah, i added that when i added my cpu-z verifications, at which point you did not have it, at least that i remember, you might have, no idea, :p)

16. WacKEDmaN

WacKEDmaN
    Expand Collapse

I think you should learn about computers!...
    look at your image again....there is NO read only "check"...there is a half check tho...meaning the folder itself is set to read only...not the files inside (check! go into the folder and check the read only status of the FILES)
    there is 3 options for read only ... none..box empty no read only...checked..box with a TICK meaning full read only for everything incuding the files inside..and a box with in a box...half check or folder only read only ..
    this has been around since the days of DOS...its nothing new with windows 8.... :eyeroll:

there is no issue with installing it to C:\ or the root of any other drive.... there is a problem installing it to the %localuser%/APPS folder as users with a USER account and not Administrator cannot get full access to that folder without jumping through hoops...changing settings/gaining administrator access etc

/thread

17. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

..., no, not the case, at all, espeically that %appdata% part, you dont need to jump through any hoops to get to it, its litterally just a HIDDEN FOLDER, just press Windows key + R, type in %appdata% and boom, your in appdata, no admin access or changing settings needed, OR, you can type C:\Users\YourUserNameHere\AppData\ and hit enter, boom, your in appdata, once again, no admin access or changing settings needed, so if anyone needs to learn about computer's, its YOU

18. WacKEDmaN

WacKEDmaN
    Expand Collapse

ive forgotten more about pc's than you'll ever know!...
    the issue with appdata arises when the program you are running (in user mode not admin) cannot access the files in appdata ...just coz you can get access to the folder by typing it in does not mean that the program can get full access to it..unless its running with the correct permissions...

also installing to appdata with a limited user account, will only allow that single user to access it (especially if that user has a protected account, meaning other system users cannot access the user account who installed it)...

#38 WacKEDmaN, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  19. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Accessing AppData =/= full access to AppData...

20. daniel_j

daniel_j
    Expand Collapse

I have full access to %systemroot%, but why can't I delete everything? :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice