1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Error with the demo

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Smithy2997, Jan 21, 2014.

1. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

exactly my point

also, theshark IS Correct, Program files (x86) and Program Files tend to be set to read-only by windows, i have to pretty much run all my games as admin to run them, well, at least the ones that write logs :p (for example, gta iv and sa (mods :))

2. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

On every machine I've used, only those folders are read-only. No subfolders are read only, so a program needs permission to install files to Program Files, but not to install them to a folder within the folder.

3. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

A program can request that it has read/write privelages to its own install folder as part of its install process but default is not to. AppData is preferred for logging and settings as it is per user. %APPDATA% for one person doesnt refer to the same place as for another so each account on the machine can keep their settings seperate.

Oh, san andreas works without admin on 8. I don't have GTA4 though..

I dont actually have a single program which requires admin to run outside of a few windows debug tools.

4. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

well, in gta 4, i have some script mods, and to run script mods, you need an asi loader (which needs admin perms to create a file for logging) and scripthook, and depending on the mod, scripthook Dot Net as well (both of which, ALSO, need admin perms to create a file for logging) otherwise gta iv just gives out a bunch of failed to create/edit file errors, for gta sa, idk, but for some reason, it refuses to run without admin perms for me

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Logging isnt why they need admin. They need admin to hook into an already running process, windows restricts this ability because it can be exploited by malware so you need admin rights.

This is also why some of the debug tools I have need admin.

6. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

then why would gta iv error out with file writing errors? why not a failed to hook into gta4.exe message?

7. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Because it needs to hook into GTA 4's process to be able to produce a log? An .asi can't run itself, it has to be loaded by the game.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice