1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

EXPERIMENTAL: Vehicle Livery Creator / Dynamic Decals

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Dizboosta, Dec 13, 2023.

1. racerwill86

racerwill86
    Expand Collapse

have you tried equipping it in the parts selector?
    you probably have, but there are some real morons out there

2. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I have - it doesn't show up there.

3. Footage

Footage
    Expand Collapse

you have to add the livery, just like you would any other

also make sure you exported it, not just saved the file.

4. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

I have exported the skin. How do I add it?

EDIT: Turns out my issue was not re-enabling my mods.

#24 DriftinCovet1987, Dec 16, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dizboosta

Dizboosta
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Hi! I'm an UI developer. Not new, been here for a couple years but have been silent on the forums.

@all
    Thanks for the feedback. We need some time to process it and as I mentioned before, this is a very early version of the editor, it will definitely be improved later, so stay tuned.

• Like Like x 5
  6. racerwill86

racerwill86
    Expand Collapse

hate to be the guy pestering the devs as soon as they show up, but is decal mirroring planned to any extent?
    seems like a fairly easy thing to implement (i have absolutely no idea though)

7. Dizboosta

Dizboosta
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

We have a lot of things planned. In the meanwhile, if you want to explore a bit more, you can check out the World Editor version (under Window → Experimental → Dynamic Decals). This version is more of a dev-only UI but it does have a few extra features.
    Please keep in mind that as this is a very early prototype and basically an experimental version, there will be some issues and we are still working on the editor, so it can and probably will change a lot.

• Like Like x 4
  8. FordKing

FordKing
    Expand Collapse

For importing decals, white type of file do they need to be? png, jpeg, dds, or something else?

9. BrynCoops

BrynCoops
    Expand Collapse

All of the decals are in .png format, and as far as we can tell (from earlier posts in this thread) they must have a square aspect ratio (eg: 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048 and so on...).

10. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

Currently all decals in game are in png format but jpg will work just fine (no transparency data though)

As @BrynCoops mentioned, all decal textures at this point are square, 2048 x 2048 pixels to be exact.
    The projection works using a cube that's why all textures are square atm. You can import non-square textures but they'll appear stretched and you'll have to counteract with the scale values.

Edit: JPGs work just fine in the garage version of the tool. The editor version unfortunately has a filter in place so it only displays png textures. I'm going to change that for the next hotfix.

#30 meywue, Dec 21, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ByteGuy

ByteGuy
    Expand Collapse

I second the idea of having a folder that you can dump your images in and use them on decal editor. Would also be nice to not have to use cube/square decals but for a first implementation its amazing. Keep it up! :)

12. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

There's no need to unzip/zip the game's gameengine.zip file. Just dump your files into %LocalAppData%/BeamNG.drive/0.31/art/dynamicDecals/textures and it should work just fine.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. OxOtHNK_3A_CTAKAHAMN

OxOtHNK_3A_CTAKAHAMN
    Expand Collapse

i dont know if it t-series only thing, but editing placed decal always destroys the whole skin completely (all decals moves to the first placed decal or dissapears completely, and there is no way to fix it after this, even with undo)
    also scale hotkeys dont work while editing placed decal
    upload_2023-12-22_3-32-27.png 22-12-2023033041.jpg

14. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

Thanks for the report.
    Hotkeys in fact do not work when editing a decal, I'll forward it.

I'm not able to reproduce the first problem. Neither do the decals jump to another place nor do they disappear. Which particular config are you using if I may ask? Did you have any errors in log? Can you consistently reproduce?

15. OxOtHNK_3A_CTAKAHAMN

OxOtHNK_3A_CTAKAHAMN
    Expand Collapse

i am using T82 T-Series config, but i checked it and it happens on all cars(at least on the ones i tried)
    this error happens all the time when i am trying to editing any placed decal or delete it
    no erros in console
    also i dont know if it is a bug or just a WIP thing but if i want to make for example two-tone skin with square decal(for example) it wont really be placed properly (this is one decal)
    upload_2023-12-23_3-52-6.png

Attached Files:

16. FirebladeRX-7

FirebladeRX-7
    Expand Collapse

Finally got to sit down and play with this today, this is great. The placement and scale/skew parameters can be kind of finnicky, but it's easy to trick it into doing what you want it to do
    I also did some reading and started playing around with generating custom decals. Is there a maximum number of decals you can have in a category screen? Some of mine aren't showing up in the menu despite being the correct format, size, nomenclature, etc.
    screenshot_2023-12-24_17-57-05.png
    Looking forward to further updates, can't wait to make more race cars.
    screenshot_2023-12-24_20-07-12.png

#36 FirebladeRX-7, Dec 25, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  17. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

Have you tried renaming the files that do not show up and see if they appear in one of the other categories instead? There shouldn't be a limit.
    Do you mind attaching one of the decal texture file that does not work?

18. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

Thanks for the feedback.
    Some of these features are already implemented and do work in the world editor tool version and will be added to the garage version one after another.

• Like Like x 1
  19. FirebladeRX-7

FirebladeRX-7
    Expand Collapse

It would seem as though it sorted it's self out, I fired it back up and my missing Mugen Power decals were there in the menu, along with all the other ones... I'll take that as a win, lol.

A few suggestions I can think of:
    -finer resolution on scale/rotation/skew. I frequently find myself going up to 3 decimal places getting things where I want them.
    -Distortion in addition to the skew commands. I can't think of the word right now, but imagine taking the square shape decal and being able to pinch or expand the top or bottom to create a trapezoidal shape. would have come in handy on the Motul Covet.
    -a way to adjust the size of the preview thumbnails. some of them are kind of hard to see.
    -a color picker or a way to save color settings.
    -to be able to adjust the XY position of a decal when you go back to the edit screen after placed. Would be nice to scoot them around with the keyboard one pixel at a time.

Some way-out-there ideas that may or may not be feasible...
    -Window stickers would be cool
    -TTF/OTF font support for generating letter/number decals on the fly.
    -decals on wheels would be cool, probably would be buggy as all get out, but would be nice for changing colors or simulating brake dust.

BeamNGdrivex64_2023-12-25_15-52-29.png BeamNGdrivex64_2023-12-25_15-54-29.jpg BeamNGdrivex64_2023-12-25_15-54-47.jpg BeamNGdrivex64_2023-12-25_15-55-07.jpg
    --- Post updated ---
    I noticed something else while recreating a friend's S13 from memory as a joke... the 200BX likes to do strange things when applying decals, lots of noise that randomly appears on the door handles, mirrors, around the headlights, etc. I suspect this has more to do with the car and how it's textured vs the skinning tool and how it works.
    BeamNGdrivex64_2023-12-25_16-55-48.jpg SAM_0748.jpg

#39 FirebladeRX-7, Dec 25, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  20. bussin.buses

bussin.buses
    Expand Collapse

Wait, how does it work? I'm trying to make a retired sheriff Roamer, and I haven't yet had a decal show up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice