1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

EXPERIMENTAL: Vehicle Livery Creator / Dynamic Decals

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Dizboosta, Dec 13, 2023.

1. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

BeamNGdrivex64_seTEU0rzIJ.png

BeamNGdrivex64_6dRWtUgO0z.png

BeamNGdrivex64_yEE62rG3Km.png

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the world editor tool comes with a bunch more features since it's easier to iterate on. 'All' these features will eventually end up being in the garage tool.

• Like Like x 3
  2. bussin.buses

bussin.buses
    Expand Collapse

No one?

3. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

I assume you have hit the buttons 'Add layer' and 'Decal' in the 'New Layer' section?
    BeamNGdrivex64_z5FmXeRLLz.png

Do you have any errors in the log?

4. bussin.buses

bussin.buses
    Expand Collapse

Yeah. I'll check the console.
    upload_2023-12-28_9-58-28.png
    Here it is. I've just tried the Moonhawk, and decals work on it, but not the Roamer.

5. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

True, the Sheriff variant doesn't work here either. Thanks for the report. The system doesn't pick the correct material while it does work for other configurations of the Roamer.
    I'll have a look at it soon-ish. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Foxle_Fox

Foxle_Fox
    Expand Collapse

Is there any way to delete the file or the exported version after you've made one?

7. Footage

Footage
    Expand Collapse

there should be, exporting the file basically creates a unpacked mod file, so all you have to do is go to your mods folder, then go to unpacked, find your file, and delete it.

to delete the saved file I assume it's as simple as finding it in it's folder and deleting it

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. LucasBE

LucasBE
    Expand Collapse

I'm having a hard time trying to get this to work with my mods, from what I've seen it's quite literally just a folder with a json file and materials, but somehow it's not working. I know the question is a bit broad but some documentation on this new system would be great for modders :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

As @Footage mentioned, the exported skins are basically mods. You can check out the in-game Mod Manager and remove them from there.

However the project files you have to delete manually at this point.
    The project files for the garage tool version are located at: %LocalAppData%/BeamNG.drive/0.31/settings/dynamicDecals
    While the project files for the world editor version are located at:%LocalAppData%/BeamNG.drive/0.31/art/dynamicDecals/projects

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

Yes. You basically need a dynamicDecals directory that contains a jbeam part for the skin and a skinnable material. The material theoretically is just a copy of your vehicle's main material and then you add/replace the following properties in the 2nd stage of the material:

Code:
    "useAnisotropic": true,
    "instanceDiffuse": true,
    "clearCoatRoughnessFactor": 0.06,
    "baseColorMap": "@DynamicTextureBaseColor",
    "diffuseMapUseUV": 1,
    "colorPaletteMap": "@DynamicTextureColorPalette",
    "colorPaletteMapUseUV": 1,
    "metallicMap": "@DynamicTextureMetallic",
    "metallicMapUseUV": 1,
    "roughnessMap": "@DynamicTextureRoughness",
    "roughnessMapUseUV": 1,
    But even if the part and material are set up correctly you need to make sure the right material is selected so the system knows what material to project on since it only does an educated guess.
    You might want to check if that's the case in the world editor version of the tool under Advanced->Settings->Material
    BeamNGdrivex64_1SHH9eYvQd.png

In the jbeam part you can actually define which materials are supposed to be used like so:
    (Disclaimer: This might be buggy in the current version of the game!)
    Code:
    {
    "etk800_skin_dynamicTextures": {
        "information":{
          "authors":"BeamNG",
          "name":"Dynamic Textures",
          "isAuxiliary": true,
          "value":1350
        },
        "slotType" : "paint_design",
        "dynDecalMaterials": ["etk800", "etk800_extra"],
        "globalSkin" : "dynamicTextures"
      },

• Like Like x 2
  11. _N_S_

_N_S_
    Expand Collapse

The problem with the current implementation is that there is no way to extend the list of "valid" materials for decals, in case a "Dynamic Textures" skin has already been created for the car.
    For example, if for one of the standard cars (say 200bx) you decide to create a new body with a different material, there is no way to add a new material except overwriting the original "coupe_skin_dynamicTextures" part.

12. EUDM fanboy

EUDM fanboy
    Expand Collapse

suggestions: 1. the ability to mirror decals. 2. a way to create text without hand-placing each letter.

13. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

Both suggestions do work in the world editor version and just wait to be implemented in the garage version of the tool.
    There's still a few issues regarding mirroring that need to be ironed out e.g. the orientation of the flipped mirrored decal is wrong once applied to the vehicle.

BeamNGdrivex64_AO7eDX5O5q.gif

BeamNGdrivex64_ZHOsF9Y1Eq.gif

• Like Like x 2
  14. zip_kiev

zip_kiev
    Expand Collapse

Looks very interesting, but can this system in future be used to add old look to the vehicle - rust, oil, exhausts out, small dents, dust, water effect (clean car) on body? Or maybe you have other plans to add this? Because for now vehicles to clean, not realistic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Musicman27

Musicman27
    Expand Collapse

I was about to ask for this text generation feature, but this is even better than the "NFS Heat" style text system I wanted!
    --- Post updated ---

This error happened on the E Vivace, when I used more than 1 decal in a group and tried to edit one of them to make a Fake Company logo.
    --- Post updated ---

This error happened on the E Vivace, when I used more than 1 decal in a group to make a WDS (Fake company I made up) logo.

Welcome to the forums... the place for conversation and where speculation and tomfoolery run rampant.

--- Post updated ---
    One more thing... Will there be different fonts for the letters and numbers?

PS. sorry for the long post...

#55 Musicman27, Jan 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
  16. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

In the video I posted, the path layer with the text is actually not using any of the letter decal textures you see in the browser, instead it uses a TTF file which is referenced in the Font Path input field on the left hand side.
    So in theory you can use any TTF file and it should just work™.
    That's why there's a lag when I apply the first decal in the video since it was generating the texture atlas for the first time for this font.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Musicman27

Musicman27
    Expand Collapse

Looked smooth enough to me. (this is coming from a guy who plays Bick rigs, on a laptop, at 20 fps regularly though.)

18. Spacerobot

Spacerobot
    Expand Collapse

Is there or will there be a way to edit the Upfit of a vehicle like the Gavril H45 Cabster or Ambulance?

19. Captain Ramius

Captain Ramius
    Expand Collapse

Howdy folks,

I was fooling around with the new skin editor earlier, which I am loving by the way, and decided to try adding something like mud splash to my D-Series offroader, but I noticed that the decals seem to distort pretty badly in a couple spots on the Short Frame's bedcap. The two most prominent issues I've found are decals that are placed along the rear edge of the bedcap seem to stretch up over the roof and down the hood as well as decals that are placed on the bedcap near the B-pillars seem to jump from the cap onto the pillar. (I know, a lot of words, so I included pictures :] )
    Was just wondering if anyone else has seen something like this.

Also, while we're at it, a couple of quick feature suggestions:
    It'd be nice to have some sort of "decal perspective" choice. As of now, the decals seem to be applied based on camera angle, but an option to align decals with the placement surface might prove useful?
    It'd also be kinda nice to have some way to paint certain parts. Maybe separate layers with their own "Fill" for each part? (where the body, hood, doors, ect. can all be painted individually without having to absolutely smother them in decals :] )

Just my two cents. Anyways, let me know what y'all think.
    By the way, sorry if I doubled up on someone else's suggestions. Seeing a lot of good stuff on here already!

- Ramius

Attached Files:

• 20240118174415_1.jpg
    • 20240118174404_1.jpg
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. skel07s

skel07s
    Expand Collapse

only now am i seeing this post after creating my thread regarding the issue, and it is semi-clear that there should be a somewhat simpler way of doing this in the future. i'm fairly certain that a reasonably large portion of amateur players would have already been lost on what to do by the time they read the word 'directory'*, and even then it appears to go against the purpose of the skin editor - to make skin creation easier, presumably.

i'd assume a skin mod creation tool is already planned or in development, but just in case it isn't it would be a fairly good idea. i do, however, understand that modding isn't easily turned into a cakewalk, especially with the system at its current state.

*unless it is just me, then disregard the first reason.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice